2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by RJRouge »

Wow, there just really hasn't been a lot happening with this, has there? I'd have hoped we'd have at least gotten word of more online interviews by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A friend of mine had a Zoom audition three and a half weeks ago.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

What was their audition city?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

San Diego. Seems like they're keeping things fairly local.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

Got an audition last month, where i just answered questions, after that the guy who did the interview told me that if i passed there would be a second phase where i and two others would do a mock game, i got the email telling me i passed exactly a month ago, after that it's been radio silent on their end. Haven't heard of anyone say they did the mock game as of yet.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Invites to mock games are going out, sone are scheduled for next week.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

So there's still hope for Chicago. I understand why, in the current uncertainty with when tapings will resume and travel arrangements, they'd still be keeping things close.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

RJRouge wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 pm So there's still hope for Chicago. I understand why, in the current uncertainty with when tapings will resume and travel arrangements, they'd still be keeping things close.
It wouldn't surprise me if we reverted to "originally from XYZ city", with lots of LA locals. I think that's how they used to introduce them in the first season or two of the show. Personally, I'd be a little nervous going to a studio even if I were local - but I'd be terrified getting on a plane and flying cross country.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 pm
RJRouge wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 pm So there's still hope for Chicago. I understand why, in the current uncertainty with when tapings will resume and travel arrangements, they'd still be keeping things close.
It wouldn't surprise me if we reverted to "originally from XYZ city", with lots of LA locals. I think that's how they used to introduce them in the first season or two of the show. Personally, I'd be a little nervous going to a studio even if I were local - but I'd be terrified getting on a plane and flying cross country.
They can call me, I’ll go!
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

It appears they're still changing things a bit for the Covid era.

Here was my recent timeline:

20 July 20: Email: "Jeopardy! Contestant Audition via Zoom Invite"
22 July 20: An "in-person" test with about 10 other contestant prospects via Zoom.
31 July 20: Email: "Jeopardy! "In-Person" Test Results" that was pretty short: Congratulations! You passed the “In-Person” Test! We are currently working on what will be the next step in your Jeopardy! Contestant Audition process. We’ll be in touch.
The Jeopardy! Contestant Team
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Judging from an email I got from The Chase, CA law currently precludes in person auditions for people from outside CA.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Even though I was theoretically still in the pool from January, I took the Anytime Test on August 5th, and received an invitation today (August 17th) for the next step in the audition process, a Zoom-proctored "in-person" test later this week.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:21 pm Judging from an email I got from The Chase, CA law currently precludes in person auditions for people from outside CA.
The way I've seen things, The Chase (and I would suspect Jeopardy along with it) aren't even taking contestants from more than a two-hour drive to LA.

We've heard J is taping again as we know contestants have been called to the studio, but I haven't seen a single shot of the studio so we can see the socially distant podiums. Does anyone have confirmation of taping happening, or information on when the new season starts?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am Does anyone have confirmation of taping happening, or information on when the new season starts?
It's hearsay, but a friend and former contestant posted on Facebook on August 1 that they had spoken to a real estate agent who recognized their name ("Is this _____ of Jeopardy! fame?"), and as it turned out, the real estate agent had recently taped in the first session of season 37.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:07 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am Does anyone have confirmation of taping happening, or information on when the new season starts?
It's hearsay, but a friend and former contestant posted on Facebook on August 1 that they had spoken to a real estate agent who recognized their name ("Is this _____ of Jeopardy! fame?"), and as it turned out, the real estate agent had recently taped in the first session of season 37.
To me the photo of Alex with the mail, dressed up looking show-ready and the new logo behind him was all the proof I needed that S37 games were being taped.

If there is a photo of the redesigned contestant side of the stage I have not come across it yet.

At this point I would say go ahead and use a fairly dark pencil to write in Sept. 14 for the start of the new season. Next week ask the Danny guy to forward his screen guide to the 14th to what his listings show.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am The way I've seen things, The Chase (and I would suspect Jeopardy along with it) aren't even taking contestants from more than a two-hour drive to LA.
"The Chase" is at least interviewing potential contestants from farther away than that -- I had an audition session that included two people from Northern California (one in San Jose, and one from a small town north of the Bay Area).
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:50 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am The way I've seen things, The Chase (and I would suspect Jeopardy along with it) aren't even taking contestants from more than a two-hour drive to LA.
"The Chase" is at least interviewing potential contestants from farther away than that -- I had an audition session that included two people from Northern California (one in San Jose, and one from a small town north of the Bay Area).
That could depend on the timing of your audition; things change quickly...

The Chase is now accepting people from Nevada
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

COVID made the wait after a test even more maddening than normal. My city is Chicago and I haven't seen any updates for that at all ... is it worth holding out hope that they will be sitting on those test results until they can pull names for auditions?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

nadroj93 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 pm COVID made the wait after a test even more maddening than normal. My city is Chicago and I haven't seen any updates for that at all ... is it worth holding out hope that they will be sitting on those test results until they can pull names for auditions?
They are doing zoom auditions now, so hold on to the hope.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

nadroj93 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 pm COVID made the wait after a test even more maddening than normal. My city is Chicago and I haven't seen any updates for that at all ... is it worth holding out hope that they will be sitting on those test results until they can pull names for auditions?
I've heard of people who've had "passing" (35 out of 50 which IIRC was actually confirmed in passing recently) the online test multiple times before they got their first shot at the live (or Zoom) audition. I'm pretty sure I've heard 5 or 6 times as not uncommon numbers.

Of course you do have to wonder about possible errors - they accept a wide range of typographical errors, and they might "hand" check the 33 or 34 scores to see if there's another mistyped answer they can add to the database. But there's bound to be a few cracks. Plus the "answer key" the people use might not be reliable. Or there's bias - particularly if someone don't record all 50 answers, they could believe they put the right one down when they didn't.

I also wonder what they do with the scores. Is it binary yes/no - 35+ gets in, and everyone gets exactly one ping-pong ball drawn from the lottery? Could they have a quota system where they take an equal number of people who get each score - giving you better odds if you score more because there are fewer people with 36 correct than with 45 correct?

Either way, there's still hope. They probably want to do as few Zoom auditions as possible, and might go on an audition megablitz once the pandemic lightens up.