Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG »

3 correct each of the last 6 matches. 3-2-1 record, and in that order: 3W then 2L then 1T.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

My split: 21-22-23-14. Records were 2-3-0, 3-2-0, 2-1-2, and 1-1-3, respectively. B Rundle.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'll take my 7(3)-6(4) win ...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The last three matches have been good to me: three wins with scores of 9(6), 9(6), and 8(5), which bring me up from #22 to #11 in my A rundle. I am facing ChaffeeR and JacksonM in the next two matches, so things could take a turn, but I'll risk jinxing myself and say I think I've staved off relegation at this point.

edit: for the heck of it, my five-match splits were 23, 22, 24, and 17. And my record for each split was 2-2-1, 0-2-3, 2-3-0, and 2-2-1.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From the Midseason Classic:
Confit.png
Confit.png (58.52 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I won yesterday, but I'm the only person among those on my player tracker who missed SNL. That was my first thought, but calling it a "series" made me second guess. I ended up going with Taxi thinking of Christopher Lloyd in "Back to the Future" and Danny DeVito in "Twins."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 am I won yesterday, but I'm the only person among those on my player tracker who missed SNL. That was my first thought, but calling it a "series" made me second guess. I ended up going with Taxi thinking of Christopher Lloyd in "Back to the Future" and Danny DeVito in "Twins."
I was a weird detour on the comedy question as for 1984 I instantly thought of Ghostbusters, but then had Annie Potts come first to me for a cast member. Designing Women for the series? Nope, too early. I kept thinking about 1984 and which funny ones I saw in the theater (or drive-in) and got the Eddie Murphy movie. I laughed as the duh moment hit me for the ghostbusting guys from SNL.

I'm terrible on TCA with just 74 while 11 3-pointers (just like my days on the playground hoops court) was boosted by a defense gift on Montezuma.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

All I need is one 3-pointer in the last 3 MDs to top my previous record of 15 in a season. That number probably explains why I'm in 4th place right now, even though I'm in the bottom half for correct answers this time around.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Damn, what was that show that F. Murray Abraham was on? Oh well, guess I'll have to go with my second choice, Saturday Night Live.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm Damn, what was that show that F. Murray Abraham was on? Oh well, guess I'll have to go with my second choice, Saturday Night Live.
I actually thought of Amadeus for a second because I was confusing Peter Scolari (of "Bosom Buddies" with Tom Hanks) and Tom Hulce. I don't think Amadeus would be considered a comedy, though. :)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 amThat was my first thought, but calling it a "series" made me second guess.
I was surprised by the number of people on the message board who said this as well. It's a regularly-scheduled television program with a consistent title and format -- it's as much a series as "Jeopardy!" is.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I won 3(3)-1(1) yesterday. My opponent was located in Canada and was educated there, so I thought that 0 was the easy call for the lakes question. But they missed it. I never even thought of the Great Salt Lake. My other two gets were Wallace and Nike. I got as close as "Panthesela" for the question on the superocean.

I was struggling to stay out of the relegation zone around the midseason point, but I'm happy to say that I'm 6-1-1 in my last 8 matches and have clinched another season in C.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

With my 5(3)-(0) win yesterday I will also stay in C another season...I read the lakes question as asking for US lakes with great in the name so I did go with Great Salt Lake; Great Bear Lake came to mind but I discounted it as a non-US lake.

My LL goals are to stay in C, over 75 TCA, and to set a new TCA record each season. With 78 TCA, and a personal record of 79, I think I will be able to accomplish all 3 this season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was floored that 50% thought the Great Salt Lake is larger than Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 amThat was my first thought, but calling it a "series" made me second guess.
I was surprised by the number of people on the message board who said this as well. It's a regularly-scheduled television program with a consistent title and format -- it's as much a series as "Jeopardy!" is.
For the record I wouldn't have considered Jeopardy! to be a series, either. I guess many of us just didn't know the definition of a "television series" before yesterday.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can't say I recall hearing of herbes de Provence. Why was that so well-known?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am Can't say I recall hearing of herbes de Provence. Why was that so well-known?
I knew the question sounded familiar, but couldn't place it or the answer. Shoulda just taken a guess on some area in France ("herbes").

Mid-Season 68/1: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?classic_68. Four years ago, but from experience it seems that lots of players make an effort to remember past questions/answers. (I missed it then too.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am Can't say I recall hearing of herbes de Provence. Why was that so well-known?
I knew the question sounded familiar, but couldn't place it or the answer. Shoulda just taken a guess on some area in France ("herbes").

Mid-Season 68/1: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?classic_68. Four years ago, but from experience it seems that lots of players make an effort to remember past questions/answers. (I missed it then too.)
I just went with Scarborough for that one...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 pm (I missed it then too.)
Yep, me too.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I scored with "provencal". It was a pretty proud get for me, marred only slightly by the high get rate. Don't know much about this sort of thing but I used to order the burger Provencal from a particular French restaurant that I used to occasional.

Nike was my first instinct for a "Jumpman", but then I thought.
I'm smart and I want respect.