New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:12 am Concur with "I didn't come here in a wimp-mobile".

Google ngrams for "wimp-mobile": none found

I fixed the "select"/"pick" issue in that FJ!... can I get some e-mail or DM notification whenever a probable SQL issue like this prevents accurate entry, so that I can go in and manually fix it in the database? (For the uninitiated, this is due to some kind of database hack protection on the server that I have no ability to relax.)

I'm pretty happy that the backend system decided to put "$1,000 if eliminated" as the outcome/prize all three players in this rare triple-zero-in-a-tournament-quarterfinal scenario. Does everybody agree this is adequate or could it be improved upon?
I think it's good. At first I didn't like it because it seems like there's no "if" about it. They're eliminated. But then I thought if enough other players score 0, then at least one wildcard spot will go to a $0 player. Is that determined by which player had the highest pre-FJ score? Florence and Pat are tied pre-FJ. So what's the next determinant?
J! has come out pretty strongly against scores of 0, other than perhaps in the first game of a tournament finals. My guess is that they intentionally make the QF FJ! clues easy enough that, on at least 2 days, at least 2 contestants are expected to get it right. This season, I went 4/5 in the Teacher and College QFs, but only 1/5 on ToC...of course, that's partially because I'm a dunce.

What would they do if they only had, say, 5 winners and 3 wildcards, with the other 7 players getting 0? In reality, probably pre-FJ! score. What would I like? Haul out the fourth podium left in the storage room from Super Jeopardy!. Two games of 4 players for SF. Winner of each game advances, loser eliminated. Middle 2 of each game play Wednesday in a second chance game for the third slot. Then put the fourth podium back in storage.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:54 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:12 am Concur with "I didn't come here in a wimp-mobile".

Google ngrams for "wimp-mobile": none found

I fixed the "select"/"pick" issue in that FJ!... can I get some e-mail or DM notification whenever a probable SQL issue like this prevents accurate entry, so that I can go in and manually fix it in the database? (For the uninitiated, this is due to some kind of database hack protection on the server that I have no ability to relax.)

I'm pretty happy that the backend system decided to put "$1,000 if eliminated" as the outcome/prize all three players in this rare triple-zero-in-a-tournament-quarterfinal scenario. Does everybody agree this is adequate or could it be improved upon?
I think it's good. At first I didn't like it because it seems like there's no "if" about it. They're eliminated. But then I thought if enough other players score 0, then at least one wildcard spot will go to a $0 player. Is that determined by which player had the highest pre-FJ score? Florence and Pat are tied pre-FJ. So what's the next determinant?
J! has come out pretty strongly against scores of 0, other than perhaps in the first game of a tournament finals. My guess is that they intentionally make the QF FJ! clues easy enough that, on at least 2 days, at least 2 contestants are expected to get it right. This season, I went 4/5 in the Teacher and College QFs, but only 1/5 on ToC...of course, that's partially because I'm a dunce.

What would they do if they only had, say, 5 winners and 3 wildcards, with the other 7 players getting 0? In reality, probably pre-FJ! score. What would I like? Haul out the fourth podium left in the storage room from Super Jeopardy!. Two games of 4 players for SF. Winner of each game advances, loser eliminated. Middle 2 of each game play Wednesday in a second chance game for the third slot. Then put the fourth podium back in storage.
2003 ToC - start here: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1352

9000-9000=0=WC3
7600-7600=0=WC4
7400-7400=0=alternate

6400-6400=0 could have sat pat
5300-5300=0 could have sat pat
2600-2600=0 could have sat pat

Not bad enough? There was a minus 3000 after the DJ round.
Want more? There was a minus 2000 after the DJ! round.

The FJ! clues went 4/13.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 pm The animal now eats orchids. Onto the next game.
So we're sure it's animal eats orchids not animals eat orchids.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 pm The animal now eats orchids. Onto the next game.
So we're sure it's animal eats orchids not animals eat orchids.
DID YOU NEVER WATCH ANY POPEYE
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I added 7/17/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6772

Sorry Opus, Encyclopaedia Britannica, is not Encyclopedia Brittanica, and this time (busted in a previous game) BUtterfield 8 has the uppercase U. I'm sure I'm left something else for you though. ;)
:lol: J7 BREAD $100 should be
Spoiler
pumpernickel
The correct response to J11 WORD ORIGINS $400 showed up in the newspaper Jumble years ago.
Spoiler
Jumbled up it was ESSTTE or similar and it unjumbled nicely to TESTES. That seemed a little spicy for something that shared a page with the funnies, but what else could it be? This made the puzzle unsolvable and I think I had to wait until the next day to learn my mistake. That was probably over 25 years ago and I wonder about it to this day. Did the Jumble creator really not notice the possibility? Or was it a sly deliberate inclusion?
J21 ZOOLOGY $100: The aardwolf isn't a wolf but is related to these, which is no laughing matter
Spoiler
Hyenas, of course. It took me a second. My brain was in older Jeopardy mode where I think they didn't use this type of TOM so much. In the modern version of the game we've learned to key in on the parts of a clue that seem like unnecessary asides.
No chance on '50s TV. Whiffed the whole category. Even the one essentially asking for Truman's vice president.
Spoiler
Alben Barkley. I think that name came up in another recently archived game. Maybe it'll stick this time.
Of course, one of them was an audio clue sans audio. But looking at the correct response I know the audio wouldn't have helped. Do the archivists have plans for adding audio/video/images? It seems as though almost all those links 404. I might be able to help upload some of those if someone gave me access. Especially for games from the last 8 years or so, many of which I have on my hard drive.

Instagot FJ. If that hadn't happened, I think I would've worked my way there. Maybe.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am familiar with Jeep from Popeye, but I didn’t know he traveled through time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bread fixed from the previous game, thanks.

I added 7/18/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6773

Player pics of Bob Carman & Han D’Angelo:
Spoiler
Pic of Margot Cameron was shared earlier this summer.

Bob couldn't get out of his own way in allowing Hank to complete the comeback.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/19/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6774

Player pics of George Soule, Hank D’Angelo and Bernard Kiernan have been posted recently.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:57 am Bread fixed from the previous game, thanks.

I added 7/18/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6773
Note to Mark: No corrections, so you don't have to read this for work purposes. I like to feel I'm fascinating enough to read purely for recreation, but I'll leave that decision to you. :D

My oh my the odd things one learns from Jeopardy! J3 MAMMALS $300: World Book says the flesh of these bony-plated mammals is good to eat
Spoiler
Armadillo. What other "bony-plated mammal" can one name? The pangolin? Nice try, but that's keratin. It's interesting that the clue cites World Book. Almost as though the writers aren't willing to vouch for the actual fact, only for the fact that some research tool makes the claim. I certainly had no idea that armadillo was edible at all, except maybe out of desperation.
These days we'd definitely have a negbait debate on J4 MAMMALS $400: Native to Africa, this nocturnal mammal that feasts on ants is the only living member of its order
Spoiler
Aardvark. I think I'd have clammed initially. I leaned toward aardvark because of the Africa-Dutch connection. Plus at $400, "anteater" seemed a little on the nose for "mammal that feasts on ants". But after Margot helpfully eliminated that possibility and Bob took a flier with our friend the pangolin (!), I think I'd have scooped this one up. So, not surprised at the anteater neg, but definitely surprised by the pangolin guess--especially since I'd just mentioned pangolins--and also surprised this clue ended up a TS.
Seems like every tenth game came with a side of Bible back then! This is 1990 AND it's a Seniors Tournament, so I'm predicting we'll be fine. Let's see... missed the $100 clue! They did, and so did I: In the Bible you didn't just put these on, you "girded" them on, as David did in I Samuel 25:13
Spoiler
Swords. Like Bob I fell for the "loins" neg even though I know what loins are and that one doesn't exactly put them on and take them off. But the association of "gird" and "loins" is so strong that I figured it was the WRITERS who were making another one of their Bible mistakes, not me. Silly me. Pride goeth before what now?
Spoiler
Destruction. It's "an haughty spirit" that "goeth before a fall".
I even remember a hymn we occasionally sang in the Presbyterian church based on Psalm 45 that had the line "Now gird thee with thy sword." Still, though, not a great clue for the $100 slot--or ANY slot, really. It's got the (admittedly nonsensical) negbait of "loins". And sweeping that aside, without citing an obscure verse, the clue can't be pinned to "sword". A quick search reveals instances in the KJV of girding on weapons of war, sackcloth, and girdles (in one case with a sword fastened on it, but it was the girdle that got girded).
Ok, shake it off. How'd we do on the REST of the BIBLE category? $200 was easy peasy. Then more trouble for me (but not our doughty contestants, or at least Margot) in J10 BIBLE $300: It wasn't the name of just one king but a dynasty that ruled in the Holy Land in New Testament times
Spoiler
Herod. The clue just took me too long to parse and I initially missed the all-important "New Testament" qualifier. So I wasted a couple of seconds thinking of the Davidic/Solomonic line. Once I saw the NT, I got to Herod almost immediately. Maybe if this had been a stand-and-stare I'd have sorted things out before Alex provided the correct response. Would definitely knock this one out as a DD or FJ. That's where you'd see a clue like this today.
So now I'm 1 for 3 on BIBLE. I get the next one, but wow! They want ALL THREE languages?! J11 BIBLE $400: The three languages in which Pilate wrote "Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews" on the cross at the crucifixion
Spoiler
Latin, Greek, Aramaic. Bob got all three. Good for him. This is definitely one where I'd ring in without having all three in mind, just confident that I could get there in time. These days, this clue would ask for at MOST two of the three and even at that it'd be a DD. As a side note, they'd also have to accept Latin, Greek, and Hebrew since that's what Jeopardy!'s Bible of record, the KJV, says.
That puts me at 2 for 4 on BIBLE. Let's check on the $500 clue. Oh, we'll have to wait. After that last one, we're going to a different category. Bob may have gotten it right, but he doesn't want to roll those dice again just yet. Smart man. Instead, he takes us to J12 FILMS OF THE '40s $400: He was a well-respected actor in England before taking his 1st U.S. role in "Anna & the King of Siam"
Spoiler
Rex Harrison. Like Margot, I fell for the negbait of Yul Brynner. This game is turning into a disaster for me.
Ok, we eventually make our way back to BIBLE and it's another toughie. J19 BIBLE $500: Psalms has the most chapters, 150, & this prophetic book is second with 66
Spoiler
Isaiah. Margot, who called for the clue, gets it right. This is another one where I'd ring in first and figure it out on the fly. My first thought was Jeremiah which is second longest by word count. But then I thought, no, I can't recall Jeremiah going past 60 chapters and I know for sure that Isaiah does. I think most people who get this will do so by reasoning it out rather than happening to know the exact fact. This is another clue that would not fly today.
Final BIBLE score for Opus: 3 right, 1 clam, 1 neg. $1000 out of a possible $1500. Grrrr....

Wow, this game is super-negbaity, at least for me and the contestants. I joined Hank with his wrong guess on DD2 DJ10 COLONIAL AMERICA: By 1775 it was the second largest city in the British Empire
Spoiler
Philadelphia. Hank went with Boston as did I. I used most of my think time swatting away New York, which had come up in a previous clue. Given the choice of Philadelphia or Boston, I think I'd have gone with Phillie. But Boston was the one that popped into my head with time running out.
I think we'd definitely get a couple of poll questions out of the following. DJ17 POTLUCK $600: A mournful poem composed to lament someone who has died
Spoiler
Dirge. But after initially rejecting Hank's response of "elegy" there was a score reversal. I'm surprised "elegy" wasn't on Alex's card as an alternate. In fact, I'd be LESS surprised if elegy had been the expected response and they'd initially negged "dirge" before grudgingly reversing that decision. I'm checking the box that says "I had elegy" on this one.
FJ was totally gettable but I only came up with one. I wonder if I'd have gotten both back in 1990.
Spoiler
I'm checking the box that says "I had Bess but not Betty". Mrs Penguin would check the Betty not Bess box. Between the two of us, we got this one right. I subbed in Coolidge for the second spot. Her name was actually Grace, which makes sense for the wife of John Calvin Coolidge. I'll try to remember that. Mrs Penguin went with [Turns out it's Lou] Hoover.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It wouldn't be the last time a J! tournament had finalists named George and Bernard: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1420
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:30 pm I added 7/19/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6774
J13 FAMOUS FIRSTS $300: This first charge card permitted its 200 founding members to eat on credit at 27 N.Y. restaurants
Spoiler
George really said "Diners Card" and Alex accepted it without comment? The word "club" was never even brought up?
Poorly worded clue on DJ22 HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $400: It's the day on which the republic of Ireland commemorates the death of this patron saint
Spoiler
Hank gets credit for "March 17th" with Alex confirming "St. Patrick's Day". Either way, they're both taking "it's the day" rather than "this patron saint" as the phrase that designates what the clue is looking for. What would they have done with "Who is St. Patrick?"
FJ's kind of a dirty trick
Spoiler
if you don't know South Africa has more than one capital. Hank negged with a capital of South Africa, but not the correct one. The other two got it so he's in a bad spot going into Day 2.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Apologies to Opus for thinking it was his book company on J15.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Surprise! A triple header today (at least in PDT) as I added 7/20/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6775

Player pics of George Soule, Hank D’Angelo and Bernard Kiernan have been posted recently.

The FJ! category helps a lot, though you have to keep it in mind when playing the clue, unlike Hank.

George's 2-day total was $25K on the nose to exactly match the guarantee for anyone who likes those kind of coincidences.

I did not like the thought of having F2 hanging until another day, so I finished it tonight instead. Tomorrow I will treat myself to a day off from J! things and will resume archiving on Monday morning.

Opus: Thank you for your comments, corrections and everything else. It's all good. Thanks to you I was able to see the problem I created with the Irish holiday clue. It's been fixed to "its patron saint" to make the responses fine.

For the credit card I checked again and no doubt he said, "card" and there was no mention of "Diners" from anyone.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/10/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6776

Player pics of Val Sullivan, Lou Pryor & Bill Lyons:
Spoiler
Prior to revealing the FJ! clue (wagers were already locked in a of course) Alex let the players know the news about there being five wildcards.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/11/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6777

Player pics of Mary Webster, Nancy Pearson and Babs McClellan:
Spoiler
Babs 1965: https://youtu.be/0CzpnaQdUGQ

I would take under 3/3 on the FJ clue if played in 2020. That clue was a good one for the right crowd at the right time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlan ... =192904839

An obituary for a Barbara McClellelan from 2019.

It doesn’t mention Jeopardy, but it does mention her living in Clearwater and the picture resembles the screenshot you posted.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:51 pm https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlan ... =192904839

An obituary for a Barbara McClellelan from 2019.

It doesn’t mention Jeopardy, but it does mention her living in Clearwater and the picture resembles the screenshot you posted.
Try "barbara mcclellan jeopardy obit"
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm I added 7/10/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6776

Prior to revealing the FJ! clue (wagers were already locked in a of course) Alex let the players know the news about there being five wildcards.
As a contestant I think I would find that information really distracting right before the clue reveal. Does this mean I wagered wrong? How does this affect my chances? Shut up and concentrate on the clue, Opus. He already read it? Uh.... On the plus side, this is a really easy FJ, I thought. Instaget for this penguin. Surprised one of the three missed it.

Did DJ1 FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $200 really have two "this"es?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:28 pm I added 7/11/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6777

I would take under 3/3 on the FJ clue if played in 2020. That clue was a good one for the right crowd at the right time.
J16 1981 $100: New President Reagan put a glass jar full of this candy on the cabinet room table
Spoiler
Jelly Bellies. I assume they would've accepted jelly beans, but a BMS wouldn't have been totally out of order. Jelly Belly was the specific brand and that's where most of us learned that the brand existed. So maybe "jelly beans" would be like answering "chocolate bars" when they want "Hershey bars."
J17 1981 $200: Her engagement was announced February 24, she wed July 29, & was expecting in October
Spoiler
Princess Diana. For the record, J! writers and everyone else, she was Diana, Princess of Wales, NEVER Princess Diana. I'm not saying the contestant should have been negged on a technicality. But I do think Alex should have corrected her. "Yep. Diana, Princess of Wales" is all it needed. There are (haughty sniff)... rules.
J25 TRANSPORTATION $400: During the Civil War they were used to direct cannon fire & to report troop movements
Spoiler
Balloons. Alex rules Nancy correct before she can say "hot air balloons". Alex gives it to her but clarifies "they weren't necessarily hot air balloons". Ok, then what were they? What other kind of balloon transportation (note category) was available during the Civil War? Hydrogen? Helium hadn't even been invented back then. :D
Yeah, would not have predicted that triple get FJ. Not only didn't I get it, I couldn't come up with a plausible guess, and I didn't have any spark of recognition at the correct response. I guess this was something Seniors in 1991 knew. For the record, my guess was...
Spoiler
Who are Astaire & Rogers? I figured there was an outside chance they'd played themselves, though I doubted they'd ever been a couple. Still. Beats leaving it blank.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Opus...I had the same guess on FJ. In a QF match with that category I am betting zero and hoping my pre-FJ score holds up.

Did Alex mention the fifth WC in QF4? Or in QF5 that you will see tomorrow?