Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

I knew Caesar was stabbed a lot, but the number 23 didn't ring a bell. I associate him more closely with the numbers 3 and 15 (or, III and XV.) But given that I stayed up late last night watching Coriolanus, my brain was primed for Shakespeare, so this was a fairly quick get. Romans seemed to be scientific and medical enough to conduct rudimentary (by our standards) autopsies, and WECIB? Usually those are my famous last words, but this one fortunately stuck.

In TV CATCHPHRASES, they misspelled "D'OH!". It's either written as (annoyed grunt) in virtually every instance in a Simpsons script and episode title, or, according to the OED, it's doh without the apostrophe. Would have been a nice touch for the clue to read (annoyed grunt) while Alex says D'OH, but alas...

I saw the thanos/than-at-os trap, and the writers were nice enough to give a nice escape hatch with the 8-letter part of the clue. That's small enough that you should be able to estimate in the time it takes to snap your finger that Thanos is too short...

I fell for my own trap with Rumpelstiltskin instead of Rip Van Winkle on the sleeping fairy tale clue - I know nothing about Rip Van Winkle or Rumpelstiltskin, so I don't know why I thought the latter had to do with falling asleep. Oh well.

No takers on Joy Luck Club? I'm not good on semi-modern literature, but even I got that one. Admittedly, I did read it AND see the movie.

We had "Live Free or Die" just last week, but I guess that's what happens when episodes get shuffled around.

With the parachuting beavers tale, the only thing I could come up with was the episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where they dropped turkeys from an airplane as a promotion, and Mr. Carlson says the great line, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I'd like to thank Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, and John Parr for helping me get the clue about St. Erasmus - not Sesame Street.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:30 am The hilarious pop culture crime was the guesses for the show with "Nanu nanu".
They didn't know Bazinga! or Book 'em Danno, either. TV CATCHPHRASES was not a good category for our contestants. I hope to post a Fourth Podium Poll later tonight so we can all play along. Just dropped in to catch the reactions.

One interesting note: the contestant coordinator was wearing blue medical-type gloves during the snippet they showed before FJ. But post-FJ involved hand-shaking and mouth-wiping and zero social distancing. What was the tape date here?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Is the sanitation crew on strike? There was so much trash available for pickup.. : ;)
Good on Zach for coming up with the joke response on FJ! :lol:
And I got this one :mrgreen:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: I hope to post a Fourth Podium Poll later tonight so we can all play along.
Please include the FJ clue, if you do.
Golf wrote:
Hugo Z wrote: Seriously, how many famous people have died from twenty-three stab wounds?
How many know he was stabbed exactly 23 times? I certainly didn't.
The part about it being a very long time ago made knowing the exact number a moot point.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: I hope to post a Fourth Podium Poll later tonight so we can all play along.
Please include the FJ clue, if you do.
Can't. Poll limit is 16 questions and that's how many triple-stumpers there were. People will have to report on FJ success in the comments. (There's no fourth podium win possible without getting this FJ.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That was painful watching Jennifer throwing away $1000 of real money.

FJ never said stab wounds; it said puncture wounds -- I was initially thinking Jesus, dismissed that, and fell into Caesar pretty quickly.

Take Me Home Country Roads was written by Bill Danoff (also of Afternoon Delight fame) while driving on Clopper Road in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, too many TSs, but another good game for the champ. FJ had me searching. The best so could come up with was Rasputin, but he felt too new-ish. St Elmo was gettable if you recalled that St Elmo’s Fire is a nautical phenomenon.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 pm

In TV CATCHPHRASES, they misspelled "D'OH!". It's either written as (annoyed grunt) in virtually every instance in a Simpsons script and episode title, or, according to the OED, it's doh without the apostrophe. Would have been a nice touch for the clue to read (annoyed grunt) while Alex says D'OH, but alas...
It started as (annoyed grunt) but it became D'oh in closed captions and in episode titles "in later seasons." OED lists it as doh, but it has citations that precede The Simpsons.

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/D%27oh#:~ ... %20airings.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Trebek wins yet again (This will probably be the last time this happens this season.)!
It's the end of the journey that counts.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran TV Catchphrases and Animals, got all but Fleet Street in River and "scintillate"

However, I was 0/5 in Breakout Movie Roles.

Can't say I've heard of "reign of terror" before.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: Thanatos, The Big Bang Theory, Mork & Mindy, Hawaii Five-O, purl, fireplace, boomerang, antelope, Koko. Also got the St. Elmo DD
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 pm That was painful watching Jennifer throwing away $1000 of real money.

FJ never said stab wounds; it said puncture wounds -- I was initially thinking Jesus, dismissed that, and fell into Caesar pretty quickly.

Take Me Home Country Roads was written by Bill Danoff (also of Afternoon Delight fame) while driving on Clopper Road in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Written with his wife and later, the assistance of John Denver. I doubt any of them was unaware that there are 50 states... :roll:
https://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2 ... ost-heaven

As far as I'm concerned, a puncture is what happens when you run over a nail in your car...or when you stab somebody and puncture a lung....or when a snake bites you. So that's where I was led...I knew Cleopatra was bitten (traditionally)...and Marc Antony died around the same time....but I didn't remember that he stabbed himself, he wasn't snake-bit...So I came that close, but Caesar's stabbing never came to me... :roll:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 pm
The four stigmata plus crown of thorns was enough to make me think maybe there were 23, but I also ended up settling on Caesar.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 pmbut the number 23 didn't ring a bell
So you're obviously not Walter Sparrow. And I hope you're not "Topsy Kretts" either.
talkingaway wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 pm I fell for my own trap with Rumpelstiltskin instead of Rip Van Winkle on the sleeping fairy tale clue - I know nothing about Rip Van Winkle or Rumpelstiltskin
There is a hymn in the United Methodist Hymnal that references spinning gold from straw. Surprisingly that is not within the top 20 of "weirdest things I've seen in a hymnal". I don't think it's even the 20th-weirdest thing in that hymnal alone.
talkingaway wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 pm I'd like to thank Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, and John Parr for helping me get the clue about St. Erasmus - not Sesame Street.
I got it because one of the members of Trout Fishing in America used to be in another band called St. Elmo's Fire and that name always stuck with me.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

"Pork you pine" doesn't really work, since pine in that sense isn't a transitive verb. I liked the rest of the category, though!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A Wray wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 am "Pork you pine" doesn't really work, since pine in that sense isn't a transitive verb. I liked the rest of the category, though!
Yeah, that reminds me of the Nine Inch Nails lyric in "Hand That Feeds": "And behind it all there's a price to be paid for the blood which we dine." When I was googling it right now, I got a result that put "on" before "which," but I've heard the isolated vocal, and there's no sign of a preposition there.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Couldn't get Tilda Swinton, though I am very familiar with her, and North Carolina since recent political history is not my forte.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Joy Luck Club, Thanes, Thanatos, The Big Bang Theory, Mork & Mindy, Hawaii Five-O, Purl, Fire Place, Boo Meringue, Tumbril, (St. Elmo), St. Raphael, Antelope, Koko, Sean Penn, Sin Til Late
Douglas Squasoni
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

28 R/4 W
Coryat: $20,800
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:
LT: The Big Bang Theory, Thanatos, antelope, fire place, (St. Elmo)

The Big Bang Theory is literally the only TV show I watch besides J! and sports. I find quantum physics fascinating.

Knew St. Elmo from the song “St. Elmo’s Fire”

I was a bit confused by the word ‘puncture’ in FJ!, but Julius Caesar was an instaget. I rarely overthink FJ! clues.

I am a big fan of Zach; he seems nice, and I hope he makes the TOC.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 pm That was painful watching Jennifer throwing away $1000 of real money.

Uh, spoiler alert! If you read the gospels beyond the story of the crucifixion, you learn that Jesus didn't stay dead long enough for an autopsy.

:roll:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am

Uh, spoiler alert! If you read the gospels beyond the story of the crucifixion, you learn that Jesus didn't stay dead long enough for an autopsy.

:roll:
Aren't most autopsies performed fairly soon after the subject's death? Sabbath laws make a Jewish autopsy unlikely. But the Romans wouldn't have had any scruples in that regard. And they're exactly the kind of people to try something like that, right?

Anyway, I'm sure alietr is familiar with the story. That would be why he dismissed his initial thought. It was just the first result in the brainstorming stage--who's a famous person whose death might involve a fair number of puncture wounds? Jesus? Yeah, but not a good fit for this clue. Who else? Julius Caesar! That feels right. I like it. (There you go. That was a transcript of alietr's thought process.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:27 am The Big Bang Theory is literally the only TV show I watch besides J! and sports. I find quantum physics fascinating.
And I find Sheldon Cooper's "lol, laugh at me, I don't know how being a human works" shtick infuriating and offensive.