Friday, May 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IVY LEAGUE GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This state borders 3 other states with Ivy League schools, but doesn’t have one itself

Shawn Buell: 10200-6201=3999
Morgan Wilbanks: 21400-0=21400 (New Champ)
Charles Cato: 8200+8000=16200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vermont (Shawn – Connecticut) (Morgan – Connecticut)

Daily Doubles
Shawn: 6000+3000
Morgan: 6600+6600
Morgan: 16000+5000

Coryats
Shawn: 7800
Morgan: 12200
Charles: 8200

Combined: 28,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Shawn: 11000
Morgan: 2600
Charles: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Shawn won the J! round to have a nice $8000 lead although it could have been $3000 more if he farmed DD1.

The DJ! round including DD2 & DD3 for plus $11600 belonged to Morgan.

Charles was the best in the FJ! round to earn the $2000 for second while not having enough to make the sole solve truly pay off.

The Jeopardy! Fan already has the stat line done and I know with 15W it won't be fun to archive. Not that I'm one to talk the way I played when on the stage, but too many many go neg happy without enough discipline.

The FJ! category narrowed the map search to a small area. During the break I made sure I knew all 8 and their states. I was ready for (at least I hoped I was) for a N-E-W-S-most type clue. It being a border type puzzle threw me for a moment although it did not take long to X out the surrounding states to leave the last one standing.

If Morgan and Shawn did no ahead-of-time thinking during the break then bad on them. Players are allowed to ponder what the category might mean and start working before the clue is revealed.

The same goes for home viewers. Those who zoom from category to clue might find themselves overlooking a state they easily could have crossed off with taking a little time to warm up the Ivy League mind.

New Teachers Tournament on Monday. Morgan will return on June 8th.

The close of the show got a little weird with a swig of water seen, handshake not shown, handshake offer by force of habit withdrawn, and distancing elbow bump:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15i0a5 ... X6-s51mD1u
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

As soon as I saw the category, I knew my perfect week was sunk. My problem was, I didn't realize Vermont bordered 3 states. Went with Pennsylvania, just to have something on the page. (U. Penn? Hello? McFly?) At least I didn't say Maine.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6659

15W and 10 media clues sure slow things down. Any tourney games I get to this weekend have to be better.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am If Morgan and Shawn did no ahead-of-time thinking during the break then bad on them. Players are allowed to ponder what the category might mean and start working before the clue is revealed.
Not to mention the wager-figuring time!

This is one of those rare ultra-narrow FJ categories when the savvy player could/should figure out their wager on the scratch paper and then spend some "math doublechecking" time to silently review the location of those eight schools.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Shawn and Morgan must have gone to Harvard.
I'm smart and I want respect.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

If I were a Yalie, I'd be very upset at those two.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with Delaware, despite the nagging feeling it was wrong since it had been mentioned earlier in the game. The geography of the NE always gets me with all the tiny states.

The DJ round was a train wreck. I was hoping one of them would catch up for a competitive FJ but it was not to be. Now we wait two weeks to see if Morgan can win when he doesn’t get two softball DDs.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, first off, the writers are awesome for throwing Usagi Yojimbo in there.

"Bottle" for $800 was MASSIVELY ENORMOUS negbait for "Bottle opener", so of course I bit down like a piranha. WHY DO I ALWAYS DO THIS?!

Terrible J! board: Fortune for Forbes, LL Cool J for Ice T, and stamps for baseball cards wound me up to four negs.

Yearbook Photos was an automatic 0/5 for me.

Did much better in DJ! by running On the Money.

Had a complete blank on all Ivy League schools except Harvard. Had such a severe brainlock that I couldn't think of what to put down.

Lach Trash: $5 bill, Declaration of Independence, 1974. 1977
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I said ronin for the Usagi Yojimbo (one of my favorite comics ever) and I'm counting that as that's what he was. :)

Took a few seconds to double check the schools, but I did come up with VT.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Why do they always seem to make these leaps of logic when it comes to my hobbies of choice? :D

Y: The Last Man is the story of *Y*orick Brown. Yes, the Y chromosome is one of the central themes of the story, but it isn't solely or specifically the reason the title is what it is.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

lstone19 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm If I were a Yalie, I'd be very upset at those two.
LOL!

Coryat $38,000 (47R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Ivy League grad and geography is a wheelhouse subject, so FJ was a dream category for me.

I enjoyed watching Morgan's confident DD wagers, and have been enjoying seeing all 61 clues of late.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also said bottle opener. Seems like it would have been invented right after the bottle cap.

The pictures told me nothing but went 4/5 based on the clues, missing Paul. RBG was a guess, but seemed the most likely.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm The pictures told me nothing but went 4/5 based on the clues, missing Paul. RBG was a guess, but seemed the most likely.
I went with Sandra Day O'Connor (despite correctly associating her with the southwest) because of a failure of imagination. RBG used to be young? :)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :x on DDs. Have I mentioned how much I hate Broadway as a category? I have? Well then, I'll mention it again.
Took a few seconds, but eventually got to Vermont for FJ. :mrgreen:
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

When Alex says all responses in a category will start with “bottle,” and you give a response that starts with something else, you should be ruled incorrect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was surprised they let Morgan get away with "What is using that more or less cylyndrical apparatus made of glass or plastic and with a nipple attached containing milk usually called a bottle to feed your baby?" When Alex revealed the category, he clearly said that "bottle" would be the FIRST word.

When I saw Ci and the word "symbol" my mind immediately went to elements and I guessed Curium, even though Ci didn't seem right for that. I didn't notice the clue clearly asking for a unit.

Surprising miss on Jutland for the Denmark peninsula. I'm blaming nerves and the lights for this one. I have to think at least one of those guys could've pulled that at another time--probably more than one.

For A 1970s YEAR, I precalled Nixon and 1974. Sure enough, it came up. Shawn and Charles boxed in the correct year with guesses of 1973 and 1975. Morgan still didn't want to take a swing at it. It's easy to sympathize with his explanation: "I'm gun shy right now."

I might've helped Shawn to be similarly gun shy. He had an itchy trigger finger tonight, which didn't go well for him. His unfortunate misses included "Negative Nancy" for "Debbie Downer" (might work in general, but not when tied to an SNL character) and "cougar" for "Mrs Robinson" (similar problem here with clue tied to an Anne Bancroft character).

If Shawn had clammed on every clue where he rang in and missed, he'd have had an extra $5600--that's $15800 going into FJ. That's enough for a small lockout wager against Charles that still wins him the game on the double miss by him and Morgan. Wonder if it would have played out that way or if he'd have over-wagered. If he'd over-wagered, poor Charles might actually have gotten more than the satisfaction of being the only player to get this FJ.

(Shout out to my man, Mark Barrett for getting the show entered so quickly despite the 15w and the multi-media. It really adds value to be able to check clues and add specifics to the comments.)

I got this FJ but I could feel panic setting in for a little bit there as I played with a map in my head. I'm sure that would've been amplified on stage. It helped that I knew for sure that Vermont didn't have an Ivy League school. So I just had to confirm which three states surrounded it and that they DID have at least one Ivy League school. Seems simple enough but I found myself wasting time wondering if I should be thinking about Maryland or Connecticut (Yale, dummy) or Rhode Island (Brown).

Kudos to Morgan for a decisive win here. That takes the sting out of any teasing at the viewing party over bottle and Connecticut and "E pluribus unum" for a 4-word phrase. :lol: Good on ya, buddy! You got it done.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

lstone19 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm If I were a Yalie, I'd be very upset at those two.
I am, and, of course, I am. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be honest, I didn't bother with making the list of 8 with states, and clicked fast forward on my DVR button, because I figured I could wing it, and I was tired. I definitely wouldn't have put any of the states - Tri-State, Mass/Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and, of course, Connecticut. From there, it's a geography problem, my Achilles heel...but after thinking of New Hampshire, I could picture Vermont snuggling up to it. Boom, and done. Seemed like it had to be a New England state to me....looking at a map, the next best guess is probably Delaware, since it hits two Ivy states. I'm awful with "what borders what", so I'm happy I guessed this. If you'd asked me WHICH states Vermont borders, I would have gone Mass, NH, and....I probably could hit New York, but on a bad day you might get me to trip up and say Pennsylvania.

Apparently I will NEVER stop confusing Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. But now that I'm reading the wikis side-by-side, it's American vs British. Charlton Heston vs Peter O'Toole. And, most importantly, ancient Rome vs WWI-era...well, Arabia.

I loved the bottle-feeding dissertation. J! responses generally don't do that - and usually they're nice and don't ask you to pronounce terribly difficult words, although a rogue one sometimes slips through. The clues, however, can sometimes challenge Alex, who is always up to the task.

Anyone else go "womp-womp" with a trombone when the champ said "Negative Nancy?" That's honestly one of my favorite sketches - mainly because the cast (particularly Fallon) can never keep their composure during them. Lorne hates it; I love it. I also said "Alex-and-er Ham-il-ton" in the same cadence as the musical for the $10 bill clue. Another one that's easy to remember if you know that the Hamilton rush seats are were $10.

I imagine McConnell having polio is fresh in my mind due to current events. I'm pretty sure I learned it recently. Also happened to notice "Hey, McConnell and Rand Paul are from the same state, Kentucky", which made both clues easier. Well, that and Morgan doing EXACTLY what I always wind up doing - blurting out the correct response to the NEXT clue.

It's easy to know the year that Elvis died when you were born in that year. But, no, I was born quite a few months earlier, so, sadly, no reincarnation possibilities. I like bacon on my peanut butter sandwiches, not bananas. Try it. It's good - gives a nice crunch.

It's harder to see how you could imagine the Montreal Olympics were in 1978. Learn your divisibility rules - particularly 4s. Very handy for elections and Summer (and pre-1994 Winter) Olympics.