New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:03 pm For me, the FJ was easy peasy because I know Latin. If you don't, and don't happen to know the trivium, there are a couple of adjacent bits of knowledge that might help.
Spoiler
Australopithecus means "southern ape". Aurora Australis are the southern lights.
The lights were my 'in'.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pm I added 12/19/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6805
I was going to ask when the last time was that a contestant was described as a "housewife" (as Kay Hoey was in this game), but it has been as recently as 2016.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:03 pm Weird misuse of "this" on DJ27 DANCE $400: This country line dance was inspired by a 1992 Billy Ray Cyrus hit
Judging by the accepted response, they really wanted the Billy Ray Cyrus hit.
Spoiler
Achy Breaky Heart I spent my time trying and failing to come up with the name of a country line dance, which is what the clue was requesting. Had they put the "this" in the appropriate place, I'd have picked up the $400, no trouble.
I'm pretty sure that's not a case of a misplaced "this" but of a contestant responding to the wrong thing and the judges being lenient because it contained the response they were looking for. Like if a clue said, "This English author is named in the title of an Edward Albee play," and a contestant responded, "What is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" I don't think they'd typically neg under those circumstances, unless there were some sort of verbiage in the category or clue that limited word or letter usage. The dance was called
Spoiler
the Achy Breaky, so they must have decided on the spot that "Achy Breaky Heart" was good enough. Plus there were probably plenty of people who called it "the Achy Breaky Heart dance" anyway.
edit: Here's a contemporary article to corroborate.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:08 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:03 pm Weird misuse of "this" on DJ27 DANCE $400: This country line dance was inspired by a 1992 Billy Ray Cyrus hit
Judging by the accepted response, they really wanted the Billy Ray Cyrus hit.
Spoiler
Achy Breaky Heart I spent my time trying and failing to come up with the name of a country line dance, which is what the clue was requesting. Had they put the "this" in the appropriate place, I'd have picked up the $400, no trouble.
I'm pretty sure that's not a case of a misplaced "this" but of a contestant responding to the wrong thing and the judges being lenient because it contained the response they were looking for. Like if a clue said, "This English author is named in the title of an Edward Albee play," and a contestant responded, "What is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" I don't think they'd typically neg under those circumstances, unless there were some sort of verbiage in the category or clue that limited word or letter usage. The dance was called
Spoiler
the Achy Breaky, so they must have decided on the spot that "Achy Breaky Heart" was good enough. Plus there were probably plenty of people who called it "the Achy Breaky Heart dance" anyway.
edit: Here's a contemporary article to corroborate.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I didn't realize the name had been attached to a specific version of the dance.

I do wonder about the Virginia Woolf example. It would be interesting to see how they handled that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pm I added 12/19/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6805
I was going to ask when the last time was that a contestant was described as a "housewife" (as Kay Hoey was in this game), but it has been as recently as 2016.
I think I have seen a few “stay-at-home moms (and dads)” in recent years, which is pretty much what a housewife is.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:11 pm I added 12/22/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6808

DOGS $400 - If I was on the portion of the staff that knows the clues ahead of time I would have taken all side bets on that clue going neg before (if at all) getting a correct response.

The FJ! clue gives me flashback to 2005 when I needed three tries to get in with the name for my only real buzzer frustration of the day.
I gave the obvious answer to J13 TREES $300 but I think there are at least three other possibilities. I wonder if they were prepared for them: Varieties of this fruit tree are grouped into freestone & clingstone
Spoiler
Peaches, but I believe also nectarines, plums, and apricots. Presumably the hybrids too, like pluots and apriums. Apria?
Another cautionary tale in the Know-Your-Presidents genre. Two misses and a head-shake for a TS on DJ11 POETRY $400: One of Longfellow's last poems was on the 1881 death of this U.S. president
Spoiler
Garfield. Should be easy pickings, especially since Garfield is one of those 20-year Tecumseh's Curse presidents who serves as a tentpole providing a good first approximation guess for presidents who fall in between those years. Remember, starting with William Henry Harrison (who defeated Tecumseh's forces at Tippecanoe) every president elected in a year divisible by 20 dies in office.

1840 - William Henry Harrison (natural causes after 30/31 days, depending how you count.)
1860 - Lincoln (shot in 1865 after reelection)
1880 - Garfield (shot 4 months after 1881 inauguration, died 2 1/2 months later)
1900 - William McKinley (re-elected in 1900, shot half year after second inauguration in 1901)
1920 - Harding (natural causes, 2 years 5 months in office)
1940 - FDR (natural causes after 3rd re-election in 1944)
1960 - JFK (shot 3 years after election)
1980 - Reagan (Shot just 2 months after inauguration. Wound much worse than Harding's. Modern medicine, much better. Modern medicine wins this round. Rumor begins that Reagan is the Beast of Revelation who famously received a seemingly fatal wound and recovered.)
2000 - George W. Bush - Demoralized by the Reagan event and uncertain who actually won the election, Tecumseh sits this one out.
2020 - TBD but both candidates are pretty old. Wouldn't surprise me if Tecumseh got back in the game for this one.

That list by the way helps keep track of 7 of the 8 presidents who have died in office. Who's missing?
Spoiler
Zachary Taylor, elected 1848, died of natural causes 1 year and 4 months after inauguration. Tecumseh presumably not involved. Either that or he started out thinking he could keep an every-8-years schedule and decided that was more than he wanted to take on.
Memorizing the VPs who succeeded each of the 8 is the next step.
Spoiler
Tyler, Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, Johnson, George H. W. Bush*
And this is a SENIORS tournament. They should remember!!! :lol:

The whole POETRY category was basic Jeopardy! stuff so I ran it. The contestants got 3/5 with one TS (including two negs) and DD stand and stare. Here's what the clues wanted:

This man "at the bat"
President who died in 1881
Bird in "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
Welsh poet. "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night"
"Old pond...a frog leaps in water's sound" is this kind of poem
Spoiler
Casey, Harding, albatross, Dylan Thomas, Haiku
I clammed on DJ16 TRANSPORTATION $400 because I couldn't think of anything both specific and generic enough to fit the wording: An overhead electrified cable called a catenary is used to power this type of vehicle
Spoiler
Streetcar. Uh huh. Sure. Except for the streetcars that AREN't powered by a catenary but by horse or steam or cable or gas or liquid fuel or battery or compressed air or hydrogen fuel cell or convicts. (These all exist or have existed.) So clearly they just want a type of vehicle that is SOMETIMES powered via catenary and they were prepared to accept tram or trolley or train or bus in addition to streetcar. :roll:
Another Jeopardy! basic for DJ18 TRANSPORTATION $800. Russian helicopter guy -
Spoiler
Sikorsky
I joined the two contestants who missed FJ in their incorrect guess. Even if the correct response had somehow come under consideration, I'd have stuck with my guess since I knew the connection to both places was solid.

Essentially the same clue was offered in the DJ round in this 2005 UTOC Round 1 game and Lara Robillard got it and went on to win:
DJ8 LIFE AFTER DEATH $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from CIA headquarters in Langley, VA.) This statue, a replica of the original at Yale, is of this man, the first American executed for spying for the U.S. I doubt I'd have gotten this one then or now, but the visual aid would have steered me away from my wrong guess in this FJ.
Spoiler
Pretty sure that's not George H. W. Bush! :lol:
On the other hand, I would have gotten the much easier (to me) clue in Mark Barrett's 2005 victory. I'm surprised there were not one but two negs before Mark set them straight:
DJ13 START SPREADIN' THE NOOSE $400: On Sept. 22, 1776, the morning after his capture by the British & with no trial, he gave the one life he had
Spoiler
Nathan Hale, in case you haven't been following along. Patrick Henry as a wrong guess was understandable. Easy to confuse the "Give me liberty or give me death" sentiment with Hale's. Benedict Arnold is a bit more of a head-scratcher and suggests Allison may not have fully thought through the clue before ringing in.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to jeopardyfan87 I added 3/2/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6818

Player pics of Sandy Taylor, Phil Marti and Michael Shutterly:
Spoiler
The editing was a little rough and a few clues got clipped, while the good news is jf87 plans to get them to me at some point.

Not a bad FJ! clue, but a sucky one after Michael fought hard to have the narrow lead for the FJ! round. Give Michael the solve and he's in the ToC and the UToC. Michael proved later with Regis just how much he knows.

Michael was done either way and be bet for the buck win.

The FJ! clue had me tossing a mental coin with the guesses that Sandy and Phil had. I not writing for archiving these old games, so not sure which one I would have guessed in debating size vs. situations after figuring out the right general areas.

I don't know if Sandy won a second game or not.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:35 pm Thanks to jeopardyfan87 I added 3/2/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6818

Not a bad FJ! clue, but a sucky one after Michael fought hard to have the narrow lead for the FJ! round. Give Michael the solve and he's in the ToC and the UToC. Michael proved later with Regis just how much he knows.
Or just make FJ a triple stumper, and he wins with $199; his earnings would still have been $2 under Ron Trigueiro's, but the extra win would have put him in the ToC over Ron. And five wins with $49,399 would have been enough for the UToC.

RHYME TIME $300 seems to be missing an apostrophe, and ENGLISH CITIES $600 has an i rendered as an exclamation mark.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:35 pm Thanks to jeopardyfan87 I added 3/2/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6818

Or just make FJ a triple stumper, and he wins with $199; his earnings would still have been $2 under Ron Trigueiro's, but the extra win would have put him in the ToC over Ron. And five wins with $49,399 would have been enough for the UToC.

RHYME TIME $300 seems to be missing an apostrophe, and ENGLISH CITIES $600 has an i rendered as an exclamation mark.
Ha, you're right. I never bothered to look at the math for a TS. :oops:

"Psychos" is how the clue was written and I added a note. Your mention helped me fix Bate's to Bates'. If that's the only i for ! then I'll take it as I caught some others for that particular quirk that came up with the OCR being able to partially read some of the clues.

Thanks for the helpful remarks. Hope we left something for opus. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:56 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:43 pm

Ha, you're right. I never bothered to look at the math for a TS. :oops:

"Psychos" is how the clue was written and I added a note. Your mention helped me fix Bate's to Bates'. If that's the only i for ! then I'll take it as I caught some others for that particular quirk that came up with the OCR being able to partially read some of the clues.

Thanks for the helpful remarks. Hope we left something for opus. :)
I was going to say that I hate trying to make a possessive out of something in quotation marks and acknowledge that it was plausible that that was how it was rendered in the clue.

If Michael had gotten that last FJ right, his total would have been $67,401, making his winnings the second highest at the time after Chuck Forrest (jumping over, among several others, John Ryan and Leah Greenwald, then #2 and #3 with $61,800 and $58,802 respectively).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to jeopardyfan87 I added 12/18/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6819

That completes Seniors 1995-B.

Player pics of Nola Wegman, Parma Holt and Ange Cardinali were posted recently.

I would take under 3 getting that FJ! clue right in S37. It's easy for those who are familiar with the song titles, possible for someone who senses the meaning of the second title, and good luck for those guessing blindly.

One of those QF games that produced 3 semifinalists, yet no finalists.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

No errata by the time I got around to this game. Good work, guys!

Did not run STATE CAPITALS. Blanked on the $500 N- capital. Didn't click to reveal the response until I had it, but that was long after Alex would've moved us on to the next clue. Got all the others, getting at least one immediately and stopping to figure out the other possibilities. The toughest was figuring out the fourth B- capital.
Spoiler
Boston!
So my whole life I've never actually eaten true cantaloupe. I feel cheated. Especially since I've simultaneously been robbed of so many opportunities to say things like
Spoiler
"This is some pretty good musk melon." It sounds so rugged and saucy, like I'm in a Coen Brothers movie.
RHYME TIME was just a disaster. 3 TS out of 5 for the contestants and I'd have been zero help at the fourth podium. I didn't even get the two the contestants got.

I think I'm out of luck on J27 SPORTS $300: At a rodeo, "dogging" is done to this animal, not a collie
Spoiler
Alex says they'd have accepted steer, bull, or cow. My guess was calf since that's what a dogie is in the "Git along little dogie" song. Google isn't helping me build a case for my response. Apparently the technically correct response is "steer" which I assume is why Alex initially negged "cow" (assuming I'm reading those asterisks correctly). I know it's silly, but I kind of wish we had some Russian poster who's an expert on rodeos (for some reason) and would lecture us about how "steer" is the ONLY correct response and there's no way that cow or even bull should have been accepted.
I knew the correct response to DJ1 BROADWAY LYRICS $600 was my very own name... so I negged with "Who is Opus!" Sometimes I forget that
DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVE A HEART CONDITION
I'm not really a penguin; I just play one on the Internet.
Any self-appointed judges should feel free to weigh in on my response to DJ17 MOUNTAINS $600: Hawaii's Mauna Kea is the world's tallest mountain, if you measure from this point
Spoiler
The sea floor is what they accepted. I said the "base". Had Alex hesitated, I'd have fumbled around and said something like "underwater" or "at the bottom of the ocean" which I think would have sealed the deal. Had he just said no, I'd have kept my fingers crossed for a reversal.

Michael's guess of "the center of the earth" makes some sense given that Mauna Kea is closer than Everest to the equator and might get a boost from our planet's midriff bulge. But it turns out that Mount Chimborazo in the Andes in Ecuador gets an even bigger boost and claims the prize. Now THAT'S a UTOC level fact if you have to name the mountain. I'd expect it to go TS in regular play as indeed it did in J25 FAR FROM $2000 in this game from June 12, 2019. But it could be worded to make it gettable as in DJ11 MOUNTAINS $2000 from this game from October 29, 2014. There they ask for Chimborazo's South American country while hinting it's on or near the equator. Those are the only two times in the archive that Chimborazo's claim to fame is referenced. My suggested clue for regular play: "Everest may be tallest, but Chimborazo on the equator is farthest from this point." It's easy enough to figure out on the fly while providing a fun fact for home viewers.
Rough FJ. I gave Phil's wrong response while considering Michael's wrong response and Sandy's correct one. Sandy needed that sole get. There was no other scenario (short of improbably small wagers by Phil and/or Michael) that would win her the game. She is one lucky woman. Good on her for betting to take advantage of that long shot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:16 pm Thanks to jeopardyfan87 I added 12/18/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6819

That completes Seniors 1995-B.

I would take under 3 getting that FJ! clue right in S37. It's easy for those who are familiar with the song titles, possible for someone who senses the meaning of the second title, and good luck for those guessing blindly.
No errata.

They kept going back to -OLOGIES even though the category was not kind to them. Three TS. I ran the category. Also ran MYTHOLOGY for a perfect 10 in categories with -OLOG-.

Got FJ without recognizing the song titles. Seemed like a good fit.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 pmAny self-appointed judges should feel free to weigh in on my response to DJ17 MOUNTAINS $600: Hawaii's Mauna Kea is the world's tallest mountain, if you measure from this point
Spoiler
The sea floor is what they accepted. I said the "base". Had Alex hesitated, I'd have fumbled around and said something like "underwater" or "at the bottom of the ocean" which I think would have sealed the deal. Had he just said no, I'd have kept my fingers crossed for a reversal.
My response here was exactly the same, including follow-up, although my follow-up was almost immediate. I imagine I would've talked over Alex's ruling with it.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I found the first 6 clues of Double J! from 9/3/96 on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=692hBGEDLU4
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:04 pm I found the first 6 clues of Double J! from 9/3/96 on YT:
Thanks, all done. The scores remain the same after the toggle fixes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Here's my old post about how those now filled clues couldnhave played:
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:59 pm Dang, almost perfect, since only the J! round of that game is currently archived.

Scores at the end of J! round:
Bernie: $3,100 Deb: $400 Ted: $2,100
entering clue 7:
Bernie: $3,700 Deb: $1,400 Ted: $2,300
Bernie's score is shown going from $3,100 to $3,700 as he calls GEMS for $800. U.S. PRESIDENTS and GEMS have already had their $200, $400, and $600 clues played. $1,800 from $2,400 worth of clues is accounted for in the players' scores. I humbly suggest that the clue selection went U.S. PRESIDENTS $200 and $400, with gets by a player who remained with the category, and then the $600 clue was a TS*, after which the switch to GEMS took place, with the $200 and $400 clues getting correct responses, followed by Bernie getting the $600. I'll let the archivist decide which $200 to give to Ted.

*If we're leaving it to one clue not going smoothly, there's also the possibility that either $600 was negged by one player and rebounded by another.
How it actually went: Deb went for GEMS $200, Ted got that and switched to PRESIDENTS $200, getting that and the $400 clue. Then Deb got PRESIDENTS $600 and switched back to GEMS, getting $400 and moving down to $600. Ted negged and Bernie rebounded, and that's where the previous video picked up.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:23 pm
kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:04 pm I found the first 6 clues of Double J! from 9/3/96 on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=692hBGEDLU4
Thanks, all done. The scores remain the same after the toggle fixes.
Your welcome
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Added Season 2 show #350, aired 1986-01-10. Interestingly, the next Monday's game was among the earliest entered into the Archive.

First challenger I believe is her.

Second challenger I believe is this guy.

Alex was a bit tongue-tied after the first break, calling the categories "colonies" and the round a "room". Then he tried out some silly singing on GOLDEN OLDIES $300 and $400. He pronounced the "T-H" in "Othello" two different ways in SHAKESPEAREAN TRIVIA $800 and $1000. At the close of the round he promised to fix his mouth and his brain before DJ!

Back then they liked the Oxford comma, it seems. Underlining alert, ’60s CINEMA $600 (even though I can't find any underlining in any of the print marketing materials for the movie).

Alex had at memory-command recent champion Chuck Forrest's name, law school, and 5-day winnings to the dollar for law student David's interview. In Lynne's interview, she indicated she was born in and lived in Tokyo until age 5, and used to be bilingual but lost it. In the interview for Steve (or "Steven", as Alex invariably called him), he said he would give his winnings to his mother to pay his bills that he runs up on her.

I think COLORS $500 wouldn't be in the bottom row today, nor would Alex have given a BMS prompt on David's initial response.

Abbreviated versions of the GOLDEN OLDIES clues appeared in the 25th Anniversary game for NES.

All the Double Double wagers were fearful. The champ flamed out on the third response of a three-response DD after being given positive signals by Alex on the first two.

The Final is among those not in the Resource. Lucky for him, David's wrong response didn't matter, so he got to enjoy a Palm Springs vacation, something I would not take on this particular date.

Incredible footage of the action in ANIMALS $400:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

David Green gets the relevant clue in the COLORS category.

I got "What is Nippon?" for DOUBLE "P"s for $1000. I'm guessing that wouldn't fly.

I suspect the airdate wasn't actually a Saturday.