Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MitchO »

Well put me in the 10% category of apparently complete morons to most of you, because I couldn't connect the Canal to a ditch in time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 pm Well put me in the 10% category of apparently complete morons to most of you, because I couldn't connect the Canal to a ditch in time.
Neither could I, but you expected that.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Can anyone identify the woodblock-sounding percussion instrument that keeps time in the college "Think!" music?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MitchO wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 pm Well put me in the 10% category of apparently complete morons to most of you, because I couldn't connect the Canal to a ditch in time.
I think some of the POTUS's prognosticating skills (this virus is fake, etc..) rubbed off on me when I went out early with the 90% prediction :roll: . I've been on the wrong side of a couple of 90's this season and I thought I recognized the pattern. I guess I've just been fascinated with this thing since grade school. We must have studied it for the 50th anniversary, so it is an age and observer bias. I expected a 3/3, but I do get where the 1914 Pavlov's to WW1. I'm just hoping it hits 80% so I can claim a push on my fake bet :lol:. The whole project was notable for the French failure due to being too early with the technology and the medico that came and cleaned up the mosquito problem to control the disease (Yellow fever and malaria).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Clearly no sports fans among today's contestants. Emma had Northwestern in the Pac-12, while Sirad responded with Arizona off a clue looking for the Stanford Cardinal. Later, Sirad had Wendy Wasserstein writing about her experiences at the well-known northeastern schools of the Big Ten.

I was a little surprised by only one correct response of Panama Canal for FJ.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Good start for Emma, unfortunately, an ugly finish to say overall in this game.

Emma ran into the same cliche that contestants on regular episodes sometime end up doing. They start fast, next thing that comes, they start to disappear. In this case, Marshall slowly took advantage with every chance he got. Sirad struggled to get anywhere in DJ! and found herself trying to get out of the red once she negged on the $2000 clue in College Tales. It took her 6 clues to get out of the red and once that happened, Marshall eventually managed to chase Emma at that point, not only making it more difficult for her to tally enough money to have a chance for a wildcard spot with 8 clues left without getting outbuzzed by Emma or Marshall, but also, Marshall made the game much more competitive, thinking that Emma thought that she had it in the bag early.

The two negs probably had cost Emma a chance for a wildcard spot, especially the $2,000 clue in Art History. Had she left the clue alone, she would have lost only $3,401 and finished with $10,799, maybe putting up a wildcard spot early. It's illuminating that Marshall had negged on 3 $1000 clues in the first round and won despite trailing by a large margin.

Guess it goes to show that waving the white flag is never the answer when you are falling behind early. So yeah, great win for the sophomore, but holy crap...$12,800 lost by all three from the middle to bottom clues. Man...you gotta feel that the amount of money that was left from all the negs could probably have been a big difference in this one.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:43 am
NYCScribbler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 am I mentally facepalmed when the player from Princeton either missed or ignored every clue directly or peripherally related to Princeton and the Ivy League. And when the sophomore from Texas didn't get the one about sophomores, or Texas.
I thought the sophomore did get the question about sophomores.
He did.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Anyone else notice the pronunciation of sof-uh-mawr, by both Gilbert and Trebek? I think I've literally never heard it pronounced like that, and I know that Trebek is a stickler for his own pronunciation. I've always heard it as sof-mawr, but now that I think about it, Trebek's pronunciation is closer to, for example, Sophocles.

I'll take SILENT O for $400....
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:12 am Clearly no sports fans among today's contestants. Emma had Northwestern in the Pac-12, while Sirad responded with Arizona off a clue looking for the Stanford Cardinal. Later, Sirad had Wendy Wasserstein writing about her experiences at the well-known northeastern schools of the Big Ten.

I was a little surprised by only one correct response of Panama Canal for FJ.
Well, not college sports. The NFL's Cardinals are Arizona. (Is there a major college team that shares its name with the local pro team?...)
talkingaway wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:16 am Anyone else notice the pronunciation of sof-uh-mawr, by both Gilbert and Trebek? I think I've literally never heard it pronounced like that, and I know that Trebek is a stickler for his own pronunciation. I've always heard it as sof-mawr, but now that I think about it, Trebek's pronunciation is closer to, for example, Sophocles.

It's valid: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophomore
\ ˈsäf-ˌmȯr also ˈsȯf- or ˈsä-fə- or ˈsȯ-fə- \
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:16 am Anyone else notice the pronunciation of sof-uh-mawr, by both Gilbert and Trebek? I think I've literally never heard it pronounced like that, and I know that Trebek is a stickler for his own pronunciation. I've always heard it as sof-mawr, but now that I think about it, Trebek's pronunciation is closer to, for example, Sophocles.

Johnny Gilbert has never *not* said it that way.
AthenaTV

Post by AthenaTV »

Posting for the first time to answer the second question: R2 is specifically an Astromech droid, while Threepio is not.

Also want to mention that Venus of Willendorf is a pretty famous little statue, and a particular favourite of mine, so I felt the love of that clue. It’s not that you can narrow down the goddess from the information in the clue, it’s that some people will have actually heard of that little lady. Kind of like Venus de Milo, but a deeper cut.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm I'm sick of the R&RJ theme being used in college tourneys too, but WTF was the music today?!

Why was Johnny in the studio on a Monday? Staggered tapings for the championship?

Alphanumerics for $200 felt like a coinflip on R2-D2/C-3PO and I saw literally no way to narrow it down.

I didn't recognize a single thing in that TV category except for "Masked Singer".

0/5 in Language in Common and Personal Trainer.

I found the entire DJ! board extremely tough, other than What Do You Stand For? Couldn't pull EVOO since I was stuck on mechanical things in the kitchen, not culinary ones.

"Venus" seemed obscure for the top box since there are lots of gods of love and I saw no way to narrow it down.

Any reason I should know what state Matthew McConahughey is from? That seemed insanely esoteric.

1914 and "Big Ditch" just somehow didn't click with me at all. I was completely stumped. Even when Panama Canal came up, I was certain it was built in 1917.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AthenaTV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:53 pm Posting for the first time to answer the second question: R2 is specifically an Astromech droid, while Threepio is not.
That seems like an oddly specific detail that only superfans would know.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:05 pm
AthenaTV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:53 pm Posting for the first time to answer the second question: R2 is specifically an Astromech droid, while Threepio is not.
Or anyone who has watched the movie ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 pm
I have watched the movie and I don't remember "astromech" being prominent enough to be "$200 box, everyone who's seen Star Wars anything knwos this" material.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

I saw a couple of the Star Wars movies like 20 years ago, and even I know R2D2 is the mech. C3PO is just an annoying comic sidekick who does nothing.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:16 pm
I have watched the movie and I don't remember "astromech" being prominent enough to be "$200 box, everyone who's seen Star Wars anything knwos this" material.
I'm actually going to agree with you on this. I'm not a superfan, but I've seen all the main "Skywalker saga" movies and the two interloping ones that came out in the last 3-4 years, and had never absorbed the term "astromech". I can't see why R2D2 would be astromech instead of C3PO just based on etymology - they both seem to be machines, and they both travel amongst the stars. That said, I think of R2D2 as the "star/astral navigator". And I did know that C3PO is a "protocol droid" - basically a translator plus etiquette/customs.

I thought the TOM was the fact that he served TWO Skywalkers, but I looked it up. In the prequel trilogy (chronologically first), he served Anakin Skywaler. In the middle trilogy, he served Luke Skywalker. And in the last trilogy (spoiler alert for the very last scene!), he served Rey, who took the adoptive name Skywalker. Although maybe he "served" Poe more, since Poe was more the pilot. I'd defer to a superfan to determine that.

But TBH, when I saw the clue and "alpha-numeric", I immediately thought R2D2. I can't say why C3PO didn't come to mind, but it felt more alphanumeric to me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm But TBH, when I saw the clue and "alpha-numeric", I immediately thought R2D2. I can't say why C3PO didn't come to mind, but it felt more alphanumeric to me.
It still seems like a coinflip absent any superfan details, and you know how much I hate coinflips.
Golf

Post by Golf »

There is a thread for all this. Hint, not here. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm I'm actually going to agree with you on this. I'm not a superfan, but I've seen all the main "Skywalker saga" movies and the two interloping ones that came out in the last 3-4 years, and had never absorbed the term "astromech". I can't see why R2D2 would be astromech instead of C3PO just based on etymology - they both seem to be machines, and they both travel amongst the stars. That said, I think of R2D2 as the "star/astral navigator". And I did know that C3PO is a "protocol droid" - basically a translator plus etiquette/customs.
R2D2 goes in the 'mechanic' seat of Luke's X-Wing and can perform repairs in flight. (Hence, star mechanic)

R2 was also the one who'd always be jacked into some port or another saving the humanoids from certain death on the other side of the station.

I suppose this does require being able to expand 'mech' to 'mechanic' though
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

It's even simpler than this ... "Droid" is the little things that beep boop, C3PO is humanoid and speaks.