WWTBAM returns to primetime

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by alietr »

It looks like regular folk will have another shot at it:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... dRoVlLS-w8
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thanks, Andy
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

Reading the requirements, I don’t see any exclusions for people who were previously contestants on WWTBAM from applying. Do people think this is just an oversight, or the fact that this is via contestant coordinator selection that hot seat returnees would be filtered Out?
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

Robbo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:03 pm Reading the requirements, I don’t see any exclusions for people who were previously contestants on WWTBAM from applying. Do people think this is just an oversight, or the fact that this is via contestant coordinator selection that hot seat returnees would be filtered Out?
Requirement #7 does not allow previous contestants back.

7. Any individual who has appeared as a contestant on any version of the Program, and whose appearance was broadcast as part of the Program is not eligible to be a contestant on the Program again.
Golf

Post by Golf »

goongas wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:28 pm Requirement #7 does not allow previous contestants back.

7. Any individual who has appeared as a contestant on any version of the Program, and whose appearance was broadcast as part of the Program is not eligible to be a contestant on the Program again.
They need to differentiate between contestants in the hot seat and those who did not make it out of the ring of fire. During the prime time run, if you didn't make it into the hot seat you were still eligible. But the way #7 is currently written, anybody in the ring of fire was indeed a contestant as they played the fastest finger game, so they would not be eligible.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:55 pm
goongas wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:28 pm Requirement #7 does not allow previous contestants back.

They need to differentiate between contestants in the hot seat and those who did not make it out of the ring of fire. During the prime time run, if you didn't make it into the hot seat you were still eligible. But the way #7 is currently written, anybody in the ring of fire was indeed a contestant as they played the fastest finger game, so they would not be eligible.
If I was in that boat, I would absolutely apply and then if contacted, inform them of the situation and let them decide.

From the application: "Producer will make all determinations of contestant eligibility in its sole discretion, which shall be final and binding, and not subject to challenge or appeal. Producer reserves the right to add to or modify the eligibility requirements at any time."

wow, lookit there, that whole "sole discretion" thing that pops up from time to time...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bumping Golf & triviawayne's favorite thread :D

For everyone else, Season 2 starts Sunday night, October 18th. The before & after shows are Supermarket Sweep hosted by Leslie Jones and Card Sharks hosted by Joel McCale.

It is going to be a mix of celebrities playing for charity and civilians (such as a firefighter).

Celebrities include: Tiffany Haddish, Julie Bowen (first two confirmed on Comcast guide), (the rest shared [rumored] through online posts) Ray Romano, David Chang, Cedric the Entertainer, Zachary Quinto, Karamo Brown, Joel McHale, Amanda Peet, Thomas Middleditch and Rebel Wilson.

Edited to fix McCale to McHale. Thanks, econgator.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 amIt is going to be a mix of celebrities playing for charity and civilians (such as a firefighter).
One promo I saw said "first responders".
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:19 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 amIt is going to be a mix of celebrities playing for charity and civilians (such as a firefighter).
One promo I saw said "first responders".
Through the audition process, it was either stated or obvious first responders/nurses/frontline workers are what they wanted.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 am Card Sharks hosted by Joel McCale.
McHale
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:06 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 am Card Sharks hosted by Joel McCale.
McHale
A Navy guy would know McHale. ;)

Thanks, my bad.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Tonight’s show had one celebrity and one “hero”. Tonight’s hero was a firefighter. Both got to bring a friend that could help through the first ten questions.

Episode ended with a Regis tribute montage, including a clip of him visiting Jimmy on the set.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:53 pm Tonight’s show had one celebrity and one “hero”. Tonight’s hero was a firefighter. Both got to bring a friend that could help through the first ten questions.

Episode ended with a Regis tribute montage, including a clip of him visiting Jimmy on the set.
Being familiar with Tiffany Haddish through her visits with Ellen and her hosting Kids Say the Darndest Things helped me take her question playing tactics in stride. For viewers dealing with NHOH it may be a different experience.

The Regis moment handling John Carpenter shows how a host can add to a big game show moment. John with his dad and Regis giving the prize-winning announcement is an all-time clip that never gets old. Chris Harrison (not that he had a chance to give away $1M) did not acquire the skill for adding a hostful punch at appropriate times. Chris Hardwick on The Wall does well with both the big money wins and the disappointing losses.

Jimmy is great with the banter and he is more helpful when contestants go to him than he lets on at first. I wish Jimmy had better instincts when players get to higher amount clues as there are places for the host to bump up the tension and excitement.

Lucario usually cleans up on six-figure Qs so it will be fun to see how he does this season, especially if some are in the TV area.

Me: 1/1 without having seen the episode
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Great Tribute to Regis at the end.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:24 am Lucario usually cleans up on six-figure Qs so it will be fun to see how he does this season, especially if some are in the TV area.

Me: 1/1 without having seen the episode
I got it too, under the same circumstances (though I have watched a clip of that scene). In my case, "without having seen the episode" refers to both the episode in question and the Millionaire episode, so my get involved the extra challenge of reading the question off bobbymgsk's blog. I assume the question said that the Sopranos were "waiting on" the food order being sought rather than "sitting on" it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Too easy. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think the question said they were “snacking” on whatever the food was.

I had never heard of her before. She was funny but her act got old in a hurry for me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 am I had never heard of her before.
You weren't paying attention on last Monday's Jeopardy! episode.
Douglas Squasoni
Golf

Post by Golf »

While I'm not fond of TIffany's schtick, I thought she showed very nice logic on the chukkas question.

But not thrilled of 45 minutes of schtick and only <15 minutes of real people playing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When does the next episode air?