Monday, April 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CIVIL WAR PEOPLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before they were photographed together in 1862, Lincoln wryly noted this general "should have no problem" sitting still for it

Sarah Jett Rayburn: 14400-6000=8400 (2x = $39,400)
Lauren D'Souza: 8700-5701=2999
Matt Ribel: 9800-9798=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
(George) McClellan (Sarah – Grant) (Lauren – Sherman) (Matt – Who is… She ?)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 1200-1200
Lauren: 8200+2500
Lauren: 10700-2000

Coryats
Sarah: 14400
Lauren: 9400
Matt: 11000

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sarah: 4800
Lauren: 3400
Matt: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was double correction day.

WHO MADE THAT? $400: Here’s a switch…the game called "Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020"

Matt was negged and later got a correct response though only after Sarah got a rebound for the expected response.

Sarah lost a correct response, but it was not a neg when she gave a one-word sail name that Alex accepted when the clue wanted the 2-word name.

Let's rehash the chat topic discussion again. Sarah talked about her preemie baby (a little older now) along with mentioning the NICU and lo and behold that name comes up in GENERAL HOSPITAL.

Penelope's cameo:
Spoiler
If you love howler contestant mistakes then Sarah has a classic in ZULU as she named the singer under the Miss Monster mask instead of the African leader.

Runner up for contestant error is a style of music instead of the instrument heard in STARTS WITH "Z".

Sarah got to give an oral thesis in the FJ! round where usually not a peep is heard aloud from contestants during that round. Sarah's thinking made sense to me as I also went away from the correct name in fooling myself that he was not a typical name for the last part of the game. If it was a ToC I would have had it right.

Instead of matching Sarah I went a different foolish way and wrote Stonewall Jackson in taking the clue in the photo-sitting sense and having that match up with his nickname. I know it was silly to have a Confederate general meeting with Lincoln at that time, but could not make myself go for the right name. I deserve the miss.

If anyone figures Grant is too easy and is not familiar with the right guy then it opens up a lot of ways to go wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6616

11W and 9 media clues. Ugh! And I still have to edit in later all of the jibber jabber from the FJ! round after I catch a replay with the CC on as I turn it off for the FJ! round to get a clean pic of the winner.

Edited to add: Extra chatter in for the FJ! round now.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one who took the Stonewall Jackson route.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Had two Union generals in mind whose names started with “M”, and picked the wrong one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At first I thought they wanted two names. Once I figured out it was just one I got it right pretty quickly. I did think he was a little obscure for a regular play game but he made sense given the clue.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

History is a weak category for me, so I'm a bit pleased with myself for getting "McClellan" fairly quickly and being satisfied with my reasoning.

The correct pronunciation of "Concord" (with a schwa in the second syllable) is a homophone for "conquered". Lauren's pronunciation is not, but the judges have accepted much more egregious things lately so I shrug my shoulders and move on with life.

Have there been many more ruling-reversals recently than in the past? Perhaps the writers should be putting more "also accept/do not accept" guidance on the response sheet. Based on what I just quickly read online, Sega is a valid alternate response that I think the writers should have anticipated. If that response is accepted initially, it changes the scores and the flow of the game.

I also thought the "flying jib" clue was pretty bad. The "two word" specification was way at the beginning of the clue on a clue where the contestants are looking at the video screen and not at the written-out clue, and "I like the cut of your flying jib" isn't a thing. But the biggest mystery is why Alex initially accepted the response. It would be easier for me to understand ruling against Sarah, then giving her back her money because of the suboptimality of the clue.

Yeah, get off my lawn.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

24/30 in J! , missing only Seoul/soul, Atlanta, Elementary, Charmed, 300. I also said just "jib", but reverted it to a clam per the judges' rulling.

General Hospital for $400 was MASSIVELY ENORMOUS negbait for "code red". My jaw dropped when both red and black were negged, and I was like "what else could it even BE?!" Can't say I've heard of a "code blue" before.

I didn't know "hot mess" meant attractive. I've only ever heard "hot mess" to mean "terrible"; i.e., "you look like a hot mess" = "you look like crap".

Can't say I've heard of "Bantu" before. I ended up 0/5 in that category.

No guess on FJ! After Sherman and Lee were both ruled out, I was completely stumped as to who it could have possibly been. McClellan does not ring even the faintest of bells for me.

Lach Trash: zloty, zither, Adidas, censor. Also got the Keto/Quito and defibrillator DDs.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ was a matter of figuring out why Lincoln would say that about him, and once it clicked that he was mocking him for inaction, that + 1862 made it a cinch.

Chaka Khan... :lol:

"Strange things happen under the lights", so I'm going to assume that Lauren just froze on that defibrillator DD.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:26 pm
The correct pronunciation of "Concord" (with a schwa in the second syllable) is a homophone for "conquered". Lauren's pronunciation is not, but the judges have accepted much more egregious things lately so I shrug my shoulders and move on with life.
Not trying to devolve into one of those endless pronunciation discussions, but living in New England, I have almost always heard the town pronounced as “Con-cord”, correct or not, and couldn’t for the life of me figure how it fit the clue. Your post helped.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:36 pm
"Strange things happen under the lights", so I'm going to assume that Lauren just froze on that defibrillator DD.
Back-to-back Daily Doubles, 1R and 1W, but even with 2R she falls short of the lead with 1 clue remaining. What else is there to say... sigh

Messed up with Zlot for Zloty, Xhosa for Bantu, radiology for hematology, but otherwise this game felt a bit easy / straightforward

Hot mess and Chaka Khan both had me screaming

+1 McClellan as the only one that made sense and remembering he was dismissed early on, then ran against Lincoln in 1864

THANK YOU, Alex, for sparing us the pain of hearing Conquered/Concord, Niece/Nice, Soul/Seoul. "You don't have to give two words", and for one brief shining moment, everything was right in the world again
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said McClellan.

I used to have a girlfriend from New Hampshire who was adamant about the pronunciation of Concord.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $33,200 (45R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Brain too slow on several bottom-row clues today. Lately, I've been almost automatic on DD2 and DD3 (41/42 over the last 21 adult episodes) but mediocre on DD1. Go figure...

Came up with FJ right away but doubted myself just a bit because McClellan is maybe the 5th-most famous Civil War general, at best.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Leander wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:26 pm
Not trying to devolve into one of those endless pronunciation discussions, but living in New England, I have almost always heard the town pronounced as “Con-cord”, correct or not, and couldn’t for the life of me figure how it fit the clue. Your post helped.
I appreciate your comment, since I had the impression that the schwa pronunciation was the local pronunciation. Thanks for setting me straight.

I lived in central Pennsylvania for four years and had to train myself to say LANK-uh-ster rather than LAN-cast-er.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Sarah got to give an oral thesis in the FJ! round where usually not a peep is heard aloud from contestants during that round.
Let's hope they don't start making a habit of allowing that. Awkward explanations = bad box office
Otherwise, she is a very pleasant contestant.
TenPoundHammer wrote: I didn't know "hot mess" meant attractive. I've only ever heard "hot mess" to mean "terrible"; i.e., "you look like a hot mess" = "you look like crap".
Ditto this. Even so, I guessed that's what the clue wanted in my head just before Matt gave his response.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The full Lincoln quote: “General McClellan and myself are to be photographed tomorrow A.M. by Mr. Gardner if we can be still long enough. I feel Gen. M. should have no problem on his end but I may sway in the breeze a bit.”
davey

Post by davey »

So as so often before, as soon as Alex started on his post :30 explanation, I finally realized what the clue was getting at... :roll: But it does seem a buff's clue...Oh, well, I might have put a d on the end anyway. Cause I'm not such a buff... ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fun to see Sarah's 11-year-old daughter. (2009 is the last time Easter was on April 12. It was April 12 this year as well, but I used my superior deductive skills to rule out that possibility.)

Surprised to see zloty AND zither go begging. I didn't need all the information given in the clue to pick up either. European money starts with z. Zloty. Instrument that starts with z heard here. [Pause momentarily to make sure it's a stringed instrument being strummed]. Zither.

Thought that first DD was a little cruel. Specify 4 letters for the diet and don't mention that the homophonic city has FIVE letters. I joined Matt in negging with Lima as the only 4-letter Andean capital I could think of. I did also think of Quito and ruled it out as having an extra letter. I didn't put together the correspondence to "keto" and the 4 letters applying only to that until after the correct response was revealed.

The censer in the picture was the kind suspended on a chain for carrying and swinging purposes. It's specifically called a thurible. So give yourself credit if you went with that.

Went with McClellan knowing essentially nothing about him. I figured that was sort of the point. If I can tell you something the guy did in the war, as I can with Grant and Sherman, that makes him a bad guess. If McClellan had been ruled out somehow, I'd have probably gone with Burnside.

I'm a fan of Sarah's color commentary on her guess. I know it can't happen all the time, and I'm not at all worried that they'll let it. So it was a nice change of pace.