Thursday, May 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MILITARY SLANG

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for high-ranking officials comes from a metal used in 19th century military insignia

Nathan Berger: 5600+0=5600
Michelle Kanter Cohen: 12400+400=12800
Shawn Buell: 18800+6001=24801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
brass

Daily Doubles
Nathan: 1000+1000
Nathan: 2800-800
Shawn: 11400+3000

Coryats
Nathan: 6200
Michelle: 12400
Shawn: 17400

Combined: 36,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nathan: 2000
Michelle: 2400
Shawn: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No audience shot or Johnny glimpse today.

Nancy Zerg got at least one clue right today.

Shawn won the game and the interview segment. He needs some more wins for a Porsche Panamera, even with wanting a 2017 one.

The FJ! category had me expecting trouble even with my dad having served in the Navy. S.O.S. (food not help) was not likely to come up. :)

For me the clue was more police TV than military so a quick solve thankfully.

Shawn has a long way to go to match him results-wise, but he reminded me of Tad Carithers.

Nice work by Michelle to play no DDs and close the gap when the game looked like it was going to be a lock. She added "top" to her response and that was fine even though the clue wanted a word, not phrase. Even if it mattered for a different scoreboard situation the powers would still accept it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6657

Double digit TS clues for trash pick up.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Wouldn't it have been hilarious if Nathan had said, "what is FedEx, no, H&R Block."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $37,000 (46R, 3W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Potent potables whooped my behind as usual. I'm glad that topic has become less common. Was a bit trigger-happy today. Couldn't come up with the rhyming DD.

Kids' week FJ. This one might even poll at 100%...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:x :( :D on DDs. Played Pirates! so I should've been familiar with Caribbean geography. Went the wrong way & guessed Montserrat.
Spent too much time swatting away Pythias to come up with Pyramus.
Easy FJ that wouldn't be overpowered in a teen tournament.v :mrgreen:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Definitely one of those finals where I wrote down the correct response within 5 seconds, and spent 25 seconds trying to second-guess myself. Successfully unsuccessful :D

Here's hoping for a wheelhouse FJ tomorrow for my first ever brag box!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:01 pm Played Pirates! so I should've been familiar with Caribbean geography.
That's actually how I was certain it was St. Kitts.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I don't think I've ever made a poll suggestion, but how about "finger and singer rhyme" vs. "finger and singer don't rhyme"?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ. Nice wager by Michelle to lock out Nathan and give herself a shot at winning if Shawn makes the MSB, which he did.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 pm I don't think I've ever made a poll suggestion, but how about "finger and singer rhyme" vs. "finger and singer don't rhyme"?
Michelle didn't even try to make them rhyme...Finger does rhyme with "Alvy Singer" from Annie Hall... :geek:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I don't know if a fourth podium win is possible in theory, but I couldn't get there. Didn't know things like French 75 and Mindanao. On the other hand, I did know things like Cupid, Pyramus (mis-remembered the spelling as Pyramis but I doubt my pronunciation would have bee noticeably off), King Arthur ("legendary 'King of the Britons'"? Come ON!), Scotland (given Duke of Argyll), and Newcastle (given ____-upon-Tyne). Except for Pyramus, those all count as surprising misses in my book.

Would not have rung in with the Trans-Canada Highway (a non-surprising TS), but that's what Mrs P and I both guessed. I think we were both riffing off the Trans-Siberian Railway and creating a similar name. Maybe we also dimly knew that the Trans-Canada Highway was a thing, but it doesn't feel like it. Probably would've gotten this one on a DD anyway.

For the company that has prepared more than 800 million tax returns, I said FedEx. :oops: How did I get such a dumb idea in my head? We'll never know. :lol:

I wonder if Shawn knew the correct Psalm and just misspoke when he said Psalm 29 for Psalm 23. If he really thought 29 was correct, I wonder why. I also wonder what they'd have done if they had an Eastern Orthodox contestant ring in with Psalm 22--the correct number for that Psalm in the Orthodox numbering system. (The Septuagint combines Psalms 9 and 10 and the numbers are one behind for most of the psalter. Right at the end they get back in sync by splitting Psalm 147 into two psalms.) I'm sure 22 would have been negged initially. But might they reverse it on appeal? Or would the judges argue that the quote clearly comes from the KJV which uses the Hebrew numbering system?

I just deleted a whole paragraph of complaint on the category RUN ON SENTENCES. Most and arguably all of the sentences weren't run on. Then I noticed they all contained the word "run". Sigh.

Count me as one who noticed that finger and singer are not a perfect rhyme. I'm fine with a poet rhyming them. Imperfect or slant rhymes get used all the time and can be quite effective. But in a category called WORDS THAT RHYME, I expect perfect rhymes.

Thanks to Michelle for setting my mind at ease about "top brass". I gave that response confidently and Mrs P pointed out that they were looking for a "word". I then worried that I might have cheated myself out of a get. Always re-read the clue for extra comprehension, people!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 pm Definitely one of those finals where I wrote down the correct response within 5 seconds, and spent 25 seconds trying to second-guess myself. Successfully unsuccessful :D
Ditto. "Comes from" made me think the intended word was almost but not exactly the same as the metal (like brassery instead of brass) but nothing else came to mind

Course, I've been trying to rework the clue to avoid that exact fluke of wording and haven't nailed it down yet. Hilariously, I keep using 'comes from' exactly where I don't want to.

Precalled Banksy in Sotheby's.
And in serendipity, Ars Technica ran this piece on The Scream this morning:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05 ... he-scream/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Absolutely dismal boards for me. I had so many clams it was ridiculous, but absolutely YEKIOYD categories like Thirst-Day and Duke Boys didn't help my Coryat either.

I was 0/5 in Boss Hog but shouldn't have been. Those middle three were piss-easy but I just couldn't steer my brain toward them fast enough.

The top boxes in both Boss Hog and Them Duke Boys both seemed like clunkers, and not just because "top box TS = undervalued". Something just felt off about their writing.

I found Words That Rhyme incredibly tough, which is unusual for me in a word category.

Metal? High-ranking... uhhh.... brass? Top brass? Wasn't sure if the "top" was needed but they accepted both so I'm good.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm
I just deleted a whole paragraph of complaint on the category RUN ON SENTENCES. Most and arguably all of the sentences weren't run on. Then I noticed they all contained the word "run". Sigh.

Count me as one who noticed that finger and singer are not a perfect rhyme. I'm fine with a poet rhyming them. Imperfect or slant rhymes get used all the time and can be quite effective. But in a category called WORDS THAT RHYME, I expect perfect rhymes.
I didn't delete the paragraph, but the first 2-3 clues, I thought I'd had some kind of stroke that hit the grammar part of my brain, because I couldn't find the run on. But apparently it was a pun on sentence. Get it? PUN on!

As for finger/singer, yeah, I don't think they're good rhymes, but Nick Cannon would disagree. Seriously, every time on The Masked Singer, he overenunciates the "g" in singer, making it an absolutely perfect rhyme with finger. But he's hardly an expert, because he consistently garbles the difference between less and fewer when talking about the number of votes - it's a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

For FJ!, I apparently took Michelle's very, very long trek. I went through the periodic table, thinking of elements - platinum, gold, silver, palladium, copper, iron, until I decided to get smart and think of some alloys. Bronze - no. Brass! No time to second guess myself, I typed it in.

And here is where the chem geek in me is going to be a bit persnickety. Brass is an alloy of metals. It's not -A- metal. It's two metals: copper and zinc. I can understand that replacing "metal" with "alloy" basically gives away the clue, but it's not really a good wording. You could say "mixture of metals" if you wanted to avoid the obvious Pavlov, but I didn't like this clue very much.

I did, however, love the H&R Block clue. Would have loved an "H" AND "R" BLOCK category in the GOAT tourney. And kudos to Alex for getting both the Seychelles and the Jealous/Daedalus /Acropolis tongue twisters with perfect delivery.

I 100% precalled Banksy's shredded painting, but thought it would be top row.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm I don't know if a fourth podium win is possible in theory, but I couldn't get there. Didn't know things like French 75 and Mindanao. On the other hand, I did know things like Cupid, Pyramus (mis-remembered the spelling as Pyramis but I doubt my pronunciation would have bee noticeably off), King Arthur ("legendary 'King of the Britons'"? Come ON!), Scotland (given Duke of Argyll), and Newcastle (given ____-upon-Tyne). Except for Pyramus, those all count as surprising misses in my book.
If you can identify A Midsummer Night's Dream from a quote and a character's name - as Michelle did later in the game - you ought to be able to recognize Pyramus and Thisbe since that's the play performed by the rustics within the Shakespeare play...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm
It was also a monstrously dull category, such as you might expect if produced on very short notice during a writer’s strike. It’s easy enough to assemble rhyming phrases; for instance this particular “rhyme” might have been clued “implicate vocalist”, then you could have had “affable dogsbody”, “icy evidence”, etc.

Psalm 23 is probably the only one you'd ever be asked to identify by number, but I was also ready if they'd asked about 137.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Lefty wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 pm I don't think I've ever made a poll suggestion, but how about "finger and singer rhyme" vs. "finger and singer don't rhyme"?
Second that request.

"Finger" and "Singer" rhyme in German. Not in English.