WWTBAM returns to primetime

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm Let me help you out:
Alex: And that does it. And I'm going to make an executive decision here; Ed is on the board with -$1100, but I think we wipe that out and credit--let's make it a +$1100--

[Applause]

Alex: --and that way he'll be around to play in Final Jeopardy!

Ed: Thank you so much.
Wolf Blitzer will be so disappointed.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It hardly needs to be said, but if this rule had been thought out and established prior to Alex's impromptu sign flip of Ed's score, then a rule that could be applied with more consistency than a sign flip would have been established, otherwise celebrity players' more effective winning strategy would be a laugh-it-up wrong-answers-only race to the bottom.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I do recall early celebrity games where the losings were multiplied by (-1). When did they start just making their score $1,000?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:38 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:32 pm The archive doesn't have any details about the first Celeb game it happened in, so don't know if Alex even remarked about it:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2586
So, was it in place before the first time it happened? Or was it decided at the moment?
Let me help you out:
Alex: And that does it. And I'm going to make an executive decision here; Ed is on the board with -$1100, but I think we wipe that out and credit--let's make it a +$1100--

[Applause]

Alex: --and that way he'll be around to play in Final Jeopardy!

Ed: Thank you so much.
That's not possible, Alex must be lying. Everything that happens on Jeopardy! even Celebrity Jeopardy!, has to be codified in the official Rulebook. Wayne told me.
which would be the rules they had at the time, no lying going on, only stupidity on your part here today.
Right, you're agreeing with me that Alex was lying. He wasn't making an executive decision, he was just following the rulebook.
Where is it that I agreed with you regarding Alex lying?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:30 pm I do recall early celebrity games where the losings were multiplied by (-1). When did they start just making their score $1,000?
Nov. 1995 still had the minus simply turned into a plus: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5386

Nov. 1996 had the celebs' negative score turned into $1,000: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3011
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am
Robert K S wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Let me help you out:

That's not possible, Alex must be lying. Everything that happens on Jeopardy! even Celebrity Jeopardy!, has to be codified in the official Rulebook. Wayne told me.
which would be the rules they had at the time, no lying going on, only stupidity on your part here today.
Right, you're agreeing with me that Alex was lying. He wasn't making an executive decision, he was just following the rulebook.
It was in the rules they had at the time, not as Alex said on the air, an executive decision he was making on the spot.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm

It was in the rules they had at the time, not as Alex said on the air, an executive decision he was making on the spot.
you make less and less sense with every post
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm

So, per you, Alex lied.

And if Alex lied, Jimmy could have too.

Or they were both telling the truth and you're wrong...but that's apparently not in the cards.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Psst... I'm pretty sure Jeff doesn't actually think that Alex was lying
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 pm Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.
It’s logical and reasonable to know game shows have rules, and it’s logical and reasonable to know S&P exists and what that is all about.

But those are two facts you refuse to believe exist in the real world.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 pm Apologies for the sidebar, shouldn't have wasted my time. Trying to get wayne to listen to logic or reason is about as fruitful as trying to teach math to TPH.
It’s logical and reasonable to know game shows have rules, and it’s logical and reasonable to know S&P exists and what that is all about.

Nope, no one's denying the existence of game show rules or S&P. Want to try another straw man?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm

So let's try this again and I'll talk slower. Was the "reverse the negative score before Final Jeopardy for Celebrities" rule previously established in the rule book, or as Alex said on the air, did he make an executive decision on the spot?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand. Jimmy and Hannibal showed it can be a very enjoyable show when you have the right contestant on. Plus it's fun to see all of my favorite Jeopardy folks back on. I also like Catherine O'Hara's gameplay of making sure she checked with Brad before each answer. And jeez, if you're not sure you know the age for a bar mitzvah, you've got a COHEN to ask.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What a relief the pace was slow enough with Dr. Phil for Pam to be able reread the question and save a potential disaster. With some of the snappier celebs it could have been another mess.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Crud. For Catherine O'Hara, knew the $250 and $500 cold. But then again, I would have needed help on the $32 and $64.

Pam was my first choice for +1 when I was on, but wasn't available. I certainly wouldn't have needed her for Geography, though. And I knew that one.
And again, Dr. Phil kept eschewing Pam's help when it was obvious she could have been useful.

I've enjoyed watching Jimmy on this, I have to say.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Kaitlyn Olsen's $125,000 question was an instaget for me as Cephalic phase was a question on a re-run episode of "The Chase" this week. :o :D

Also happy to see one of my favorite movies this past year, Arctic Dogs, as an answer choice. :D
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Laura Lapkus won $500,000 on tonight's episode. Had no idea about the Adam Sandler movie, but knew all the others with no choices needed.

Jimmy Kimmel: On the periodic table, there are four different elements named after what?

Me: That better be the Swedish town of Ytterby.

Unsurprisingly, Jimmy didn't explain that it was Ytterby or that the elements are Yttrium, Ytterbium, Terbium, and Erbium.

Also, just imagine what it would be like to have four elements derived from Sklodowska. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:06 am Jimmy Kimmel: On the periodic table, there are four different elements named after what?

Me: That better be the Swedish town of Ytterby.

Unsurprisingly, Jimmy didn't explain that it was Ytterby or that the elements are Yttrium, Ytterbium, Terbium, and Erbium.

Also, just imagine what it would be like to have four elements derived from Sklodowska. ;)
I just watched this episode. Honestly, deriving four elements' names from Skłodowska is just as feasible as getting them from Ytterby.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 am Kaitlyn Olsen's $125,000 question was an instaget for me as Cephalic phase was a question on a re-run episode of "The Chase" this week. :o
Per a poster on Reddit, the 2 questions were worded identically, down to the multiple choices, save that Millionaire had a 4th choice added.

https://old.reddit.com/r/gameshow/comme ... d_answers/