Monday, June 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: Monday, June 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by nserven »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. I'm curious where everyone stopped reading and locked in their answer: London, 'new lodgings', or Stamford? ETA: 'new lodgings' here.
Lodgings for me. It helped that I saw the second Downey/Law movie this weekend, so S & H were at the front of my mind, but I've also read the stories. I believe it's "A Study in Scarlet" when they are introduced.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Whereas I had no idea that Holmes & Watson met through a 19th century equivalent of a Craigslist post, so went with The Odd Couple (couldn't even remember Felix's name) for something to have. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

So, what was the final jeopardy! category and clue? My softball team had a doubleheader and needed warm bodies out on the field.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
earendel

Post by earendel »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. I'm curious where everyone stopped reading and locked in their answer: London, 'new lodgings', or Stamford? ETA: 'new lodgings' here.

Not sure why the last half a page of comments happened...
When I saw the category, I said to my wife, "OK, fictional pairs, how about Holmes and Watson?" Imagine my surprise when the clue was revealed.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ Category: Fictional Pairs

These 2 men first meet after one of them tells a friend, Stamford, of needing new lodgings in London.
Spoiler
Who are Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ah, so that's who David is!

I guess I'll have to wait until it's up in the Archive, but I seem to remember that there was a clue that wasn't worded properly -- it didn't have a "this" or anything like that to tell you what they were looking for. Very odd.

FJ was one of those wrong mental track clues. Didn't recognize Stamford at all, so the best I could come up with was Oliver Twist and Fagin, even though I wouldn't call Oliver a 'man'. Sigh.

And man, what was Karen on during the FJ reveal??!?!? I want some of that stuff!
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

On the very day that I had come to this conclusion, I was standing at the Criterion Bar, when some one tapped me on the shoulder, and turning round I recognized young Stamford, who had been a dresser under me at Barts. The sight of a friendly face in the great wilderness of London is a pleasant thing indeed to a lonely man. In old days Stamford had never been a particular crony of mine, but now I hailed him with enthusiasm, and he, in his turn, appeared to be delighted to see me. In the exuberance of my joy, I asked him to lunch with me at the Holborn, and we started off together in a hansom.

"Whatever have you been doing with yourself, Watson?" he asked in undisguised wonder, as we rattled through the crowded London streets. "You are as thin as a lath and as brown as a nut."

I gave him a short sketch of my adventures, and had hardly concluded it by the time that we reached our destination.

"Poor devil!" he said, commiseratingly, after he had listened to my misfortunes. "What are you up to now?"

"Looking for lodgings." {3} I answered. "Trying to solve the problem as to whether it is possible to get comfortable rooms at a reasonable price."

"That's a strange thing," remarked my companion; "you are the second man to-day that has used that expression to me."

"And who was the first?" I asked.

"A fellow who is working at the chemical laboratory up at the hospital. He was bemoaning himself this morning because he could not get someone to go halves with him in some nice rooms which he had found, and which were too much for his purse."

"By Jove!" I cried, "if he really wants someone to share the rooms and the expense, I am the very man for him. I should prefer having a partner to being alone."

Young Stamford looked rather strangely at me over his wine-glass. "You don't know Sherlock Holmes yet," he said; "perhaps you would not care for him as a constant companion."
http://www.literature.org/authors/doyle ... er-01.html
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Stamford, which I learned from Finding Forrester.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Volante wrote:Oh man, I loved that TOM about Mamet.
So, would they have accepted "Who is David bleepin Mamet?" or would "letter of the law" rule against such an obviously "fun" correct answer?
dhkendall wrote:went with The Odd Couple (couldn't even remember Felix's name) for something to have
in London?

Re: 2x4
Vanya wrote:I was bored with that category.
Isn't he great folks? He's here all week!
econgator wrote:And anyone who uses Tyrion Lannister as his avatar is automatically rooted for.
I just see him as The Station Agent. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

yeah, Mark, I had the ? because I didn't think any of them were 4-person acts.

Here's three I thought of (hope I didn't repeat any from the game!):

A) Woodstock, Ohio
B) Rain, Free As A Bird
C) Spinnin' Wheel, And When I Die

no idea on relative difficulty, so won't even try sorting. I'm thinking I have them easiest to hardest, but shrug.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:yeah, Mark, I had the ? because I didn't think any of them were 4-person acts.

A) Woodstock, Ohio
B) Rain, Free As A Bird

no idea on relative difficulty, so won't even try sorting. I'm thinking I have them easiest to hardest, but shrug.
I would put them A, C, B, but that's mostly because I have never heard of the songs mentioned in B.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:yeah, Mark, I had the ? because I didn't think any of them were 4-person acts.

A) Woodstock, Ohio
B) Rain, Free As A Bird

I would put them A, C, B, but that's mostly because I have never heard of the songs mentioned in B.
B is the Beatles, and Rain was from the 60s, but Free asa Bird was written by Lennon in the 70s and was remixed for the Beatles Anthology in 1995 with Ringo, Paul, George, and Jeff Lynne producing.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

This game had a case of the Mondays, everyone played like they had just got out of bed. No need to measure life out in coffee spoons, just give everyone coffee next time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I guess I'll have to wait until it's up in the Archive, but I seem to remember that there was a clue that wasn't worded properly -- it didn't have a "this" or anything like that to tell you what they were looking for. Very odd.
I just entered it and I don't recall any clues like that.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

And just apoplectic that the 2 by 4 category went unfinished, I bet it would have been a good one. And I suspect it was due almost entirely to slow category picking, lots of um's and saying the full title out. Come on, make money, people!
Last edited by Austin Powers on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote:Ah, so that's who David is!

I guess I'll have to wait until it's up in the Archive, but I seem to remember that there was a clue that wasn't worded properly -- it didn't have a "this" or anything like that to tell you what they were looking for. Very odd.

FJ was one of those wrong mental track clues. Didn't recognize Stamford at all, so the best I could come up with was Oliver Twist and Fagin, even though I wouldn't call Oliver a 'man'. Sigh.

And man, what was Karen on during the FJ reveal??!?!? I want some of that stuff!
I wonder if Karen wouldn't have benefited from playing later in the week. She took basically half the first round to get going and even then seemed nervous for quite a bit. That, or a Valium.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:I guess I'll have to wait until it's up in the Archive, but I seem to remember that there was a clue that wasn't worded properly -- it didn't have a "this" or anything like that to tell you what they were looking for. Very odd.
I just entered it and I don't recall any clues like that.
I'm not seeing anything either. I'm wondering if it was the first clue in the languages category -- "Dansk, taught in school on the Faroe Islands" that was relying on the category name where I hadn't yet figured out precisely what they wanted.
BobF

Post by BobF »

xxaaaxx wrote:FJ Category: Fictional Pairs

These 2 men first meet after one of them tells a friend, Stamford, of needing new lodgings in London.
Spoiler
Who are Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson?
Thanks, you're a nice guy - for a Yankee fan. :)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

gloriaclemente wrote:Congratulations, Swift's/David! Every game you win makes me feel a little better about losing to you. I hope you tear it up in the TOC!
And I was hoping his nic would be Operaman...

A) Woodstock, Ohio
B) Rain, Free As A Bird

The answer to C) - Blood, Sweat, & Tears - had a lot of horn players in it, they weren't a four piece band.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was on the road all day yesterday and didn't get to see it until just now.

Is it well known that Harrison Ford flies airplanes? I can think of lots of "elevating" hobbies.

I knew the first 3 in Playwright but couldn't get them to my mouth. ("Oh, um, something Arthur… Arthur M… begins with an M… damn it." Likewise "Um… postal fraud. No wait, postal is in the clue. Um… mmm… starts with M…" M words clearly aren't my thing today, it seems.

Never heard the "adventure" meaning of "Capers" — hell, I've barely heard of the food. Likewise, I've never heard "Dabble" to mean playing in water.

Predicted an 0/5 in War of 1812 and was not surprised. I told my aunt last week that I don't recall spending much time at all on wars in HS history classes — we just glossed over them and got into no detail whatsoever on even the most important battles. She said that it might've been because I was in HS during a time of peace.

Beyond War and La Boheme seeming a tad rough at $400, DJ! felt incredibly easy to me.

Total mental block on FJ! Couldn't think of anybody at all. Then come the reveal, I head-slapped so hard that I think I shattered my cranium.

Also, obligatory YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!! on 2 by 4 for $400.