Thursday, July 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

20th Century History

Post by Bamaman »

On September 2, 1945; New Zealand Air Marshall Leonard Isitt put the final signature on the document that ended this.

Spoiler
What is World War II? Brooke said segregation
Neil $3,600+$3,600=$7,200
Emma: $9,600+$2,400=$12,000
Brooke: $12,200-$7,001=$5,199

Emma winnings are bumped to $15,000.

I felt bad for Neal. He seemed to be very nervous, but he at least finished above zero and even came in second.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 20th Century History

Post by jeff6286 »

legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Neil $3,600+$3,600=$7,200
Emma: $9,600+$2,400=$12,000
Brooke: $12,200-$7,001=$5,199

Emma winnings are bumped to $15,000.

I felt bad for Neal. He seemed to be very nervous, but he at least finished above zero and even came in second.
And an EMma incorrect response would have meant Neil tied. But I suspect they'd have done a tiebreaker like in 2002 to see who got the $15K. Hopefully they'd declare co-champs if a tie happens again during Kids' week, but who knows.
That's two out of the last three days now, where someone has made a wager that could have resulted in a tie game. I want to see a tiebreaker question, damn it! Maybe the third try will be a charm on Friday.

Man, between yesterday's pop culture category and today's celebrity and animation categories, I'm really going to have to study up if I am ever selected for Jeopardy! Kids' Week. Most of the Disney Channel people in the celebrity category I had at least heard of, but several of the answers in the animation category did not even sound remotely familiar to me, even after the correct responses were given.

That was definitely one of the worst cases of nerves I have ever seen on Jeopardy!, but it was quite impressive the way Neil finished the game. Too bad for him that he didn't go to the Roman Times category earlier in DJ. I have a feeling he would have breezed through that category if they had had time for the rest of the clues. He definitely earned some fans on this board for doing something that we are often frustrated by the adult Jeopardy! players for not doing enough of, that being betting as much as he can on a Daily Double, even if you have to tell Alex to shut up and let you risk all of your money.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I felt bad for Neal. He seemed to be very nervous, but he at least finished above zero and even came in second.
Unfortunately, he came in second solely because of completely off-the-wall wagers by the others. I mean, yeah, they are kids, and I don't expect much, but yesterday's (?) wagers told me that some kids might know wagering strategy.

(And I definitely foresee an appearance in http://lookatthisjeopardycontestant.tumblr.com/ for Neal.)
jeff6286 wrote:Man, between yesterday's pop culture category and today's celebrity and animation categories, I'm really going to have to study up if I am ever selected for Jeopardy! Kids' Week. Most of the Disney Channel people in the celebrity category I had at least heard of, but several of the answers in the animation category did not even sound remotely familiar to me, even after the correct responses were given.
I got all but the last one in animation, thanks solely to my kids' viewing habits (I excitedly told my 8 (soon to be 9) year old daughter that today's game had Justin Bieber, iCarly, and Spongebob in it, her 3 favourites. (And that since I clammed iCarly (or should that be iClammed iCarly?) she would have beat me in a J! question))
jeff6286 wrote:He definitely earned some fans on this board for doing something that we are often frustrated by the adult Jeopardy! players for not doing enough of, that being betting as much as he can on a Daily Double, even if you have to tell Alex to shut up and let you risk all of your money.
He did here. Not quite so much for the max wager, but for the "I'mma let you finish" moment.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Re: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS

Post by MarkBarrett »

In a strange way I felt I was watching a celebrity episode of Modern Family tonight.

43/57 for me with 4/10 in Celebs and Animation.

Trilobite seemed like a tough one for a kids DD with or without the 3-part hint.

What did Neil eat for lunch? That seemed like more than regular nerves. Alex (did a good job during the show) must have said something to Maggie & Co. after the show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:43/57 for me with 4/10 in Celebs and Animation.
I think I was 1/10 in that, getting only SpongeBob.
Trilobite seemed like a tough one for a kids DD with or without the 3-part hint.
I know I didn't come up with it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bummed about Brooke missing FJ; Galway is right around the corner from me, could drive there in 10 minutes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Unfortunately, he came in second solely because of completely off-the-wall wagers by the others. I mean, yeah, they are kids, and I don't expect much, but yesterday's (?) wagers told me that some kids might know wagering strategy.
After reading this post and your kudos to some bad betting earlier this week, I suspect your Wagering Evaluation Engine needs recalibration.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Given her response to FJ!, clearly Brooke was not joking about not being a fan of social studies.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Unfortunately, he came in second solely because of completely off-the-wall wagers by the others. I mean, yeah, they are kids, and I don't expect much, but yesterday's (?) wagers told me that some kids might know wagering strategy.
After reading this post and your kudos to some bad betting earlier this week, I suspect your Wagering Evaluation Engine needs recalibration.
Stefan, you've known me long enough and well enough to know that my Wagering Evaluation Engine has never worked. I don't think I even have one. :mrgreen:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012