Thursday, May 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
P.T. Barnum, whose traveling shows carried musicians, coined this word that now represents something growing in popularity

Ben Henri: 24500-822=23678 (Semi-Finalist)
Matt Joyal: 10200-800=9400
Mary Kate Trausch: 1600+1599=3199

Correct response:
Spoiler
bandwagon (Ben – fad) (Matt – up)

Daily Doubles
Ben: 2000-2000
Mary Kate: 5600-4000
Ben: 24000+100

Coryats
Ben: 27200
Matt: 10200
Mary Kate: 5600

Combined: 43,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ben: 5200
Matt: 4200
Mary Kate: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ben seemed to get in almost at will as he was heard from on well over half the clues. The negative for Ben was 1/3 on big clues.

Matt could not know that hit or miss he was sunk before the FJ! clue was revealed as 11K would have been well shy of making a WC. Mary Kate needed to hit her missed DD2 to have a shot at making her sole solve pay off. British magnetic guy in the 1800s tripped her up and unfortunate since she is a science teacher.

Ben's dancing song, "Blame It On The Boogie" is the kind that can get a class (or an Ellen audience) moving indeed.

The FJ! category had me expecting trouble. The clue going to the circus area was something I could figure out although I think of the term more in the sports area of fandom.

I found it fun to search the word on this board and revisit the who & why of its previous appearances.

For J! the most recent usage is here:
#6872, aired 2014-07-01 DOGGING THE "WAG" $200: "Jump on" this conveyance to join with what is currently popular or fashionable

and I expect to see a NHOI or two or three by day's end across the forums I read.

WCs are still 18-16-16-14 with now just one day to go as the Monday & Thursday non-winners are finished.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6670

Only 3 TS and high Coryat(s) of the week by far.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i wouldnt call Impractical Jokers a "Game show" persae.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

If I had given myself 30 seconds to think instead of the usual 10 when playing Final from JBoard I probably would have come up with the correct response, but instead I landed on "hit parade" and couldn't really shake it.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I was wondering if they'd ding Mary Kate for saying St. Jude's instead of St. Jude, especially with the recent Revelations/Revelation. Guess it was good enough :D.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Mary Kate really needed to ring in on Q28 in DJ in order to have a chance to win the game. It was obvious Ben was hunting for the last DD, and if the $2000 clue in Poetry was a TS, he would keep control and was guaranteed to find the DD on the next clue, thus sealing her fate. The possible answers for the $2k clue was very narrow and not difficult to WAG the correct answer. If she gets it, she has $3600, doubling up on the gimme DD gives her $7200, then successfully doubling on FJ gives her $14400, a very possible advancing total. Nobody attempted the clue and Ben kept control.

But, as others have mentioned here, perhaps she felt that guaranteeing she could stick around for FJ was more important than trying to advance to the SF's.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Vowela wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:34 pm I was wondering if they'd ding Mary Kate for saying St. Jude's instead of St. Jude, especially with the recent Revelations/Revelation. Guess it was good enough :D.
St. Jude's is the possessive isn't it? That would make it fine. Totally different than the above book title mistake that unfortunately happens once a season it seems.

Also, regarding the sand wedge clue, I haven't had a sand wedge that has an 'S' stamped on it for probably 20 years now. Furthermore, most pros use their 60 degree wedge out of the bunker rather than their sand wedge. Not a big deal at all, just seems as though the sports and science clues fail on some of the details at times.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Danny Thomas named his hospital in honor of St. Jude, he did not give it to him. Thus it is not a possessive and St. Jude’s should be negged.

I never would have thought that was the origin of the phrase but that was all I could come up with.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

A lot of people refer to the hospital as "St. Jude's", but its name is actually "St. Jude Children's Research Hospital" (without a possessive).

I was not getting that FJ. The reference to Barnum led me to try to think of something containing "circus" which led me nowhere.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Unlike yesterday, Alex did not proclaim the inevitable champ to be an automatic semi finalist.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I was stuck on "viral" and couldn't make it go away (sign of the times?) I would have never gotten there anyway, because I've always thought of "the bandwagon" as the people who are on board with the thing, not the thing itself as implied by the clue.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Today's game for me was a tale of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good: When DD2 flashed on the screen, I turned to my wife and said "Ooh MAGNETS for $2000, I bet you it's gonna be Michael Farraday". It was all giggles from there.

The Bad: I knew the FJ category was going to spell my doom and ruin a possible perfecto for this week. I was right when I matched Ben with "fad" as I couldn't think of anything better.

The Ugly: DD1 had me overthinking and I thought it would be a capital on the Mississippi River, since de Soto famously explored it, so I went with Baton Rouge. What makes this ugly: I live in Tallahassee :?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I hopped on the bandwagon for FJ! immediately, given that I do like my hockey, and know all about bandwagon fans. Matt's bet seemed reasonable if you remember that he's in a knowledge vacuum. I guess they're making all the FJ!s fairly easy this week to keep it fair. I'm a little surprised that this was only a single get, though.

Judges: "Wedge" for "sand wedge"? I think it's a BMS, and I think I'd get it, given that I literally know of none of the other types of golf wedges, and they spotted me the letter S. I also said "archrival" for "archenemy", but I think I just short-circuited their clue by turning it into a "stupid answer".

I feel even dumber now on the $2000 MAGNET clue. I breezed over the key word "British" in the clue, and apparently I need to get my brain degaussed.

Annapolis gave me a nice little diversion, as I wanted to look up what the literary term for using "Annapolis" for "US Naval Academy" is. Not a demonym. Synecdoche doesn't quite fit. Is there something? Either way, I couldn't find it, but did find a Google Books link to some 1870s spherical trigonometry exams that they took there.

Mythology killed me. I froze on the easy Venus, because I didn't want to mix up her with Aphrodite. If I'd only listened more carefully to Bananarama. And I fell into the same trap as the contestants for both the 400 and 600 clue. But I came back with the bottom row clues - Heil Hydra! And I'm kinda happy about remembering Circe. For some reason I had her singing a song, but those were the sirens.

Has "bump, set, spike" been on a game show recently? Because I swear I've heard that very recently.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

talkingaway wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:49 pm Annapolis gave me a nice little diversion, as I wanted to look up what the literary term for using "Annapolis" for "US Naval Academy" is. Not a demonym. Synecdoche doesn't quite fit. Is there something? Either way, I couldn't find it, but did find a Google Books link to some 1870s spherical trigonometry exams that they took there.
I think that's "metonymy".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 pm Mary Kate really needed to ring in on Q28 in DJ in order to have a chance to win the game. It was obvious Ben was hunting for the last DD, and if the $2000 clue in Poetry was a TS, he would keep control and was guaranteed to find the DD on the next clue, thus sealing her fate. The possible answers for the $2k clue was very narrow and not difficult to WAG the correct answer. If she gets it, she has $3600, doubling up on the gimme DD gives her $7200, then successfully doubling on FJ gives her $14400, a very possible advancing total. Nobody attempted the clue and Ben kept control.

But, as others have mentioned here, perhaps she felt that guaranteeing she could stick around for FJ was more important than trying to advance to the SF's.
I wasn't saying that; I was saying keep $100 (or even $1). There's little difference between $13,800 and $14,400 under your scenario.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 pm
Golf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 pm Mary Kate really needed to ring in on Q28 in DJ in order to have a chance to win the game. It was obvious Ben was hunting for the last DD, and if the $2000 clue in Poetry was a TS, he would keep control and was guaranteed to find the DD on the next clue, thus sealing her fate. The possible answers for the $2k clue was very narrow and not difficult to WAG the correct answer. If she gets it, she has $3600, doubling up on the gimme DD gives her $7200, then successfully doubling on FJ gives her $14400, a very possible advancing total. Nobody attempted the clue and Ben kept control.

I wasn't saying that; I was saying keep $100 (or even $1). There's little difference between $13,800 and $14,400 under your scenario.
Not that she was aware, but $13,800 eliminates her from the wild card race.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Choir, De-Feet, and 10-Letter Words.

Matching Cupid to Venus was a new one to me.

Teaching the Sport was a quick 0/5 for me. Any reason I should know that pitch at $200 was a fastball?

Musicians... growing in popularity... musicians... traveling... ... ... ...bandwagon?!

Lach Trash: Impractical Jokers