Friday, April 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Friday, April 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:12 pm Interesting DD wager in the first round, and I think it's wrong. I've always wondered if it would be worth it to sandbag a clue at the end of the first round if you had a chance to pick first in the second round, and I'm generally against it...but this is an exception. You've got an almost 7% shot at getting the DD right off the bat. So, IMO, if Felicity is going to wager for a score of 5100 to get the lead against two 5000 scores....she may as well hold back an extra 100 so that she gets to pick first next clue. It's not a huge mistake, and if she wanted to make a significantly larger wager, I'd agree. But wagering specifically to eke out a 100 point lead? If that's psychological gamesmanship, it's still not really the best move.
I don't consider her wager to be interesting at all, rather the typical strategically unsound wager we've come to expect. It's a bottom row clue in a sports category, even though she answered two of the lower valued clues correctly, I don't think her chances on the toughest one are very good. For her, $5 was probably the wager that showed the highest winning chances. And if I'm underestimating her chances, then TDD is the proper wager.

Her chances of finding a DD on the first pick of DD were not 7%, they were well less than 1% because those are the odds of finding a DD in a top row box. So that thought is moot, at least for most contestants. I'd estimate the best chances one could have at finding the DD on the first pick to be 10%, eliminating the top row clues and let's say one category. So the question would be, are your winning chances better having $100 less but the first pick and a 10% chance on the DD in DJ vs. $100 more and someone else (who will almost certainly go to the top row) having the first pick?

It's an interesting concept but would very rarely be useful in practicality.

Pretty sad how late the DD's have been found this week. Nobody wants to win.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Golf wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:58 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:12 pm Interesting DD wager in the first round, and I think it's wrong. I've always wondered if it would be worth it to sandbag a clue at the end of the first round if you had a chance to pick first in the second round, and I'm generally against it...but this is an exception. You've got an almost 7% shot at getting the DD right off the bat. So, IMO, if Felicity is going to wager for a score of 5100 to get the lead against two 5000 scores....she may as well hold back an extra 100 so that she gets to pick first next clue. It's not a huge mistake, and if she wanted to make a significantly larger wager, I'd agree. But wagering specifically to eke out a 100 point lead? If that's psychological gamesmanship, it's still not really the best move.
I don't consider her wager to be interesting at all, rather the typical strategically unsound wager we've come to expect. It's a bottom row clue in a sports category, even though she answered two of the lower valued clues correctly, I don't think her chances on the toughest one are very good. For her, $5 was probably the wager that showed the highest winning chances. And if I'm underestimating her chances, then TDD is the proper wager.

Her chances of finding a DD on the first pick of DD were not 7%, they were well less than 1% because those are the odds of finding a DD in a top row box. So that thought is moot, at least for most contestants. I'd estimate the best chances one could have at finding the DD on the first pick to be 10%, eliminating the top row clues and let's say one category. So the question would be, are your winning chances better having $100 less but the first pick and a 10% chance on the DD in DJ vs. $100 more and someone else (who will almost certainly go to the top row) having the first pick?

It's an interesting concept but would very rarely be useful in practicality.

Pretty sad how late the DD's have been found this week. Nobody wants to win.
By "interesting", it was a polite way of saying "probably close to the worst possible wager she could have picked, unless I'm missing something". But as I often say, you can't know how you'll react under the bright lights, and it's a situation that she might not have been prepared for. I know I hadn't necessarily given it a thought until it happened, and while it's easy for me to see this wrinkle in strategy, I'm not having to make the wager in real time.

I have to admit that I've never given a second thought to matching DDs with categories. I suppose "sponsored" categories and/or video-heavy categories that are Clue Crew or celebrity-endorsed are probably less likely to harbor a DD? My gut would also shy away from wordplay, but I know I've seen a few of those, and they tend to be the easier ones.

And, I have to admit, my strategy if I were to get on the show would actually not involve DD hunting...at first. In the J! round, I'd definitely want to get my beak wet a little and see how I acclimate to the actual game. So, I'd probably frustrate you (and myself) a little bit. But if I were lucky enough to win, and I felt like I had a good hang of the game, I'd shift into DD hunting mode.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:49 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:35 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:50 pm
Was there a tease out metric for University of Michigan or were we just supposed to recognize the song?
There was a sizeable chunk of its lyrics... I didn't even need the audio.

"Hail To The Victors" is likely the 2nd-most famous American college fight song behind Notre Dame's. I can't even think of which one might be 3rd...
Actually, I'd put the 3 service academies at 1-2-3, but for other colleges, I'd say maybe ... USC? UT?
I'd also put Notre Dame's and Michigan's first and second. Of the service academies, I know Navy's is "Anchors Aweigh", and if Army's and Air Force's are "The Caisson Song" and "Wild Blue Yonder" I know them, but I don't associate them primarily with fight songs.

As far as others, i know Yale's "Boola Boola" is also used by other schools that you'd think would come up with their own songs. "On Wisconsin" is famous enough to have been an FJ that I missed. I sort of learned Columbia's for the sake of my old job on the tour bus, but it was a rare day when I could get a sing-along going.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:35 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:50 pm
Was there a tease out metric for University of Michigan or were we just supposed to recognize the song?
There was a sizeable chunk of its lyrics... I didn't even need the audio.

"Hail To The Victors" is likely the 2nd-most famous American college fight song behind Notre Dame's. I can't even think of which one might be 3rd...
"On Wisconsin" may well be more popular than "Hail to the Victors" as it is used by a lot of high schools as a fight song. My high school used it in Pennsylvania, and I videotaped HS football in the region and found that we weren't the only high school using it. I've read that over a couple thousand high schools use it as a fight song. The interesting part is, the majority of the kids hearing it don't know that it is "On Wisconsin". I know I never did back in HS.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

NHO the University of Michigan. That seems kind of obscure for a top row box. :twisted:

Mozambique was colonized by the Portuguese. Zimbabwe and the former Southern Rhodesia have been in the news for enough of the contestant's life that he should have recognized it after being spotted both capitals.

It may be of interest that Joseph Pulitzer's newspaper, the St Louis Post-Dispatch, hired a teenager as a war correspondent in the Spanish-American War. He grew up to be mayor of New York, Fiorello LaGuardia.

Altogether I have to say this was a weak game and a poor field of contestants. The middle man snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. His performance on the 2 Daily Doubles was thoroughly unimpressive.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I'd also put Notre Dame's and Michigan's first and second. Of the service academies, I know Navy's is "Anchors Aweigh", and if Army's and Air Force's are "The Caisson Song" and "Wild Blue Yonder" I know them, but I don't associate them primarily with fight songs.
I thought the song was Notre Dame's at first, but I know Notre Dame is independent, so I switched to Michigan. That is not a top level clue IMO either.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 am Altogether I have to say this was a weak game and a poor field of contestants. The middle man snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. His performance on the 2 Daily Doubles was thoroughly unimpressive.
We look forward to your impressive performance that we can all laud.

(Seriously; keep in mind the rules of this forum. Comments like these are really unappreciated. There are better ways to express your opinion.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

goongas wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:58 am
I thought the song was Notre Dame's at first, but I know Notre Dame is independent, so I switched to Michigan. That is not a top level clue IMO either.
Here in Ohio we get to listen to Michigan's fight song several times each year during the big end-of-the-regular-season rivalry game, right up until about the third quarter when Ohio State has put the game away and the Mee-chee-gan band slinks home. :D So that was an instaget.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 am The players found a way to quickly anger a part of a state when they could not recognize the Big 10 school's fight song. As a JBoard bonus for readers here is the full category:
I guess not everyone had the luxury of growing up with Square One
https://youtu.be/9tZt0Bmd2-A?t=332
morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 pm None of the players knew the French word for love and I’m dead
I clammed even though I knew the word, thinking there may have been a twist on the typical pronunciation

Hearst came to mind first, but Pulitzer made much more sense and in a rare turn of events, my switching paid off.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

GO. BLUE. *glares daggers at that school in Columbus*

Pulitzer seemed to make more sense than any of the other publishers I could think of, and I thought I vaguely remembered it being an Anglicized form, so I rolled with it.

Almost added the article and said l'amour.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:13 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 am Altogether I have to say this was a weak game and a poor field of contestants. The middle man snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. His performance on the 2 Daily Doubles was thoroughly unimpressive.

(Seriously; keep in mind the rules of this forum. Comments like these are really unappreciated. There are better ways to express your opinion.)
Perhaps I should review those rules again. My thing is that I like to see contestants win. I like to see them go gangbusters. I like it when at the end of DJ I'm wondering who is going to win. I don't like it when at the end of DJ I've resigned myself to that someone has to win because that's the rule.

There used to be a game show called where in the world is Carmen Sandiego that was on when I was a kid. The kid contestant on the show had to identify seven states or countries in like 30 seconds. I of course knew where all the states were so didn't need to watch that in order to learn anything. I was watching to see the kid win. if the kid was told to plant a marker on Georgia and he went to the Pacific Northwest, I immediately turned the TV off. I didn't want to watch that.

Jeopardy needs more days where we want to watch to the end because it's exciting and fewer days where people turn off the TV. Three contestants not knowing who was president of France in 1962 is not exciting.
Last edited by floridagator on Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I was off by about 150 years, said John Peter Zenger. The quote itself seemed to be of no help.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I got to FJ by the profoundness of the quote: "Our republic and its press will rise or fall together". Who was the anti-Trump of the era? Pulitzer didn't quite sound Hungarian, but I blanked on the name of the dude with the castle in California and the Orson Welles movie
Spoiler
this is a true spoiler: Rosebud is his sled :LOL:
. I was pretty sure it was a flowery English name. Next time I need to pull WRH, I'll start the recall process with the bank robbing Stockholm syndrome girl :).

I think the Wisconsin and Notre Dame fight songs are all I've ever heard of (excluding Service Academies).

I appreciate that players are given respect here, even if they have a bad hair day and make errors of omission and commission. Speaking of bad hair days, just wait another couple of weeks into these lockdowns and quarantines :Lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Lately many of the games have been uninspiring. I’m glad to finally see a repeat winner but who would think Hearst was a Hungarian? When his descendant Patty Hearst was kidnapped much was made of her pedigree.

I got Pulitzer instantly but that quote is a whole lot of nothing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I actually recognized U of M's fight song right away, which is weird since most fight songs I've heard seem to follow the exact same chord progression and have very similar musical phrases.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I decided to have a little fun with this game.

Instead of watching, I had my gracious wife design the game so I could try and feel out having control and implementing my style of DD-hunting.

Keep in mind I was the only one playing, so my scores aren't indicative of exactly how much I would have in the end, moreso to see if I could pinpoint the DD's, have a wager strategy, and get them right.

I started at the bottom 3 clues of WEAPONS OF WAR, over to CODE OF HAMMURABI for $1000, and then hitting DD1 in WEST COAST STATE HIGHER ED on clue 5, doubling up my score with my basic NCAA Men's basketball knowledge. I finished the round with $9400.

Start of DJ, I hit the perfect snipe with NOBEL LITERARY NOMINEES for $1600. The fact that it was "nominees" and not "winners" had me a bit wary, so I bet just over half with $5000 and converting with the psychoanalysis master and apprentice correct response.

I decided to immediately pivot to AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY for $1600 and $2000 (the category is common enough that my wife just pulled equal-valued clues from past episodes.) I converted those with no issues and landed on DD3 on clue 4 with and even $18000. With the middle of the category placement, and my confidence in geography, I bet big with $13000, and converted with ease, coming out with $31k just as the round began. I then finished the round with $44k, almost certainly guaranteeing a lockout.

I whiffed final, but still felt great and believed I had a good hold of the game and would have won barring buzzer difficulty. I'll be sure to try this again soon. :mrgreen:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (I don't need to say which three I missed.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Amour, (Gonzaga), Charles de Gaulle, Thomas Mann, Luigi Pirandello, Plato, Minoan, Rabat, (Zimbabwe)
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:13 am

Another thing, for the record: The story above about Fiorello La Guardia is entirely made up. I find no evidence that La Guardia ever was a reporter, and in 1898 16-year-old La Guardia was living with his family in Europe. He didn't return to the US until 1906.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 pm Another thing, for the record: The story above about Fiorello La Guardia is entirely made up. I find no evidence that La Guardia ever was a reporter, and in 1898 16-year-old La Guardia was living with his family in Europe. He didn't return to the US until 1906.
Source:

https://books.google.com/books?id=oC4tD ... 22&f=false
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 am
davey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 pm Another thing, for the record: The story above about Fiorello La Guardia is entirely made up. I find no evidence that La Guardia ever was a reporter, and in 1898 16-year-old La Guardia was living with his family in Europe. He didn't return to the US until 1906.
Source:

https://books.google.com/books?id=oC4tD ... 22&f=false
Thanks and my apologies...Sources are always appreciated. :oops:
Note that this bio-
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Mayor-Fior ... 138&sr=8-5
suggests that La Guardia's contribution was modest and states he never went to Cuba (see p. 13), and doesn't include this career in a chronology at the back of the book. Two other sources I checked on La Guardia don't mention it, nor is it noted in articles on the Post-Dispatch or Pulitzer. La Guardia's family did move to Europe in 1898.
But kudos for dragging that into the light of day! I could see it being used for color in a J! clue.