TD 447 - Grab Bag (Final Standings)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 447 - Grab Bag (Final Standings)

Post by threearruda »

Hello again everyone and welcome to my fifth TD game. I’m glad I get to host this week - as it turns out, this week marks the second anniversary of my first game. This is the first of two quizzes that I have ready in the next six weeks or so, and this one is quite similar in style to last week’s - a series of questions that I have written along the way, or things I simply wanted to ask and see what the results look like.

RULES:
  • Pick one answer out of each set of questions that you think others will not. Your score for each question corresponds to the number of players who picked the same answer you did.
  • You are allowed to “drop” one question for a score of zero (0), and if needed you may utilize one “sheep” to automatically receive the score of the most common answer. Incorrect responses add five (5) points to the sheep’s total. Just like a round of golf, the lowest cumulative score wins - there is one bonus worth one point this time.
  • Please don’t be shy to reach out to me via PM or in the thread as any questions, problems, etc. arise. I’ll do my best to troubleshoot as quickly as possible.
Submit your responses via private message or through this Google form; the deadline is Monday, June 15 at roughly 11:59 p.m. pacific time. The reveal will commence early Tuesday morning.

Good luck and have fun!

1.) Family Music

Each of the songs listed were performed by artists or groups with names of family members in their act’s stage name (for example, the Mothers of Invention or DaBaby). Identify one of the acts given the title listed. Parentheses denotes the song’s year and its chart peak.
  • “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” (1941, #6)
  • “Flowers on the Wall” (1965, #2)
  • “Monday, Monday” (1966, #1)
  • “Ramblin’ Man” (1973, #2)
  • “We are Family” (1979, #2)
  • “I’m So Excited” (1984, #9)
  • “I’ll Be Missing You” (1997, #1)
  • “All For You” (1997, #11)
  • “Say My Name” (2000, #1)
  • “Drift Away” (2003, #9)
  • “Sucker” (2019, #1)
Bonus (-1): Which of the songs on the list inspired this question? (No penalty for incorrect guesses, and you may repeat your answer).

2.) Golden Anniversary

2020 is the fiftieth anniversary of Midnight Cowboy’s Best Picture Oscar victory (for the year 1969). It remains the only X-rated film to be so honored. Name any film named Best Picture since Midnight Cowboy (not including La La Land!).

3.) Before and After
  • Left-handed six-time PBA Bowler of the Year who retired to a memorable short stint as the White House press secretary
  • “10” and “Bolero” actress who was a Hall of Fame shortstop for the Yankees
  • A delicious banana/ice cream sundae that’s served after a non-unanimous boxing result is determined
  • A two-word term for unprofessional behavior (or the minor leagues) that describes a video game with Summoner’s Rift and Howling Abyss
  • A Jeff Bezos-owned newspaper that is also a late 19th century art movement
  • Hexagonal wax storage cells made by bees that’s used in a hairstyle famously worn by President Trump
  • American seascape artist who later moved to Springfield and started a TV family
  • British red liqueur that performed ‘90s hit songs such as “Hey Jealousy”
  • “Ask any mermaid you happen to see..” tuna brand that was a famous race horse of the late 1930s
  • 1971-79 Archie Bunker TV show that later starred Steve Urkel - what a crossover that would be
  • “Good Golly Miss Molly” singer that had stints as a Match Game panelist and Family Feud host
  • A rounded block of Parmesan or Cheddar that lent its name to Pat and Vanna’s game show

4. Math Matters

Solve a math problem (note that I have never taken any courses above pre-calculus; apologies if these are not overly challenging!)
  • 111 + 222 - 333 + 444 - 555 + 666 - 777 + 888
  • 8 to the 4th power times 7 to the 4th power
  • Solve for x… 3x - 6 = 9
  • What is the name for a triangle with three unequal side lengths?
  • Fill in the next number of the Fibonacci sequence: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, ___, 21, 34
  • What’s the earned run average of a pitcher who has allowed 75 earned runs in 175 innings? (please round to two decimals)
  • The number of sides on a dodecagon plus the number of sides on an octagon, divided by the number of sides on a quadrilateral, gives you the number of sides corresponding to what shape?
  • 1 + 1
  • What’s the area of a circle with a radius of 15 cm? (please round to the nearest whole number)

5. Demolition Derby

I drive a Ford Focus that I have named Ariana. She passed 100,000 miles earlier this year, meaning that I will eventually need to find a new car. In honor of what will inevitably be the demise of Ariana, some of these past and present Ford Models have lost some vowels. Provide the full name of one. (HINT: Short dashes are one letter, long dashes are two. There are no three letter gaps).
  • _xpl_r_r
  • F_s__ n
  • Th_nd_rb_rd
  • _xp_d_t__n
  • F__rl_n_
  • Br_nc_
  • M_st_ng
  • T__r_s
  • F__st_
  • W_ndst_r
  • _dg_

6. Literature

Per Britannica, Jane Austen is known for her six major novels (hey… question six!). Name one of these six novels. To eliminate any ambiguity, Lady Susan does not count here.

7.) Pyramid/Lucky Sevens

My state is one of the last to reopen, which has left me lots of time to watch game shows such as Match Game, The Chase and The Pyramid (among others). You need seven correct answers in a round of Pyramid to achieve a perfect score. Given some hints a Pyramid contestant might give, identify one of these seven famous groups of sevens.
  • Aventine Hill, Viminal Hill
  • Colossus of Rhodes, Hanging Gardens of Babylon
  • Asia, Africa, Antarctica
  • Lundi, Mardi, Mercredi
  • Dopey, Doc, Bashful
  • Pride, envy, sloth
  • Skipper, Ginger, Mary Ann

8.) Random Trivia

Grab Bag categories in a quiz contest typically consist of questions that do not relate to one another - random trivia, if you will. Here are questions about random things, or things that are sort of random.
  • This comedian’s TV show, one of the most popular of the 1990s, was the show “about nothing”
  • 1927’s uncertainty principle was posited by which German physicist?
  • This American sports league, which recently resumed its 2020 season in Darlington, SC, has used inversions and quasi-random drawings to determine starting lineups
  • As of July 2013, Markus Dohle is the CEO of this book publisher
  • “Random Dancing” was a popular segment on this Nickelodeon sitcom starring Miranda Cosgrove and Jennette McCurdy
  • This electronic group felt they would “Get Lucky” with 2013’s “Random Access Memories” being a successful album; they were right
  • Marcel Duchamp would know that this art style’s name was (possibly) picked after two artists found it in a dictionary
  • “Random Notes” is a feature on the webpage of this “all the news that fits” music magazine
  • Partake in a random act of this, perhaps on February 17th when they are celebrated
  • Tommy Allsup lost a coin flip that kept him off the ill-fated plane on “The Day The Music Died”; in which U.S. state did the plane crash?
  • The two bars below the search field on the Google homepage read “Google Search” in one and what 3-word phrase in the other?

9.) Food

On the heels of the last question, another name for random categories is potpourri. In French, potpourri translates to rotten pot. Answer a question relating to pots of various kinds, or foods with odors.
  • YouGov and a 2019 Huffington Post article shared that this fish is the least favorite pizza topping among respondents -- 49%!
  • A livescience.com article asks; why does (this green vegetable with a folk name meaning sparrow grass) make your urine smell funny?
  • Bela Lugosi and Robert Pattinson would know that garlic is an archenemy of these creatures
  • A common idiom is “the pot calling the kettle _____” (this color)
  • Philadelphia Pepper Pot stew features this ingredient, the stomachs of various animals
  • This type of flat-bottomed pan shares a name with a Jon Cooper rock band that has Memphis origins
  • Martin Yan is familiar with this “w”, a bowl-shaped cooking pot used in Chinese cuisine
  • Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods, compared the taste of this southeast Asian fruit to “completely rotten mushy onions”
  • This veggie related to cabbage has a western European capital in its name and makes some some lists of pungent foods
  • One of the stinkiest cheeses is this one that bears the name of a Belgian province

10.) Scrap Heap

To wrap up, here are some questions and/or topics that were initially shelved for a variety of reasons. A true melange to wrap up the grab bag quiz.
  • The Fig Newton was created in and named after a town in which state?
  • This sandwich cookie lost out to Oreo and was discontinued in 2003; over a decade later, it was reintroduced by Leaf Brands
  • From SpongeBob SquarePants: Why did the 11-year old get turned away at the Pirate movie?
  • This New Zealand singer found chart success in early 2020 with “Supalonely”
  • Patton Oswalt provides the voice of Remy in this 2007 animated film
  • Tybalt, Benvolio and Friar Laurence are characters in this Shakespeare play
  • Pete Alonso is featured on packs and boxes of Topps' 2020 "Series One" release of what collectible?
  • Stupid Answers for $1000, please: What’s the capital of Djibouti?
  • Popularized in a Christmas song bearing his name, he was the Duke of Bohemia until his 935 assassination
  • This actor plays Frank Reynolds on It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • What’s the square root of 144?
Last edited by threearruda on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Re: TD 447 - Grab Bag

Post by threearruda »

Final Entry List: 28
Rackme32
Flealick
shambolic
merica
clt013

talkingaway
Floridagator
gameshowfandanny
Gamawire
MarkBarrett

mollyqmurphy
Peachbox
xabe
Woof
BrigadierSolo13

Leander
NYCScribbler
jmfk
sillymonkey
Shaquebanisa

AFRET CMS
cthulhu
OpusthePenguin
econgator
gwallace2

Ironhorse
heppm01
MattKnowles
Last edited by threearruda on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Giving this a quick bump as it's already nearing the bottom of the front page. Thanks to a couple of you who have helped to correct some typos that slipped past me - my apologies on that front. No one has been wrong yet on account of the host's incompetence, so that's cool!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Midweek bump, still about five days left to get entries in.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Weekend bump.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

threearruda wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:44 am
Entry List: 20 as of 5:45 a.m. eastern, Saturday 6/13
Rackme32
Flealick
shambolic
merica
clt013

talkingaway
Floridagator
gameshowfandanny
Gamawire
MarkBarrett

mollyqmurphy
Peachbox
xabe
Woof
BrigadierSolo13

Leander
NYCScribbler
jfmk
sillymonkey
Shaquebanisa

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

And one last bump - today is your last chance to get entries in; we'll start the reveal tomorrow.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

1.) Family Music

Each of the songs listed were performed by artists or groups with names of family members in their act’s stage name (for example, the Mothers of Invention or DaBaby). Identify one of the performers given the title listed. Parentheses denotes the song’s year and its peak on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.
  • “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” (1941, #6) Andrews Sisters
  • “Flowers on the Wall” (1965, #2) Statler Brothers
  • “Monday, Monday” (1966, #1) Mamas and the Papas
  • “Ramblin’ Man” (1973, #2) Allman Brothers
  • “We are Family” (1979, #2) Sister Sledge
  • “I’m So Excited” (1984, #9) Pointer Sisters
  • “I’ll Be Missing You” (1997, #1) Puff Daddy
  • “All For You” (1997, #11) Sister Hazel
  • “Say My Name” (2000, #1) Destiny’s Child
  • “Drift Away” (2003, #9) Uncle Kracker
  • “Sucker” (2019, #1) Jonas Brothers
They say J! is like a family, but some of you might not feel like family after this question...

INCORRECT - 9
gameshowfandanny (Fleetwood Mac)
Flealick (Smothers Brothers)

Sister Sledge - 4 (CO-SHEEP!)
Woof
BrigadierSolo13
NYCScribbler
OpusthePenguin

Uncle Kracker - 4 (CO-SHEEP!)
talkingaway
xabe
jfmk
shambolic

Pointer Sisters - 3
heppm01
Mollyqmurphy
Floridagator

Statler Brothers - 3
merica
Gamawire
Rackme32

Allman Brothers Band - 3
AFRET CMS
cthulhu
econgator

Andrews Sisters - 2
Peachbox
Shaquebanisa

Sister Hazel - 2
clt013
gwallace2

Mamas and the Papas - SINGLETON!
Leander

Jonas Brothers - SINGLETON!
MarkBarrett

Destiny’s Child - SINGLETON!
Ironhorse

DROP = 0
sillymonkey
MattKnowles

UNUSED
Puff Daddy

Bonus (-1): Which of the songs on the list inspired this question? (No penalty for incorrect guesses, and you may repeat your answer).

I’ve been using the past three months to relive my childhood through reruns of sports on TV, so I had a Monday Night Football commercial stuck in my head that used “Monday, Monday”. I then listened to the whole song, remembered the group’s name, and figured there was a category to be made here. It also may have helped that this quiz was posted last Monday - one player guessed that part exactly correct.

Honorable mention to Sister Hazel’s “All for You”, which was the second song I thought of and one of the best on the 90s radio station I listen to at work.

A lot of “We Are Family” guesses and some decent guesses of “I’m So Excited” because of the recent death of one of the sisters.

-1 to the following players for correctly guessing “Monday, Monday”:
gameshowfandanny
shambolic
Leander
merica
Rackme32
mollyqmurphy

2.) Golden Anniversary

2020 is the fiftieth anniversary of Midnight Cowboy’s Best Picture Oscar (for the year 1969), the only X-rated film to be so honored. Name any film named Best Picture since Midnight Cowboy (not including La La Land!).

Puyi’s revenge, and lots of singletons...

INCORRECT - 9
mollyqmurphy (A Passage To India - nominated, lost to Amadeus)
gameshowfandanny (Walls of Magic)
Rackme32 (On Golden Pond - nominated, lost to Chariots of Fire)

The Last Emperor (1987) - 5 (SHEEP!)
cthulhu
Peachbox
MattKnowles
Shaquebanisa
shambolic

Rocky (1976) - 2
clt013
heppm01

Amadeus (1984) - 2
Floridagator
OpusthePenguin

SINGLETONS - 1

Patton (1970)
econgator

The Godfather Part II (1974)
AFRET CMS

The Deer Hunter (1978)
Woof

Ordinary People (1980)
jfmk

Chariots of Fire (1981)
Flealick

Gandhi (1982)
sillymonkey

Rain Man (1988)
merica

Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
MarkBarrett

Dances With Wolves (1990)
Gamawire

The English Patient (1996)
Ironhorse

Shakespeare in Love (1998)
BrigadierSolo13

Gla(aaaaaa)diator (2000)
talkingaway

Chicago (2002)
gwallace2

The Artist (2011)
Leander

Birdman (2014)
xabe

DROP = 0
NYCScribbler

Unused: (of course, with more players, this list would look less exhaustive)

The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting (1971-73)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Annie Hall (1977)
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
Terms of Endearment (1983)
Out of Africa (1985)
Platoon (1986)
The Silence of the Lambs (1990)
Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart (1992-95)
Titanic (1997)
American Beauty (1999)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Million Dollar Baby, Crash, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King’s Speech (2003-10)
Argo, 12 Years a Slave (2012-13)
Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water, Green Book and Parasite (2015-2019)

STANDINGS AFTER Q2

T-1. Leander - 1 [d][s]
T-1. sillymonkey - 1 [s]
T-3. MarkBarrett - 2 [d][s]
T-3. Ironhorse - 2 [d][s]
T-5. merica - 3 [d][s]
T-5. gwallace2 - 3 [d][s]
T-7. AFRET CMS - 4 [d][s]
T-7. econgator - 4 [d][s]
T-7. Gamawire - 4 [d][s]
T-7. clt013 - 4 [d][s]
T-7. NYCScribbler - 4 [s]

T-12. jfmk - 5 [d][s]
T-12. MattKnowles - 5 [s]
T-12. BrigadierSolo13 - 5 [d][s]
T-12. Floridagator - 5 [d][s]
T-12. heppm01 - 5 [d][s]
T-12. talkingaway - 5 [d][s]
T-12. Woof - 5 [d][s]
T-12. xabe - 5 [d][s]

20. OpusthePenguin - 6 [d][s]
T-21. Shaquebanisa - 7 [d][s]
T-21. Peachbox - 7 [d][s]
T-23. cthulhu - 8 [d][s]
T-23. shambolic - 8 [d][s]

ALL SHEEP LINE - 9

25. Flealick - 10 [d][s]
T-26. Rackme32 - 11 [d][s]
T-26. Mollyqmurphy - 11 [d][s]
28. gameshowfandanny - 17 [d][s]

sillymonkey uses a drop and Leander uses the Q1 bonus and a pair of singletons to net just one point on today’s questions. They share the lead for now, but it’s still early in the proceedings. See you tomorrow for everyone’s favorites - wordplay and math!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
talkingaway

Re: TD 447 - Grab Bag (Q1-Q2 Revealed)

Post by talkingaway »

I just realized I got Gladiator right for the wrong reason - I thought Liz Taylor revealed it early at the Oscars, but of course it was the Golden Globes because it's ALWAYS the Golden Globes.

And I think I forgot to use my drop. Dummy me. :roll:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm And I think I forgot to use my drop. Dummy me. :roll:
D'oh! ... Uh, I mean, heh heh. What kind of idiot forgets to use their drop? :oops:
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

The Last Emperor (1987) - 5 (SHEEP!)
cthulhu
Peachbox
MattKnowles
Shaquebanisa
shambolic

Seriously ?? :|
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Glad to know my sheep-fu is still working :roll:
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

3.) Before and After
  • Left-handed six-time PBA Bowler of the Year who retired to a memorable short stint as the White House press secretary Earl Anthony Scaramucci
  • “10” and “Bolero” actress who was a Hall of Fame shortstop for the Yankees Bo Derek Jeter
  • A delicious banana/ice cream sundae that’s served after a non-unanimous boxing result is determined Banana Split Decision
  • A two-word term for unprofessional behavior (or the minor leagues) that describes a video game with Summoner’s Rift and Howling Abyss Bush League of Legends
  • A Jeff Bezos-owned newspaper that is also a late 19th century art movement Washington Post-Impressionism
  • Hexagonal wax storage cells made by bees that’s used in a hairstyle famously worn by President Trump Honeycomb-over
  • American seascape artist who later moved to Springfield and started a TV family Winslow Homer Simpson
  • British red liqueur that performed ‘90s hit songs such as “Hey Jealousy” Sloe Gin Blossoms
  • “Ask any mermaid you happen to see..” tuna brand that was a famous race horse of the late 1930s Chicken of the Seabiscuit
  • 1971-79 Archie Bunker TV show that later starred Steve Urkel - what a crossover that would be All in the Family Matters
  • “Good Golly Miss Molly” singer that had stints as a Match Game panelist and Family Feud host Little Richard Dawson
  • A rounded block of Parmesan or Cheddar that lent its name to Pat and Vanna’s game show Cheese Wheel of Fortune

INCORRECT = 14
gameshowfandanny (Unsportsmanlike Conduct)
sillymonkey (Washington Post modernism - one century off)

Chicken of the Seabiscuit - 9 (SHEEP!)
Mollyqmurphy
Floridagator
xabe
gwallace2
Flealick
MarkBarrett
talkingaway
Woof
Shaquebanisa

Earl Anthony Scaramucci - 4
AFRET CMS
clt013
cthulhu
Peachbox

Banana Split Decision - 3
Rackme32
merica
heppm01

All in the Family Matters - 2
NYCScribbler
MattKnowles

Little Richard Dawson - 2
jfmk
Ironhorse

Bush League of Legends - 2
BrigadierSolo13
econgator

Winslow Homer Simpson - 2
Leander
shambolic

Bo Derek Jeter - SINGLETON!
OpusthePenguin

Sloe Gin Blossoms - SINGLETON!
Gamawire

UNUSED
Cheese Wheel of Fortune
Washington Post Impressionism
Honeycomb-over

4. Math Matters
  • 111 + 222 - 333 + 444 - 555 + 666 - 777 + 888 666
  • 8 to the 4th power times 7 to the 4th power 9,834,496
  • Solve for x… 3x - 6 = 9 x = 5
  • What is the name for a triangle with three unequal side lengths? scalene
  • Fill in the next number of the Fibonacci sequence: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, ___, 21, 34 13
  • What’s the earned run average of a pitcher who has given up 75 runs in 175 innings? (please round to two decimals) 3.86
  • The number of sides on a dodecagon plus the number of sides on an octagon, divided by the number of sides on a quadrilateral, gives you the number of sides corresponding to what shape? pentagon
  • 1+1 2
  • What’s the area of a circle with a radius of 15? (please round to the nearest whole number) 707 (cm squared)

Over 1/4 of the group remembers their 8th grade algebra...

INCORRECT = 13
gameshowfandanny (56,000 - I see the logic, but not correct unfortunately)
Peachbox (3.90 ERA - I’ll hear a case on overturning this one - I did say two decimals, but did not say round up)

X=5 - 8 (SHEEP!)
Flealick
shambolic
xabe
clt013
NYCScribbler
MarkBarrett
MattKnowles
heppm01

3.86 ERA - 5
Woof
merica
AFRET CMS
econgator
gwallace2

Scalene - 3
Mollyqmurphy
Jfmk
Ironhorse

Pentagon - 2
Rackme32
Floridagator

707 (cm squared) - 2
talkingaway
cthulhu

666 - 2
OpusthePenguin
sillymonkey

13 - SINGLETON!
BrigadierSolo13

2 - SINGLETON!
Gamawire

DROP = 0
Shaquebanisa
Leander

UNUSED

STANDINGS AFTER Q4

RANK - USER-Drop/Sheep Left - Points - Movement

1. Leander [s] - 3 (--)
2. Gamawire [d][s] - 6 (+5)
3. Ironhorse [d][s] - 7 (--)
4. BrigadierSolo13 [d][s] - 8 (+8)
5. OpusthePenguin [d][s] - 9 (+15)
6. jfmk [d][s] - 10 (+6)
T-7. merica [d][s] - 11 (-2)
T-7. econgator [d][s] - 11 (--)
9. AFRET CMS [d][s] - 13 (-2)
T-10. cthulhu [d][s] - 14 (+13)
T-10. NYCScribbler [s] - 14 (-3)

12. MattKnowles [s] - 15 (--)
T-13. clt013 [d][s] - 16 (-6)
T-13. Floridagator [d][s] - 16 (-1)
T-13. heppm01 [d][s] - 16 (-1)
T-13. Shaquebanisa [s] - 16 (+8)
T-13. Rackme32 [d][s] - 16 (+13)
T-13. talkingaway [d][s] - 16 (-1)
T-19. gwallace2 [d][s] - 17 (-14)
T-19. sillymonkey [s] - 17 (-18)

21. shambolic [d][s] - 18 (+2)
T-22. MarkBarrett [d][s] - 19 (-19)
T-22. Woof [d][s] - 19 (-10)
24. xabe [d][s] - 22 (-12)
25. Mollyqmurphy [d][s] - 23 (+1)
26. Peachbox [d][s] - 24 (-5)

ALL SHEEP LINE - 26

27. Flealick [d][s] - 27 (-2)
28. gameshowfandanny [d][s] - 44 (--)

Leander and Ironhorse retain spots in the top three, while Gamawire has racked up three straight singletons and is close to the top post. BrigadierSolo13 and OpusthePenguin make big moves into the top five as the field begins to spread out a little. We’ll see you tomorrow with cars and classic literature!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: TD 447 - Grab Bag (Q3-Q4 Revealed)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Good ol' 13, never lets me down 8-)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Maybe next time I'll think before I sheep
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

Two more sheep (I really thought Bo Derek Jeter would be the sheep), but I suppose that's not as bad as mixing up the Statler Brothers and the Smothers Brothers...
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 am
INCORRECT = 13
gameshowfandanny (56,000 - I see the logic, but not correct unfortunately)
Peachbox (3.90 ERA - I’ll hear a case on overturning this one - I did say two decimals, but did not say round up)
Nah, I won't appeal. (That's what you get for doing the math in your head when you're tired.)
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

I'd take a retroactive drop if it were offered. Didn't use mine either, and there I am, with a broom behind the parade. Yeesh. :D .
Pending...
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

5. Demolition Derby

I drive a Ford Focus that I have unceremoniously named Ariana. She passed 100,000 miles earlier this year, meaning that I will eventually need to find a new car. In honor of what will inevitably be the demise of Ariana, some of these past and present Ford Models have lost some vowels. Provide the full name of one. (HINT: Short dashes are one letter, long dashes are two. There are no three letter gaps).

* bold and underlined are the letters that were missing
  • Explorer
  • Fusion
  • Thunderbird
  • Expedition
  • Fairlane
  • Bronco
  • Mustang
  • Taurus
  • Fiesta
  • Windstar
  • Edge
Thanks to the kind player who offered advice on when to get rid of my car (right now, apparently! :lol: ). One more year and I'll be ecstatic.

It’s a bull market…

Taurus - 5 (SHEEP!)
talkingaway
merica
Shaquebanisa
xabe
clt013

Fiesta - 4
shambolic
cthulhu
heppm01
MattKnowles

Fairlane - 4
Woof
AFRET CMS
Mollyqmurphy
Gamawire

Explorer - 4
OpusthePenguin
gameshowfandanny
sillymonkey

Edge - 3
Leander
Rackme32
gwallace2

Bronco - 2
Floridagator
BrigadierSolo13

Mustang - 2
Peachbox
jfmk

Expedition - 2
MarkBarrett
econgator

Thunderbird - SINGLETON!
NYCScribbler

Windstar - SINGLETON!
Flealick

UNUSED
Fusion

6. Literature

Per Britannica, Jane Austen is known for her six major novels (hey… question six!). Name one of these six novels. To eliminate any ambiguity, Lady Susan does not count here.

In a near record for my games, half of the field skips past one of history’s most celebrated novelists.

Persuasion - 4 (SHEEP!)
Leander
OpusthePenguin
Woof
jfmk

Northanger Abbey - 3
Shaquebanisa
gwallace2
MattKnowles

Pride and Prejudice - 2
sillymonkey
talkingaway

Mansfield Park - 2
Floridagator
Peachbox

Emma - 2
Mollyqmurphy
cthulhu

Sense and Sensibility - SINGLETON!
NYCScribbler

DROP - 0
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
gameshowfandanny
AFRET CMS
Gamawire
shambolic
BrigadierSolo13
merica
xabe
clt013
Flealick
econgator
Ironhorse
heppm01

No Unused or Incorrect

STANDINGS AFTER Q6

RANK - USER - Drop/Sheep Left - Points - Movement

T-1. Leander [s] - 10 (--)
T-1. Gamawire [s] - 10 (+1)
T-1. BrigadierSolo13 [s] - 10 (+3)
4. Ironhorse [s] - 11 (-1)
5. econgator [s] - 13 (+2)
T-6. jfmk [d][s] - 16 (--)
T-6. merica [s] - 16 (+1)
T-6. NYCScribbler [s] - 16 (+4)
T-9. AFRET CMS [s] - 17 (--)
T-9. OpusthePenguin [d][s] - 17 (-4)

11. Rackme32 [s] - 19 (+2)
T-12. cthulhu [d][s] - 20 (-2)
T-12. Floridagator [d][s] - 20 (+1)
T-12. heppm01 [s] - 20 (+1)
T-15. clt013 [s] - 21 (-2)
T-15. MarkBarrett [s] - 21 (+7)
T-17. MattKnowles [s] - 22 (-5)
T-17. shambolic [s] - 22 (+4)
T-19. talkingaway [d][s] - 23 (-6)
T-19. gwallace2 [d][s] - 23 (--)
T-19. sillymonkey [s] - 23 (--)

22. Shaquebanisa [s] - 24 (-9)
T-23. Woof [d][s] - 27 (-1)
T-23. xabe [s] - 27 (+1)
T-25. Peachbox [d][s] - 28 (+1)
T-25. Flealick [d][s] - 28 (+2)
27. Mollyqmurphy [d][s] - 29 (-2)

ALL SHEEP LINE - 35

28. gameshowfandanny [s] - 48 (--)

The game is heating up as we now have a three way tie at the top, and the top five have a slight advantage over the rest of the field. We’ll see you again tomorrow for lucky sevens and random stuff!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:51 am In a near record for my games, half of the field skips past one of history’s most celebrated novelists.

Persuasion - 4 (SHEEP!)
Leander
OpusthePenguin
Woof
jfmk
This is the one I would have dropped if I'd remembered the drop. So feel free to deduct 4 points from my score and 1 from the scores of Leander, Woof, and jfmk. :D This really is the obvious one to drop, assuming you know at least one possible answer to all the other questions. There are only 6 possible answers to this one and enough players will know all 6 that it's just a mind game. In retrospect I see how Sense and Sensibility was the obvious choice here. Anyone playing the reverse psychology game will go with P & P. Anyone trying to find the most obscure choice in a field of non-obscure choices will avoid P & P and S & S. Of course, if I had gone with Sense and Sensibility, it would have scored a 2, tying with Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park, thus invalidating my reasoning.