Tuesday, May 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I guess Alex's "preclue" ("sounds like we're going back in time") threw me, because I assumed "1719" took care of that and that the correct response had to be more recent. "19th C. novel" would have helped, though so would remembering "Robinson Crusoe" (I too was stuck on Gulliver), or that Mr. Robinson was a pastor... :roll:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm Halfway joking, but also half serious - poll request on whether or not cheese and geese rhyme.
John Cleese would say no.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm Halfway joking, but also half serious - poll request on whether or not cheese and geese rhyme.
Cochise might disagree... ;)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The year 1719 meant absolutely nothing to me in FJ! - I honestly wouldn't have been able to place Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson in the proper half-century with any confidence. Nor did the fact that Swiss Family Robinson had four children and a pastor. For "adventure novels", I was stranded on Treasure Island thanks to a free viewing of a play version of it on NT Live at Home a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't gonna happen for me. I put "The Sun Also Rises", just to have something for y'all to laugh at.

And, just for more yucks, I knew the J! writers had to have a clue like this, and lo and behold, I found it in the database:

#7659, aired 2017-12-21 LITERARY TITLE BEFORE & AFTER $400: A shipwrecked clan from a neutral country meets up with a shipwrecked 18th century character

Judges: "Raptor" for "Velociraptor"? BMS, perhaps? There's a 50/50 that I freeze when asked for more info. Probably more in studio, even without an audience. But given that Alex is Canadian, he might give me credit accidentally because of Canada's favourite NBA team.

My viewing of the first season of J! helped out with keeping Thanks for the Memory fresh in my brain...it appeared in October. I also learned that "Memory" is singular in the title - dunno how I always misheard it. Of course, if you do pluralize it, you get a completely different song, and you have to spell it differently.

I felt for Tiffany when she had difficulty getting out the full response "crown of thorns". I almost said "thorn of crowns".

I just don't get the premise of The Unicorn. A certain Joe Jackson song comes to mind.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

John Cleese visits a cheese shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A. Sorry about the background music I couldn't find a version without it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Loved that DD in "American Songbook"... That's one of the few categories where I'd be going "Holzhauer-plus-one" ("All In" after putting my wallet and keys on the podium).

And... TPH, you've really never heard of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ur3YLhceAE
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 pm Judges: "Raptor" for "Velociraptor"? BMS, perhaps? There's a 50/50 that I freeze when asked for more info. Probably more in studio, even without an audience. But given that Alex is Canadian, he might give me credit accidentally because of Canada's favourite NBA team.
I'm gonna say BMS, especially with the 'fast' TOM in there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 pm Judges: "Raptor" for "Velociraptor"? BMS, perhaps? There's a 50/50 that I freeze when asked for more info. Probably more in studio, even without an audience. But given that Alex is Canadian, he might give me credit accidentally because of Canada's favourite NBA team.
I'm gonna say BMS, especially with the 'fast' TOM in there.
BMS is how I ruled for myself, after I said "raptor" and it didn't sound complete... :geek:
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

This game was a bit of a reality check for me

19 R, 10 W (inc. 3DDs) for $5,800 coryat.

FJ: :( Headslap upon reveal.

Went 4/5 in DINO-TOPIA, and surprisingly 3/5 in THE WRITER'S CREATION.

Lach Trash: William Golding
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"The Swiss Family Robinson" is what popped into my head immediately and I never really thought of anything else, but for some reason I was having trouble parsing the clue and I couldn't figure out what the 1719 book was. Can't believe I forgot about "Robinson Crusoe." In any event I won't be checking this one on the weekly poll because I never wrote it down. :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It was good to get back to a new game, though I did enjoy seeing the first-ever Zerg-cam shot :mrgreen: Lots is Lach trash, especially in Songbook and Bible, neither noted strong points of mine. Instaget FJ — inn pretty sure that the SFR-Crusoe connection was used in a LL question a few seasons ago, albeit more obliquely. My wife, no trivia person, was outraged that SFR was a TS: “Adventure novel... about a FAMILY???”
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 pm Alex said something to the effect that if you didn't come up with the 1719 novel first, you were going to struggle on FJ. However, I didn't read the 1719 portion of the clue until after I had gotten SFR based on the pastor, wife, and four sons.
I also went in the reverse of Alex's reasoning. "Family? Adventure? Swiss Family Robinson, of course. But what's a connection to another novel? Hmmm. OH!"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Have to admit to a momentary detour before landing on kidney beans. "Beans? Organ? Surely they're not talking about fava beans going well with liver, are they?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I read Cleese's autobiography last year and learned his family name actually was Cheese! His father changed it when he joined the army, believing Cheese to be embarrassing. Mentioned in his Wiki entry, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cleese#Early_life
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:04 pm
I read Cleese's autobiography last year and learned his family name actually was Cheese! His father changed it when he joined the army, believing Cheese to be embarrassing. Mentioned in his Wiki entry, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cleese#Early_life
Yep, I remember seeing an interview with him where he expressed some disappointment over the change. He felt that a last name like "Cheese" was perfect for a comic actor. Gotta agree with him there, although I bet everyone would have assumed it was a stage name.

Anyway, no matter how many times I encounter this fact and its relevance to the correct pronunciation of Cleese, I keep going back to rhyming it with geese. I've been saying it that way for so long now that I don't know if I'll ever successfully change. He doesn't seem to mind the mispronunciation, so that's good.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:45 pm "The Swiss Family Robinson" is what popped into my head immediately and I never really thought of anything else, but for some reason I was having trouble parsing the clue and I couldn't figure out what the 1719 book was. Can't believe I forgot about "Robinson Crusoe." In any event I won't be checking this one on the weekly poll because I never wrote it down. :oops:
But would you have left it blank onstage in a real game? You know you wouldn't have. You're too cool for that. Come on, check the box. (I'm tired or I'd cobble together a pic--ideally an animated GIF--of Brad Pitt whine-yelling "Check the boxxxxxx!!!")
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm Anyway, no matter how many times I encounter this fact and its relevance to the correct pronunciation of Cleese, I keep going back to rhyming it with geese. I've been saying it that way for so long now that I don't know if I'll ever successfully change. He doesn't seem to mind the mispronunciation, so that's good.
Same here.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:08 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 pm Alex said something to the effect that if you didn't come up with the 1719 novel first, you were going to struggle on FJ. However, I didn't read the 1719 portion of the clue until after I had gotten SFR based on the pastor, wife, and four sons.
I also went in the reverse of Alex's reasoning. "Family? Adventure? Swiss Family Robinson, of course. But what's a connection to another novel? Hmmm. OH!"
This does seem to be one of those clues where the TOMs don't really click until after you arrive at the correct response. They function more as a confirmation that you picked the right response, less as a way of getting you to that response in the first place. In my case, I didn't really make anything of "surname ... is not given in the text" while trying to solve this FJ. Once I got it, I thought, huh, so their last name wasn't Robinson? I guess I always assumed it was and the allusion to Crusoe was right there in the novel, not just in the title.

I'll be really curious to see how many boardies went from RC to SFR, as the clue and Alex seemed to expect, and how many got to SFR and only later (perhaps not even until they were told) realized what the 1719 novel was. This is going to be a set of poll questions, right Mark?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 amThrow in being a fan of (the original) Lost in Space and I better get it.
Came here to read this and was not disappointed
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 amThrow in being a fan of (the original) Lost in Space and I better get it.
Came here to read this and was not disappointed

No love for Joel Robinson? (4x removed from the 1719 novel)