Tuesday, April 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:25 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:35 am The FJ! clue came to me quickly as "cartographic feature... passes" was enough for me to sniff out the feature and from there it would be sad if I could not figure out the country. Ouch if someone got the feature but instead picked a certain place in Africa.
Based on the wording of the clue, Equatorial Guinea would have to be accepted. Nowhere does it say that the cartographic feature or that particular town are located within the country in question, nor that the entirety of the country's name comes from said feature.
I didn't believe you when I first read your comment, but examining the clue again, you're absolutely right. Equatoreal Guinea should be accepted.
I wonder what they would do if someone lost the match because they said EG. In a regular game they could just bring them back later. But what could they do in a college tournament?
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Two things I didn’t understand from tonight’s show. First, the definition of congruent they gave for the area of the 3-4-5 triangle. I got the right answer, given what they said... but I don’t get what it means. And googling the definition of ‘congruent’, I didn’t see anything that appeared to match the clue.
And second... why was ‘using a pseudonym’ not accepted for the classical music clue?
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

I must have conflated "cartographic" with "geographic," because when I saw "passes near" in the clue, I started thinking of rivers or other bodies of water. Ended up with Nicaragua. First FJ miss of the tournament.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:35 am The FJ! clue came to me quickly as "cartographic feature... passes" was enough for me to sniff out the feature and from there it would be sad if I could not figure out the country. Ouch if someone got the feature but instead picked a certain place in Africa.
Based on the wording of the clue, Equatorial Guinea would have to be accepted. Nowhere does it say that the cartographic feature or that particular town are located within the country in question, nor that the entirety of the country's name comes from said feature.
I didn't believe you when I first read your comment, but examining the clue again, you're absolutely right. Equatoreal Guinea should be accepted.
I wonder what they would do if someone lost the match because they said EG. In a regular game they could just bring them back later. But what could they do in a college tournament?
If a College Championship alternate can get bumped to regular play then an unfairly disadvantaged player can as well?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 pm
If a College Championship alternate can get bumped to regular play then an unfairly disadvantaged player can as well?
I've always wondered that. Do tourney alternates generally get to play in the next year's tourney (ToC) or get an invite to general J! (Teachers' Tourney, College Week)? I assume for Teen Week that wouldn't work unless you got an IOU for 5 to 6 years down the road.

If there really were a case where an incorrect judgement would change the outcome, what would they do? Same thing - invite to another tourney and/or ToC? If they caught it in time, what would happen? Dust off the fourth podium from 1990's Super Jeopardy if it happened in the semis?
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Steppenwolf wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:46 pm And second... why was ‘using a pseudonym’ not accepted for the classical music clue?
That was a dumpster fire of a clue. I not only know Fritz Kreisler composed violin music, I have performed some of it (as an accompanist)...and I had no idea what the intended response was. I suspect the contestants, like me, didn't believe they were looking for something so simple that can be automatically inferred from the other information in the clue.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 pm

I've always wondered that. Do tourney alternates generally get to play in the next year's tourney (ToC) or get an invite to general J! (Teachers' Tourney, College Week)? I assume for Teen Week that wouldn't work unless you got an IOU for 5 to 6 years down the road.

If there really were a case where an incorrect judgement would change the outcome, what would they do? Same thing - invite to another tourney and/or ToC? If they caught it in time, what would happen? Dust off the fourth podium from 1990's Super Jeopardy if it happened in the semis?
TOC alternates get invited back for the next tournament. At least that’s what I was told several times. :mrgreen:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Steppenwolf wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:46 pm Two things I didn’t understand from tonight’s show. First, the definition of congruent they gave for the area of the 3-4-5 triangle. I got the right answer, given what they said... but I don’t get what it means. And googling the definition of ‘congruent’, I didn’t see anything that appeared to match the clue.
And second... why was ‘using a pseudonym’ not accepted for the classical music clue?
I have a Ph.D. in mathematics and taught mathematics at a university for more than 20 years, and I have never, ever, ever heard the term "congruent" used that way. Fortunately, the desired response was clear enough.

I also thought "using a pseudonym" was a valid response for that clue as "written".
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Wow...nobody could have saw this coming.

Finding a winner in this game was extremely difficult, given the way how those three played to get where they are in the semis. Nibir had to rely on FJ! in his quarterfinals to get the top wild card spot, Joe gambled the dice to win his quarterfinal match, and Londyn won despite not getting a DD. Coming into this matchup, Nibir was a huge underdog in this one, especially given that Joe and Londyn had better winning odds (According to The Jeopardy! Fan) than him.

I'm sure Londyn could have won about 30-40 percent of the time...if this were a different matchup, or if we were to repeat this matchup 20 different times, she could have won most of them. She was dominant in her quarterfinal and did pose a bit of concern in this one. Even Joe could have played along with this, but having lesser odds than Londyn. Nibir upended a competitor who won the most money won to secure a semifinal spot in Joe ($30,200), and a fast-buzzing competitor in Londyn (47.37% on buzzer, was tied with Tyler Combs on that stat heading into the semis). But boy was this matchup a really difficult one to sort out.

It seemed that Nibir wasn't unfazed at all in this matchup. I had a sinking feeling that his quarterfinal match showed that he wasn't his best, and he wanted to make up for it. Boy was that the case. Once Nibir built a giant lead halfway into the first round, it made things a bit uncomfortable for Londyn and Joe. However, during the other half of the first round, that was where Joe started turning up the aggression and Nibir suddenly went quiet. Once the start of the DJ! round came, it looked like Joe came on strong, but got trumped by Nibir, as he continued to stay on top and built a good enough lead in which made it hard for Londyn to win in her position. Going 3-for-3 on the DDs really helped Nibir in contributing the win. I wished he had a much larger lead, especially given how dominant he was in the first round. It almost was reminiscent of yesterday's game where the one player built a giant lead, and almost blew it completely.

Well, this does give Nibir some hope, heading into the finals, hoping to do well against Tyler in the rematch. But who will be the winner tomorrow will be a different story. Nibir better enjoy this for the time being, because he's going to need time to prepare mentally against Tyler in the rematch because he got crushed in the quarterfinals by Tyler solely in the DJ! round. Can't wait to see how this tournament ends...
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I focused on the Bamba instead of the Guayll and went with Equatorial Guinea.

Interesting facts about Equatorial Guinea: It's a kleptocracy where the dictator recently had constructed for himself the world's largest yacht.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, that would have been a real mess if someone had answered that and it affected the results. Rare careless pinning on their part.

We saw a flamenco show in Seville last year. I was surprised to learn that flamenco is very popular in Japan, and there are more flamenco academies in Japan than there are in Spain. Sure enough, most of the audience at the show appeared to be Japanese.
davey

Post by davey »

A Wray wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:20 pm
Steppenwolf wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:46 pm And second... why was ‘using a pseudonym’ not accepted for the classical music clue?
That was a dumpster fire of a clue. I not only know Fritz Kreisler composed violin music, I have performed some of it (as an accompanist)...and I had no idea what the intended response was. I suspect the contestants, like me, didn't believe they were looking for something so simple that can be automatically inferred from the other information in the clue.
Definitely too obvious. My response was "improvised." He could have "commissioned" them, I suppose.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

This FJ! broke my streak of 7 straight gets. The town name and rest of the clue led me to the right area, but I couldn't narrow it down and guessed Venezuela because I think that is next to French Guiana...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had Ecuador for FJ, but my wife had Equatorial Guinea. I figured the name was similar to Guayaquil, which is Ecuador's largest city.

I think I have to agree with cheezguytv that Equatorial Guinea is an acceptable answer based on the wording of the clue.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 am This FJ! broke my streak of 7 straight gets. The town name and rest of the clue led me to the right area, but I couldn't narrow it down and guessed Venezuela because I think that is next to French Guiana...
I was thinking 'Isn't it regular ol' Guyana that borders Venezuela?', and went for a quick Google Map check to confirm. Noticed that the border between the two is shown dashed, wondered why that is, and down the rabbit hole I went...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:52 am
Yeah, that would have been a real mess if someone had answered that and it affected the results. Rare careless pinning on their part.
Seems very easy to pin, too. Just change "the" to "its". Sloppy.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6602

8 TS up for grabs though only one in the J! round. That J! round TS clue had me laughing as my cabbie friend uses it in the slang definition.

CONGRATULATIONS, GRADUATES! $200: Now to deal with that $200,000 in student loans! Here's a ticket from this lottery held across 45 states! Good luck

One correct response was named, but there is another acceptable one as far as my research shows.
Really? Only 8?

I know I scooped up 6 of them.

Someone on this thread says he expects to get- 50+ right in the College Championship games. Not me. For every one an old guy gets because it's "old guy material," there's one I that makes me stand and stare because no one under 25 has ever heard of it. Sot it's a wash.

And J.Q. Adams rises from the dead again to stump three kids, just as it was the stake through Bob Harris' heart in a tournament FJ years ago. He wrote that he might have known the answer if he had bothered to go see the movie Amistad when his friends invited him, but he declined because he was too busy studying for the J! tournament. The irony.

The city name in the FJ clue included some form of "Guaya…, " which made me think of Guyana. Then I thought of Guayaquil in Ecuador and thought, "well, that's a country that is actually named for a map feature that runs through it." Done.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 am This FJ! broke my streak of 7 straight gets. The town name and rest of the clue led me to the right area, but I couldn't narrow it down and guessed Venezuela because I think that is next to French Guiana...
What does Venezuela bordering French Guiana have to do with the question?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I latched onto "Guayllabamba" as seeming vaguely Welsh and wondered "does Wales have swales"? Despite the awkwardness of trying to force the square peg swale into the round hole cartographic it was the best I could do.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone else confused by Classical for $800? I was trying to say "ghostwrite" which seemed to fit better than "write them himself."

Precalled Harry Potter/Sorceror's Stone in Book Chapters. Got only that and the DD.

Graduates was entirely over my head. Had no idea that the Powerball was held in more than one state.

"Cartographic feature" was completely throwing me for a loop, and the name "Guayllabama" wasn't getting me anywhere. I ended up without the tiniest bit of a WAG, and have no idea how this went 2/3.

Lach Trash: brownout