Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICA IN THE 1700s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Every state shall always keep up a well regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutred" is in No. 6 of these

Jesse Laymon: 5400+5200=10600
Ben Scripps: 9400+9400=18800 (New Champ)
Megan Elliott: 18800-2200=16600

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Articles of Confederation (Megan – the Bill of Rights)

Daily Doubles
Megan: 2800+2000
Ben: 5200-3000
Ben: 7400-2000

Coryats
Jesse: 5400
Ben: 14400
Megan: 17800

Combined: 37,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jesse: 5000
Ben: 4000
Megan: 8000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Aw, no SPELLING category with a (Ben) Scripps playing.

Jack & Jill America will notice nothing different with no audience present. No shot of the audience is shown while applause is heard at the typical times, making it seem like a normal show.

Those looking for clues that mirror the times will have their meat with the Hot Zone clue.

Jesse again had a sweater and jacket on. The studio is not that cold.

Ben picked up $400 to close the DJ! round to set up the possible tiebreaker scenario. That was after he negged the $800 clue at clue 29 to put Megan in a runaway position.

The FJ! clue had me match the gentlemen and put the pen down. During think time I thought perhaps a miss could be the Federalist Papers. I did not have Megan's BoR on the radar. Wager something; wager nothing. Her choice. Even if she bet zero it could be Ben wins the tiebreaker anyway.

Ben took a tough path to victory with missing both DD2 and DD3. If he had wagered for the lead on DD3 that could have sunk him.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Federalist Papers for me. I didn't even realize it was wrong until you made your post. Request for poll, please.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 am Federalist Papers for me. I didn't even realize it was wrong until you made your post. Request for poll, please.
Federalist Papers for me too. Saw that it was numbered and stopped looking for other options. Second the poll request.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Since this has come up multiples times, there is statistically no difference in wagering either $0 or $1 from Megan’s position. Any other wager greatly reduces winning chances partially because 2nd place doesn’t always wager everything.

Megan’s tactical error was leaving a few dollars on the table with her DD wager. And it cost her a lot if money.
Last edited by Golf on Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 pm Since this has come up multiples times, there is statistically no difference in wagering either $0 or $1 from Ben’s position. Any other wager greatly reduces winning chances partially because 2nd place doesn’t always wager everything.

Megan’s tactical error was leaving a few dollars on the table with her DD wager. And it cost her a lot if money.
I would think Ben should wager the full 9400 and not $0 or $1. ;)

The game is archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6651

That David Faber category gave me a small break with the words on the screen for the OCR to pick up though still a lot to deal with. He is better than many other guest readers.

And yes, the Federalist Papers will be a poll choice.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Ha!

Hey, It was accurate. Statistically there is no difference if Ben wagers $0 or $1. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks guys. I fixed the name.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

lol i thought the teachers tournament started today. that may explain why my dvdr didnt record todays episode.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ here. The Bill of Rights struck me as a bad guess as the wording seems the inspiration for the 2nd amendment.

I would bet $1 from the lead here unless I truly hated the category. And US History would be my dream FJ category and I’m not risking a buzzer race on a tie breaker. Betting more than a dollar could possibly reward second place for making a wager of less than 100%. If Ben had bet $9,399, he wins instead of it going to a tie breaker.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My DVR didn't recognize this as a new episode. Crap.

ETA: That was a piss-easy FJ!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $32,800 (43R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Despite constantly playing through games on the archive, I seem to always be a bit off balance for the first game after a hiatus of regular episodes. Didn't do well in the film or music categories, which was to be expected, but also struggled with the names.

Made the classic mistake of turning off my brain once I thought I had FJ, rather than scanning for other options. Grr.

Ben had one of the luckiest/clutchest victories in recent memory...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprisingly, I ran Nonfiction and Flags.

I found the African American History category very tough. $200 could have been anything, and NHO the colleges at $400.

What was the TOM for "Venus" at $400? I saw nothing in the clue to narrow it down.

Planets for $1,200 was absolutely evil. I also figured on Mars, because it just feels like they never use Earth in Planets categories.

0/5 in Corporate Scandals.

Lach Trash: Pomegranate, Bogota. Also got the Beluga DD.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ for me. :mrgreen: For some reason the Federalist Papers weren't even on my radar. Would've been a tough choice if it had. :|
I, too, was expecting the Teachers' Tournament.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Did anybody else think it amusing Megan got both "Thanos" and "Theranos" in the same game?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

One of the researchers' game board printouts was visible going into the second break, telegraphing the location of the second and third Daily Doubles for anyone watching closely.

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:48 pm Did anybody else think it amusing Megan got both "Thanos" and "Theranos" in the same game?
Too bad there wasn't a third clue asking for The Sopranos.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Mon May 18, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Robert Moses was primarily an official of New York state, not city. He built public Works projects from Niagara to The Hamptons. He was given the honorary title of New York City Park commissioner after he had already been State Park commissioner for 20 years.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:22 pm My DVR didn't recognize this as a new episode. Crap.

ETA: That was a piss-easy FJ!
Why does anyone do that record only new episodes thing? Have your PVR record every weekday at the time Jeopardy is on.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AntmanB wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:47 pm lol i thought the teachers tournament started today. that may explain why my dvdr didnt record todays episode.
Maybe. My DVR (Windows Media Center using listings from Schedules Direct) didn't record it either. I'm not sure why. It wasn't going to record the repeat of today's ep that airs tomorrow morning either until I told it to shape up and get with the program. (Ha!) But it IS all set to record Tuesday's game. So there's something hinky about today's listing, but I'm not sure what.

I've had this kind of trouble before, so I have a manual backup in place that records WHATEVER is on the J! channel at the right time M-F, regardless of what the listing says it is.