Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

Tencent wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm My favorite show has been letting me down a bit recently.
Charlie Parker's nickname was Bird not Birdman. It was strange. I am a jazz dork and have never seen him or heard him referred to that way.
Beyond that, searching for Birdman on Amazon gets no Charlie Parker. It was weird that they accepted it.
I just deleted a paragraph. Instead I'll just say I agree that incorrect extraneous information has been accepted quite a lot lately.

Today's FJ! is the kind of clue that I tend either to get right away or rack my brain and never get. I got it today, but could have easily missed it some other day.

(second edit for grammar)
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Our meme reference from the first round:

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hammer: Can you pick up a station from another market, perhaps even in Canada? Maybe you could get an amplified indoor antenna.

Interesting that Jesse negged twice on questions pertaining to the telegraph.

Instaget FJ. I was thinking for a minute it would be a tie, but then figured, no, he wouldn't bet zero.

I will not miss all the talking out of turn we've had this week.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 pm Hammer: Can you pick up a station from another market, perhaps even in Canada? Maybe you could get an amplified indoor antenna.
Someone put the episodes on YouTube completely devoid of any bot-thwarting trickery and I was able to watch both J! and Wheel before said bots took them down.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Funny to see Mary Ann Borer mentioned above because I’m catching up on old episodes and I’m watching her now

+1 Bucharest

Quick solve on Final, after concluding “don’t leave home without it” is not a question

TIL - Flagstone was the original Flintstone name

Any of the GOAT players wouldn’t have hesitated to come up with Kit Carson. I matched the players with needing a lot more time on that capital city clue

The fun thing about watching old episodes is you see the material repeat. Nevertheless, I missed fuzzy logic again after just seeing it and making a mental note to look that up

Sarah seems super sweet and she plays well, but I’m a purist so I won’t miss the extraneous chatter during Final
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm Rivers was also very imepenetrable. Any reason I should know where the Tigris river is?
I'm going to try to avoid sounding snarky, but the Tigris should be known to everybody as one of the most important rivers in the history of civilization.
Not to mention being in every newscast about the Iraq war over the last nearly twenty years.

But apart from these two tiny footnotes in the history books, no, no reason whatsoever that anyone should ever have heard what or where the Tigris is. Don't give it another thought.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Idle question:

I know what the rule used to be, but I don't know if the rule has changed.

In a clue such as today's FJ, the correct response itself is a question. So is it necessary to say "WHAT IS 'What's in your wallet'?"

Would it be negged if you wrote down only the slogan?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 am Today Jesse was able to use a double 5600 on DD2 and a sole solve on the FJ! clue to take the title.
He didn't need the solve since he wisely wagered to win on a triple stumper. The solve did get him an extra $3600 minus taxes to buy himself something nice. So, definitely worth it.

Add me to the list of those who expected a reversal on Charlie "Birdman" Parker. I wonder if Sarah was thinking of Clint Eastwood, director of the 1988 film Bird which reminded her of his starring role in 1979's Escape from Alcatraz which made her think of the 1962 film Birdman of Alcatraz. Yeah, that's probably it.

I went with Belgrade for that DD but had some misgivings when Opusdottir guessed Bucharest. I still felt my answer was stronger, but Bucharest isn't ridiculously far off. About 55 miles north of the Danube according to Google. Give it some urban sprawl and it'll get there in 20 years, tops.

I got Goody Two Shoes and nominate that for the weekly poll. Along with another box for those who guessed Polyanna, if there's room. I think that's a darned good guess, though 1765 is too early. Looking back over it, I notice I ran the CHILDREN'S LIT category, including the Thumbelina TS. Yay me.

I also ran NICKNAMES and FIGHTING FOR AN OSCAR. In the latter category, I precalled Robert De Niro, thus accurately predicting the subject matter that would be covered.

I also got Morse which was a surprising TS, especially when Jeff gave the other two time to think by guessing Bell. 1844 inventor somehow connected with sending messages. I have to think that all three could have made their way to the correct response fairly quickly if they hadn't been under the lights. A sobering thought for those of us who are killing it from the couch when we imagine it would be just like that for us under game conditions.

On the other hand, I failed to register the key word in the clue asking for "the ORIGINAL last name of the animated Fred and Wilma". So I looked at a picture of flagstones and called them flintstones. :oops:

Poor Sarah clearly needed to say "Salome" out loud to get what she knew to be a wrong response out of her head. As soon as she gave up and blurted it out, the mental pipes cleared and Scheherazade was next in line. She said it immediately but not quick enough to beat Alex's neg or the buzzer. Fortunately it didn't matter since she wouldn't have won on her FJ miss even from first place. It's a clean loss on the heels of some cliffhanger victories. She's going home with a lot of good memories.

(As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)

I came to the correct guess fairly quickly on FJ and would have been comfortable naming the question or the company. I spent the rest of my time trying to remember the Charles Schwab slogan that came out in that timeframe, plus or minus 10 years. I knew it involved the name "Chuck" and I was pretty sure it wasn't a question. So I wasn't too worried by my inability to recall it. But if FJ had been asking for "Talk to Chuck", I'd have been sunk.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Tencent wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm My favorite show has been letting me down a bit recently.
Charlie Parker's nickname was Bird not Birdman. It was strange. I am a jazz dork and have never seen him or heard him referred to that way.
Beyond that, searching for Birdman on Amazon gets no Charlie Parker. It was weird that they accepted it.
Yes. I was appalled.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

2/4 on big clues. 37R. Lots wrong. Missed Scheherazade and Belgrade. Listening to Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade now.

I read "Island of the Blue Dolphins" as a class in 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade at the same school. Somebody messed up the curriculum and nobody has ever believed me. The teacher probably read it to us out loud in 2nd grade instead of having us read it.

Missed Dia de los Muertos with Halloween. For some reason I was sure that the A in AIDS stood for Acute. I missed Trapper John but should have been able to get that, I watched several seasons of M*A*S*H because it shows up on Jeopardy! so often. And it's a good show. I couldn't think of Charlie Parker fast enough. I got stuck thinking of a capital named after Davy Crockett and missed Carson.

I always get the capitals of Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar mixed up. I would have said Phnom Penh on the rebound.

I'm surprised that "The Planets" was a triple stumper when spotted Holst. It's not the first time that's happened. Just seems weird. The contestants were very knowledgeable.

Thanks for archiving the game so quickly. That's been happening a lot recently and it's always appreciated.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

I got to the FJ question pretty quickly, but I wanted to discard it, since it didn't seem to me it had been around that long. I figured I was missing some iconic investment company slogan like "When E.F. Hutton talks..." But I had no other comparable question, so I wrote "What's in your wallet?", confident of the form, at least...
I wonder about this: We've been told the contestants are told to start their questions during the commercial break. What if someone had unthinkingly added "in your wallet?" to "What is...", ignoring the contraction? Would they have got away with it? It seems less egregious than getting Charlie Parker's nickname wrong, but who knows?

Apparently a question mark is not considered part of the slogan-
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... unces-2011
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The Thursday hex strikes again. I was charmed by Sarah, but FG nailed it when he described the extracurricular chatter as talking out of turn. It would be just fine if the show makes a little space to let the players share their quickie insights. But don't step on the toes of the winner.

I see no reason for Sarah to even mention Bird or Birdman in her response for Charlie Parker, so no reason to neg her for a blown embellishment. It's something that would have been hard for AT to correct in real time, and not important enough for a re-visit as an errata. Without the boardies, I would have been dumber as a result. Like the time the moops invaded Spain :lol:.

I was able to pull the FJ but thought it was AMEX until reading this thread. We got the expected suicide wager, but I'm glad she went for the big payday on a sole solve / miss by leader.

I liked the "broken" category and am not surprised about the stumper on rupture. It's kind of an outdated term kind of like nervous breakdowns, smoker's cough, and female frigidity. The Oscars category was the easiest set I've ever seen. I couldn't pull the title of Million Dollar Baby but knew the flick they wanted.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the whole capital of Laos thing. Listen for yourselves and take a stab at how you would transcribe what Jesse said.

https://youtu.be/5dXp2pMFuDc
Spoiler
The archive has Vietieng. My closed captions have Viet Tieng (similar, but two words). I'm not hearing the final g at all. I think I'd neg him if Viet Tieng were the correct response. Overall, his response sounds awful close to correct to me, maybe Vietiane rather than Vientiane. When Alex says he mispronounced it "too badly", I wouldn't take that to mean "really badly" so much as "if you'd done it only slightly less badly we could've given it to you."
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm Thanks for another fucking unnanounced fucking preemption, you goddamn rude assholes at WNEM. I thought we weren't doing this shit anymore.
Bobby! Language!
In and out of the pool four times
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 pm I wonder about this: We've been told the contestants are told to start their questions during the commercial break. What if someone had unthinkingly added "in your wallet?" to "What is...", ignoring the contraction? Would they have got away with it?
That's a great question. What an awful way to lose if it turned out they wouldn't accept it! I'd lean toward accepting it or maybe inviting the contestant back if the nightmare scenario happened. It could be argued that telling contestants to write "What is" ahead of time was misleading. In this case, I wonder if they'd have been wiser to tell the contestants not to write anything because the correct response would be a question. Hmm. No, that gives away too much, I guess. Then the contestants have time to brainstorm famous advertising questions before the clue is revealed. How do you spell relief? Have you driven a Ford lately? Does she or doesn't she? Can you hear me now? Where's the beef? What would you do for a Klondike bar? There probably aren't too many.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 pm
Spoiler
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm Thanks for another fucking unnanounced fucking preemption, you goddamn rude assholes at WNEM. I thought we weren't doing this shit anymore.
Bobby! Language!
Please tell me you're saying that in a Hank Hill voice, because that's the way I'm hearing it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm Oh, yeah, I forgot about the whole capital of Laos thing. Listen for yourselves and take a stab at how you would transcribe what Jesse said.

Spoiler
The archive has Vietieng. My closed captions have Viet Tieng (similar, but two words). I'm not hearing the final g at all. I think I'd neg him if Viet Tieng were the correct response. Overall, his response sounds awful close to correct to me, maybe Vietiane rather than Vientiane. When Alex says he mispronounced it "too badly", I wouldn't take that to mean "really badly" so much as "if you'd done it only slightly less badly we could've given it to you."
Yeah, I think he just turned the first five letters of it into the first four letters of Vietnam. As for Alex's comment, I think his definition of "badly" is "actionably."
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:58 pm It could be argued that telling contestants to write "What is" ahead of time was misleading.
Even former contestants get this wrong: the contestants don't write a verb before FJ is in play; they are instructed only to write a "who" or a "what," and I've witnessed at least one contestant have to have their slate cleared because they wrote "what is."
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm (As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)
Gotta disagree there--Scott omits an entire syllable. But thanks for the link, as I spotted a typo in the FJ clue and submitted a correction.
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pmOh, yeah, I forgot about the whole capital of Laos thing. Listen for yourselves and take a stab at how you would transcribe what Jesse said.

Spoiler
Both watching live and watching the clip you thoughtfully included, I heard "Vietienne." Agree with your interpretation of Alex's comment. If Jesse had included the first "n", they'd have had a much harder time negging him.
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:04 am
reddpen wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 pm
Spoiler
Bobby! Language!
Please tell me you're saying that in a Hank Hill voice, because that's the way I'm hearing it.
Never watched the show, but I can't control the voices in your head... yet. I was just channeling my grandmother.

Couldn't figure out FJ in time. Maybe if I'd gone through the interrogative words?

LT: Thumbelina, LSU (though can't say for sure I'd have rung in--seems rare for a military institute to morph into a state university), Morse, Vientiane, rupture, The Planets, Scheherazade.

Had to read Island of the Blue Dolphins in about fifth grade and could barely stand it. Can't imagine having to read it three times.

Should the archive add an Erratum on the Bird clue? Cuz no one's ever called him Birdman till now.
In and out of the pool four times
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I gotta defend the judges on the Charlie Parker ruling. Nicknames for people are by definition informal and unofficial, and they weren't asking specifically for his nickname, just his identity. So I think they would and should have accepted "Who is Charlie 'Sax God' Parker?" or "Who is the master of bop himself, Charlie Parker?" or "Who is my all-time favorite musician, and OMG, Alex, I'm so excited I get to say his name on TV, Charlie Parker?"
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

To confound the whole Bird/Birdman controversy, I gave a really weird response - I said "Charlie Bird". Would that be a neg? BMS? Accepted? I'm about 99% sure I'd get Parker if given a BMS. In argument for "accepted without any argument", I think "Bird" alone could be a reasonable response, since the clue doesn't specify that you can't give the nickname, and I didn't add extra info that was wrong. It's like saying "Bloody Mary" instead of "Mary I". But on the other hand, in modern parlance, I don't think I've ever heard him referred to by just "Bird" alone - I've always heard/read Charlie "Bird" Parker. So maybe it's like "Big Papi" for David Ortiz - a little too informal for J! to accept without giving the real name.

I almost swept the fighting category. Precalled Rocky. Got Gladiator in the nick of time after at first mistakenly thinking Crowe was heading towards Million Dollar Baby - nope, that was Cinderella Man. But that primed me for the clue two rows down. I got as far as "I coulda been a contender" on the last clue for "On the Waterfront", but couldn't pull the title in time.

I short-circuited the first "F" clue by responding "front" - which is, indeed, both the front of a building AND a deceptive display. If I'd noticed that "front" was already in the clue...duh. And I similarly got zapped on the computer logic clue by ignoring the computer part - fuzzy logic exists, and it's not WRONG, it just means you allow true, false, maybe, and everything in between as possible logic values. I said fallacious, again not reading the whole clue because wordplay makes me jumpy. (Also, fallacious isn't a great Scrabble word.)

I find that when I love a category, I often find I have a case of huberis. Not so with 80s TV - ate that one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Is "Bush 41" acceptable? How about "Bush the elder"? "Daddy Bush"? HW is so clunky.

Final was an instaget, but I searched my brain the whole time for an alternative, because it didn't quite feel right. In fact, it IS in my wallet. Kind of a lame slogan now that I think about it. I had no idea it went back to 1999 - I thought it was far more recent, like maybe 2010ish. I'm going to miss FJ! Chat with Alex and Sarah.