Thursday, April 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, April 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:35 am
Well, given the way things went, Joe was definitely, like a quote from the movie The Blues Brothers, on a mission from God. After seeing the first three quarterfinals go the way of the sophomores, he was probably thinking 'Okay...I have to seriously end this streak right now.' and definitely came in with guns blazing.
Except, of course, he hadn't seen those games.
Even if he had, why would he care if three sophomores had won?
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:35 am
Well, given the way things went, Joe was definitely, like a quote from the movie The Blues Brothers, on a mission from God. After seeing the first three quarterfinals go the way of the sophomores, he was probably thinking 'Okay...I have to seriously end this streak right now.' and definitely came in with guns blazing.
Except, of course, he hadn't seen those games.
Even if he had, why would he care if three sophomores had won?
Well, seeing that Joe's the only one representing a junior school, he knows that he's going to head in as the underdog. The rest all come from pretty good schools. And especially with the way they played, he probably knows that winning the championship won't be that easy. He's going to have to face three more rounds (Potentially) after the quarterfinals.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Beni starts with HOMOPHONES - "What is manner and manor?" Reading this, one sees 2 different words, but watching the game, I immediately thought, duh! don't need to say both words because phonetically they are THE SAME!! Then we get Beni again ("raise and raze"), then Xiaoke ("laps and lapse") - by this point I'm screaming at the TV - then a TS (Alex: "morning and mourning") and then finally Joe, hero!, responding with just "What is colonel?"

AND ALEX PROMPTS HIM!?!

"And kernel."

Losing my mind over this!!! :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:29 pm Beni starts with HOMOPHONES - "What is manner and manor?" Reading this, one sees 2 different words, but watching the game, I immediately thought, duh! don't need to say both words because phonetically they are THE SAME!! Then we get Beni again ("raise and raze"), then Xiaoke ("laps and lapse") - by this point I'm screaming at the TV - then a TS (Alex: "morning and mourning") and then finally Joe, hero!, responding with just "What is colonel?"

AND ALEX PROMPTS HIM!?!

"And kernel."

I never like it when they want two homophones. That's just a gotcha setup...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Morbeedo: I understand how in a normal game that would be infuriating, but keep in mind that in a quarter-final Tournament game, they play all 60 Clues.

If it really bothers you, grab a bottle of cream of tartar from the McCormick spice rack and have a pinch with your yogurt.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:53 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:29 pm Beni starts with HOMOPHONES - "What is manner and manor?" Reading this, one sees 2 different words, but watching the game, I immediately thought, duh! don't need to say both words because phonetically they are THE SAME!! Then we get Beni again ("raise and raze"), then Xiaoke ("laps and lapse") - by this point I'm screaming at the TV - then a TS (Alex: "morning and mourning") and then finally Joe, hero!, responding with just "What is colonel?"

AND ALEX PROMPTS HIM!?!

"And kernel."

Actually, I can see why they gave a double answer. Sometimes a wordplay category is something like THE END OF "N", where there's a pair of words, one with an "N", and one without, like "spring and sprig". They often only want one of the words, but I think if you give both words in quick succession, they'll usually credit you - it seems like a lot to ask of players in a pressure cooker.

But, of course, when you think about it, homophones are homophones because they, by definition, sound alike! There can be slight variations - even words like colonel and kernel might sound ever-so-slightly different.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:54 pm Morbeedo: I understand how in a normal game that would be infuriating, but keep in mind that in a quarter-final Tournament game, they play all 60 Clues.

If it really bothers you, grab a bottle of cream of tartar from the McCormick spice rack and have a pinch with your yogurt.
Oh you!

I'm so very bothered by it! :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:06 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:53 pm

AND ALEX PROMPTS HIM!?!

"And kernel."

Actually, I can see why they gave a double answer. Sometimes a wordplay category is something like THE END OF "N", where there's a pair of words, one with an "N", and one without, like "spring and sprig". They often only want one of the words, but I think if you give both words in quick succession, they'll usually credit you - it seems like a lot to ask of players in a pressure cooker.

But, of course, when you think about it, homophones are homophones because they, by definition, sound alike! There can be slight variations - even words like colonel and kernel might sound ever-so-slightly different.
Yes, that's why I narrowed it to 'homophones'. :lol: I'm not a fan of the 'give two answers' ones (because lazy) BUT at least it's two different pronunciations. But asking for "colonel" AND "kernel" is just silly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Morning and mourning do not sound alike to me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:42 am Morning and mourning do not sound alike to me.
I'd take the over that 20% of dove hunters wonder why there isn't an Evening Dove season :). The words sound the same here, except that it's good mornin' when used as a noun and the "g" is sounded when used as an adjective.
But - I just remembered - this whole rhyming thing blows up the board :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:59 pm Why do you think you “have a valid point” about it?

OK, I think the horse is dead enough now :?
Insert faint whinny sound here. :p

Again, the reason I bring this is because I don't feel that Bible Study isn't in the same category as the other subjects you're using for comparison. Whatever percentage it may be, and I'll certainly cop to not knowing how significant (or in-) it is, there ARE people who learned the Bible on the same level of learning English, Math, and other basic school topics. This isn't a "I don't like religion" complaint. This isn't "I wasn't exposed to sports". This is "disproportionate traditional learning in some people versus others". Does that explain it at all?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

MitchO wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:30 pm Does that explain it at all?
Nope. I give up :twisted:
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

cthulhu wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:35 pm
MitchO wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:30 pm Does that explain it at all?
Nope. I give up :twisted:
OK, same. :D
RougeGod

Post by RougeGod »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:10 pm Why are Bible questions "unfair"? I know nothing about English royalty but I don't insist it be removed from the canon.

On this one, I went the wrong way because I made a mistake I've made before - I default to thinking of "la" as a French article, not a Spanish one.
La is the Spanish feminine article and also the French one. I only got this one because "raia" doesn't sound French at all
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump for convenience.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Beni's face reminds me of 2-D, the animated lead singer of Gorillaz (although Beni seems to be doing better in the teeth department).