Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:05 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:50 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Thank you! The archive's search feature doesn't turn it up. Google doesn't find it for me either. Everybody else do me a favor and Google "He was the first Democrat to die in office" complete with quotation marks. When I do that, I get ONE hit. I just fired up Tor and ran the same search from a Netherlands IP. Still only gives me this thread. DuckDuckGo doesn't even give me that much. Does Google not crawl that collectedfinals page for some reason?
I don't think there's a link to it anywhere. No link, no crawler.
Why don't the JBoard crawlers follow the above link and others like it?
Who do you think I am, Sergey Brin and/or Larry Page?
Careful, this might be a trick question...but my bet is on Larry.
He did leave open the possibility that he's both of them....
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:56 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm And BTW jlgarfield, what "archives" is that clue from?
http://j-archive.com/collectedfinals.php
557 1991‑03‑08 U.S. PRESIDENTS HE WAS THE FIRST DEMOCRAT TO DIE IN OFFICE
Thank you! The archive's search feature doesn't turn it up. Google doesn't find it for me either. Everybody else do me a favor and Google "He was the first Democrat to die in office" complete with quotation marks. When I do that, I get ONE hit. I just fired up Tor and ran the same search from a Netherlands IP. Still only gives me this thread. DuckDuckGo doesn't even give me that much. Does Google not crawl that collectedfinals page for some reason?
My guess is that the page doesn't actually "exist", but rather is automatically generated from a database. This is why it loads so slowly. You'll notice that the FJ about African countries that Mark just entered is on the list, and the date on the page links to the newly-entered game. I figure it's checking every date against the Archive database as it loads, to enable that functionality.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 am
Spoiler
Volante wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:56 pm
http://j-archive.com/collectedfinals.php
557 1991‑03‑08 U.S. PRESIDENTS HE WAS THE FIRST DEMOCRAT TO DIE IN OFFICE
My guess is that the page doesn't actually "exist", but rather is automatically generated from a database. This is why it loads so slowly. You'll notice that the FJ about African countries that Mark just entered is on the list, and the date on the page links to the newly-entered game. I figure it's checking every date against the Archive database as it loads, to enable that functionality.
Interesting. It includes FJs from games that aren't in the archive, though. The one we're discussing, for example. You can't find it with the archive search function. Where is it pulling those from?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 am
Spoiler

Interesting. It includes FJs from games that aren't in the archive, though. The one we're discussing, for example. You can't find it with the archive search function. Where is it pulling those from?
The Infinite Final Jeopardy feature at jeopardy.com, ultimately:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3026
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:59 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 am
Spoiler
The Infinite Final Jeopardy feature at jeopardy.com, ultimately:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3026
1. That link doesn't help me find the Infinite Final Jeopardy feature

2. Why doesn't the Infinite Final Jeopardy feature get crawled?

I feel like I'm being dense, but I can't seem to help it. Feel free to decide I'm too tiresome to respond to any time it suits you.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:42 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:59 am The Infinite Final Jeopardy feature at jeopardy.com, ultimately:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3026

I feel like I'm being dense, but I can't seem to help it. Feel free to decide I'm too tiresome to respond to any time it suits you.
https://www.jeopardy.com/ and scroll down until you hit it.

Infinite Final isn't crawled because it's generated independently on the backend as the webpage is created so only the clue at the time of crawling would get snapshotted. The crawler can't browse to the source file used to generate Infinite Final
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:59 am The Infinite Final Jeopardy feature at jeopardy.com, ultimately:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3026

Infinite Final isn't crawled because it's generated independently on the backend as the webpage is created so only the clue at the time of crawling would get snapshotted. The crawler can't browse to the source file used to generate Infinite Final
Then how does http://j-archive.com/collectedfinals.php scrape it?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:59 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3026

RKS scraped it manually and i'm guessing put it in its own database archive side.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:59 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3026

RKS scraped it manually and i'm guessing put it in its own database archive side.
Then I'm back to not understanding why the page takes so long to load and also why crawlers don't find this information. Sigh. Sorry. I don't mean to be difficult or dense.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

US STATE CAPITALS

The second-most populous city in its state, it has a density of 11.3 inhabitants per square mile.
Spoiler
What is Juneau?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am US STATE CAPITALS

The second-most populous city in its state, it has a density of 11.3 inhabitants per square mile.
Spoiler
What is Juneau?
I like this one. Sufficient TOM to be gettable within 30 seconds, but it does require some thought to infer a reasonable conclusion.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am US STATE CAPITALS

Spoiler
What is Juneau?
I saw this and then played this newly archived game from 1991:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6781

Check out J25 VICE PRESIDENTS $400: Alaska's 2nd largest city is named for this man, Teddy Roosevelt's vice president
Spoiler
(Charles) Fairbanks. Juneau has gained almost 12,000 people since 1990 to reach 31,435. Meanwhile Fairbanks has lost a hundred, falling from 31,096 to 30,996. So Juneau now has ~400 more and has become Alaska's second largest. At 285,634, Anchorage is in no danger of losing the top spot.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

COMEDY TEAM

This comedy team got its start under the name "Ted Healy and His Southern Gentlemen"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Juneau is also the only capital that you can’t drive to.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm Juneau is also the only capital that you can’t drive to.
Can't drive to Honolulu...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:03 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm Juneau is also the only capital that you can’t drive to.
You can if you start in Kailua.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:45 am
But don't start with too much Kahlua.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:45 am
Yeah, that’s where I was going with that. I probably could have worded that better.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

jlgarfield wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:27 pm COMEDY TEAM

This comedy team got its start under the name "Ted Healy and His Southern Gentlemen"
Man, this took me waaaaay longer than 30 seconds to dredge up from the depths. I think it's
Spoiler
Who are the Three Stooges?
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:38 pm
jlgarfield wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:27 pm COMEDY TEAM

Man, this took me waaaaay longer than 30 seconds to dredge up from the depths. I think it's
Spoiler
Who are the Three Stooges?
Spoiler
I watched a movie from 1934 on Turner recently in which they were billed as The Three Julians. It was a melodrama and they were among other passengers on a bus. Not even comic relief, really. Apparently MGM didn't know what to do with them.