The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:28 pm "Haiphong" sounds like it could be literally anywhere in Asia. I WAGged China.
Well, not the Middle East or India.

I think the "ph" narrows it to Cambodia and Vietnam, maybe Thailand.
Because that's a common enough linguistic trait to be top-box material, right?
Because no one on the show got it, right?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 pm Because no one on the show got it, right?
And I haven't the foggiest HOW.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 pm Because no one on the show got it, right?
And I haven't the foggiest HOW.
Lot of people know lots of things lots of different ways. Some people know where Haiphong is because they know the geography of the region. Some know it because they remember the controversy and surprise at the mining of Haiphong harbor during the Vietnam war. Some people know because they took a history class wherein it was discussed. It was a significant-enough event to have it's own Wikipedia page, as it's credited with being one stimulus that hastened the release of U.S. POWs held by North Vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pocket_Money

The search term "mining of haiphong harbor" gets me 128,000 hits on Google. Haiphong also gets 13 hits in the J! Archive.

Haiphong's location is not a secret.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:44 pm Lot of people know lots of things lots of different ways. Some people know where Haiphong is because they know the geography of the region. Some know it because they remember the controversy and surprise at the mining of Haiphong harbor during the Vietnam war. Some people know because they took a history class wherein it was discussed. It was a significant-enough event to have it's own Wikipedia page, as it's credited with being one stimulus that hastened the release of U.S. POWs held by North Vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pocket_Money

The search term "mining of haiphong harbor" gets me 128,000 hits on Google. Haiphong also gets 13 hits in the J! Archive.

Haiphong's location is not a secret.
And some of us have frustratingly huge holes in our knowledge base that we just can't seem to patch no matter how hard we try, and just get more and more infuriated the more holes we discover.

Which planet is the biggest again?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:17 pm Which planet is the biggest again?
The Daily Planet. Perry White said one time it had the largest circulation in the world.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:17 pm Which planet is the biggest again?
Planet Claire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOjAzI5zALo
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Pluto. Pluto is the biggest planet. Commit it to memory.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:11 am Someone explain to me why I should know that 9/32 inch is college-ruled and not wide-ruled?
Because that means you get 32 lines for every 9 inches and college-ruled paper has 11 inches with 33 lines plus room for a line at the bottom that doesn't count and more than an inch of white space at the top. No way you're fitting that many lines if they're wide-ruled. Duh.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

alietr wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm
And all this time I thought Pluto was Goofy's dog...
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:41 pm
Pluto is a cartoon dog, Jupiter is the spring training home of the St. Louis Cardinals, and HD 100546 b is the biggest planet.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

According to Jessica Tate on "Soap," he's Mickey Mouse's dog. And ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudJivvHWqI
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:11 am Someone explain to me why I should know that 9/32 inch is college-ruled and not wide-ruled?
Because that means you get 32 lines for every 9 inches and college-ruled paper has 11 inches with 33 lines plus room for a line at the bottom that doesn't count and more than an inch of white space at the top. No way you're fitting that many lines if they're wide-ruled. Duh.
I think you're focusing on the wrong aspect of the clue .... it's not the size, it's the "-ruled". You're throwing wide-ruled out there like it's equally well known; my counter is that I'm not at all familiar with that term, and "college-ruled" is the much more commonly known phrase.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 pm I think you're focusing on the wrong aspect of the clue .... it's not the size, it's the "-ruled". You're throwing wide-ruled out there like it's equally well known; my counter is that I'm not at all familiar with that term, and "college-ruled" is the much more commonly known phrase.
I've never known one without the other. I would constantly switch between the two in school because I always found both to be equally available.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 pm
According to Jessica Tate on "Soap," he's Mickey Mouse's dog. And ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudJivvHWqI
Oops... Brain fart on my part! (But it looks like Jessica is a walking brainfart!!) :)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 pm
MitchO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 pm I think you're focusing on the wrong aspect of the clue .... it's not the size, it's the "-ruled". You're throwing wide-ruled out there like it's equally well known; my counter is that I'm not at all familiar with that term, and "college-ruled" is the much more commonly known phrase.
I've never known one without the other. I would constantly switch between the two in school because I always found both to be equally available.
I actually agree with you a little bit on the clue. Perhaps because it was the first clue in the category, I thought that SCHOOL SUPPLIES meant that "college" would be a better response than "wide", simply because of the school pun. I figured the rest would contain words like elementary, middle, junior, or high....but actually, school supplies that have those words aren't all that common. Maybe supplies or things named after famous schools? Oxford comma? Of course, I was being too clever, and the category was just about plain school supplies.

But for a top row clue, I'd have thrown in a little bone, like "This highly-educated notebook paper yada yada yada..." I definitely did think "wide or college" when the clue popped up, but I took the coin flip and won, and can't say that I knew that 7/32 was college vs 9/32 being wide.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm Teaching the Sport was a quick 0/5 for me. Any reason I should know that pitch at $200 was a fastball?
If I google "two seam", the next word that pops up in suggestions is "fastball", and I doubt that it's using my search history. Thus, "two-seam fastball" is an actual phrase - but I can see how you might not have heard of it, and I didn't get it in time, either. For some reason, my brain went to "cutter", which is another type of pitch.

Of course, you could also use the Joe Bloggs principle of "top row = easy answer, bottom row = hard answer", which isn't always accurate. Name a baseball pitch? Fastball, curveball, slider are probably your three most common answers, and fastball would probably be the simplest guess. But I'll be honest - I'm with you that matching the mechanics of the pitch to the type of pitch is WAY beyond my paygrade.

Knuckleball is a very rare pitch these days, and I'm surprised it was a guess.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

talkingaway wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm Teaching the Sport was a quick 0/5 for me. Any reason I should know that pitch at $200 was a fastball?
If I google "two seam", the next word that pops up in suggestions is "fastball", and I doubt that it's using my search history. Thus, "two-seam fastball" is an actual phrase - but I can see how you might not have heard of it, and I didn't get it in time, either. For some reason, my brain went to "cutter", which is another type of pitch.

Of course, you could also use the Joe Bloggs principle of "top row = easy answer, bottom row = hard answer", which isn't always accurate. Name a baseball pitch? Fastball, curveball, slider are probably your three most common answers, and fastball would probably be the simplest guess. But I'll be honest - I'm with you that matching the mechanics of the pitch to the type of pitch is WAY beyond my paygrade.

Knuckleball is a very rare pitch these days, and I'm surprised it was a guess.
The clue says "basic baseball pitch" so that pretty much leaves you with fastball, curve ball, or change-up. Since it didn't mention change of speed, change-up was right out. Curve balls have a distinctive wrist motion to make them curve, so also no dice. From the description, I was thinking "sinker", but the clue gives "sinking" so that couldn't be it. I was too slow in real time to get off sinker, but what else could it be?

It certainly can't be knuckle ball. That pitch is named after its distinct grip with the knuckles (or fingertips), so a flat grip is not going to be that. Plus, very few pitchers throw the knuckle ball, so it's not really a "basic" pitch.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:48 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 am
Peachbox wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 pm
The clue's narration included the term "two-seam variety"; types of fastballs include two-seam and four-seam, and split-finger.
Also cut (usually just called a cutter).
Those don't seem like entry-level baseball terms to me.
Fastball is, though. And it's the most basic pitch in the game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:55 pm Fastball is, though. And it's the most basic pitch in the game.
I almost said knuckleball because the emphasis on the fingers seemed to be hinting that way. But I stayed clam because again, there are only about eight billion types of baseball pitches and nothing IN THE CLUE seemed to be narrowing it down unless you know some far more obscure terms.
Golf

Post by Golf »

We’ve been over this many times, you admittedly know nothing about sports, and there’s nothing wrong with that. That being said, because of this you have no idea when a sports clue is easy, difficult, negbait, whatever. So stop worrying and protesting the matter. Let those who know sports lay it out for you if necessary and then accept it and move on.