Season 37 changes and predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Season 37 changes and predictions

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

We look back at Season 36; and it has been pretty dismal, especially since it ended early because taping was suspended when COVID-19 hit. However, there have been a few moments worth remembering, but not to the extent that we saw in Season 35. Obviously, the most memorable moment from S36 was James winning the ToC and prevailing over Emma. Second most memorable would be Jason Zuffranieri (the carryover champion from Season 35) winning 19 games. And then we had three 8-time female champions in Jennifer Quail, KAren Farrell, and MacKenzie Jones. But other than that, Season 36 was pretty much meh.

But now we're going to look ahead to Season 37 now that taping new episodes has resumed. And here's what we know so far:

• Mike Richards is the show's new executive producer, taking over for Harry Friedman
• Zach Newkirk is the carry over champion from Season 36
• The globe logo makes another comeback but this time looking more like it did in the 90s except with a more modern touch
• The set is modified to accomodate social distancing, but most likely it's not a completely new set. Rather, it's a few modifications to the current set, kind of like in 2006 when the Ken Jennings set underwent modifications to accomodate the transition to HD.
MarkBarrett

Re: Season 37 changes and predictions

Post by MarkBarrett »

My predictions:

A lot of people don't see J! on 11/3/20.

More clues read by local news anchors

No Kids Week
goongas

Post by goongas »

Zach Newkirk is the carry over champion from Season 36
Zach will not initially appear as champion due to the COVID-19 restrictions on out of the area contestants.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Season 36 also featured the GOAT matches. While they weren’t part of the regular season, they did air alongside the regular games and were rerun during the shutdown.

The places you go to see games that you miss on local TV will be quite popular on November 3. At least the show airs at 3:30 in my market.

Not a prediction, but a wish that they air more “from the vault” episodes during the next offseason.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

goongas wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:46 am
Zach Newkirk is the carry over champion from Season 36
Zach will not initially appear as champion due to the COVID-19 restrictions on out of the area contestants.
That's not confirmed yet. OntarioQuizzer posted on The Jeopardy! Fan over a month ago that this is unknown.
https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/07/jeop ... ction.html
These are two instances pre-COVID where the returning champion was not able to return. Both resumed their run eventually:
Priscilla Ball: Won on January 16, 2009, but did not return for the next tape day because of illness. She reappeared on April 9 and 10, 2009.
Claudia Corriere: Won on December 17 and 18, 2015, but the next tape day was delayed because Alex had knee surgery. Claudia could not make it to the next taping day because of a job. She returned on January 18, 2016 for the most recent triple zero game.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:18 pm Season 36 also featured the GOAT matches. While they weren’t part of the regular season, they did air alongside the regular games and were rerun during the shutdown.

The places you go to see games that you miss on local TV will be quite popular on November 3. At least the show airs at 3:30 in my market.

Not a prediction, but a wish that they air more “from the vault” episodes during the next offseason.
Why do they even produce a show for that day, knowing its election day? You'd think they'd learn this by now
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

hdayejr wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:18 pm Season 36 also featured the GOAT matches. While they weren’t part of the regular season, they did air alongside the regular games and were rerun during the shutdown.

Why do they even produce a show for that day, knowing its election day? You'd think they'd learn this by now
Different time zones - J! is on at 10:30 ET in the morning somewhere IIRC. They COULD do a 1 episode rerun that day for areas that don't preempt J!, but it would be a little weird for viewers. It's probably a contractual thing too - J! has to provide so many new episodes per season to each affiliate who signs on.

Plus J! is a bit of a well-oiled machine at this point - 5 episodes on Tuesday, 5 on Wednesday, shower, rinse, repeat. Removing an episode wastes resources. Stations that preempt J! can either shift the episodes forward a day and have Friday's episode air sometime on the weekend, or they can air it at 2 in the morning. Some stations will even offer it to a sister station or a substation - Boston's WBZ (CBS) frequently dumps shows to WSBK (a myTV network) when there are preemptions.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Different time zones - J! is on at 10:30 ET in the morning somewhere IIRC.
Yes, WAKA Montgomery airs Jeopardy! at 10:30 AM Eastern (9:30 there). Back on topic, my prediction is that only the opening graphics change.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

In my opinion in fast time (winter or spring) local version "Jeopardy!" from Poland (Va Banque) use new graphics in opening.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Spoiler
Here's the redesigned set for this coming season. Like I predicted it's not an entirely new set like we saw 7 years ago, but it's undergone a few cosmetic changes other than the contestant lecterns being spaced farther apart than in previous seasons. https://media.wtsp.com/assets/WTSP/imag ... 0x1080.jpg
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Yes, WAKA Montgomery airs Jeopardy! at 10:30 AM Eastern (9:30 there). Back on topic, my prediction is that only the opening graphics change.
Effective when the new season starts, Jeopardy! moves to 4:30 pm CT in Montgomery. That means that "first-in-the-nation" will fall to a trio of ABC stations, all airing at 11:00 am CT: KLTV (Tyler, TX); WBBJ (Jackson, TN); and WTOK (Meridian, MS).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mfc248 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:32 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Effective when the new season starts, Jeopardy! moves to 4:30 pm CT in Montgomery. That means that "first-in-the-nation" will fall to a trio of ABC stations, all airing at 11:00 am CT: KLTV (Tyler, TX); WBBJ (Jackson, TN); and WTOK (Meridian, MS).
The news sucks although I'm surprised it took this long for the move to happen to eliminate that early airing. There goes the early daily archiving and good insurance against later-in-the-day political preemptions & interruptions that happened a lot last season.

A lot of people got spoiled (in a good way--not unwanted results) by the WAKA effect across multiple sites. Do I dare check on the noon airings in Central time holding serve?
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Forget the spoiler I made, as someone posted a photo of the modified set on another thread. Anyways, another change I found out about is Ken Jennings will join the show as a consulting producer and will make his own video clues.

Due to Mike Richards replacing Harry Friedman as the executive producer as well as the set changes, I actually have a pretty good feeling the GOAT theme music will get carried over to the regular series, replacing the current music package which has been in use for almost 12 years.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:27 pm Due to Mike Richards replacing Harry Friedman as the executive producer as well as the set changes, I actually have a pretty good feeling the GOAT theme music will get carried over to the regular series, replacing the current music package which has been in use for almost 12 years.
That music sounded like Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade Salutes Jeopardy! CheeZy with a capital Z. I could learn to like it though, unlike the Droopy Dawg category reveal music from Seasons 26 to 32.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:27 pm Anyways, another change I found out about is Ken Jennings will join the show as a consulting producer and will make his own video clues.
This bit of news has got me thinking.

While I want to see Alex continue as host for as long as he is able, the reality is that the end of his tenure is on the horizon. I’m sure TPTB are well aware of this, and are making plans for the show to survive and thrive once that sad day arrives.

I’m sure you can see where I’m going here. I can think of an awful lot of potential replacements who would be worse than Ken. The list of better candidates is much shorter. Getting Ken involved with production, particularly the making of video clues, could be a step in that direction. That would give everyone a chance to gauge his on camera presence in a role other than contestant.

Another thing I might watch for is his appearance in the host role for the mock games in the contestant selection or pre-taping process. The contestants might not be the only ones practicing.

Another argument in favor of Ken might be his availability for multiple seasons. I’m sure one thing TPTB want to avoid is a string of one or two season hosts. They probably want the next host to stay for 20 or 30 years. A bunch of revolving door hosts would be very bad for the show. That alone rules out a lot of well known tv hosts.

Anyway, just a bit of rambling thoughts. I don’t think I’m crazy here. But I certainly could be wrong.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ken is 46. Alex was 44 when he hosted his first episode.

I agree about having someone commit long term. I thought TPIR bringing Drew Carey on was an odd choice, but he has been there 13 years now.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:56 am Ken is 46. Alex was 44 when he hosted his first episode.

I agree about having someone commit long term. I thought TPIR bringing Drew Carey on was an odd choice, but he has been there 13 years now.
I think they need a 5-season host for a transition; then a potential 30-year host. Drew has been there 13 years, and there's still plenty of screaming he's no Bob Barker. It would also help the show ease into any other changes they might be thinking of making.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I thought something like this was going to happen when Alex made the ominous announcement during the goat that those three contestants would never play together again.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:56 am Ken is 46. Alex was 44 when he hosted his first episode.

I think they need a 5-season host for a transition; then a potential 30-year host. Drew has been there 13 years, and there's still plenty of screaming he's no Bob Barker. It would also help the show ease into any other changes they might be thinking of making.
Here's my thing regarding TPIR, what those same people that are complaining about Carey not being like Barker don't understand is that as legendary as Bob Barker his shoes for someone to fill in when Bob retired was humongous. I think Carey has done a great job at hosting the show and even Barker himself said in an interview before he retired when he was asked about what advice he would give to the new host he simply said something to the effect of, "Just be yourself. Don't try to copy off of my style." He's right.

And this very same principle should be applied to Jeopardy! as well for Ken Jennings (if he is confirmed to be Alex's replacement) Alex's shoes is going to be big to fill and I think Ken Jennings should just be exactly who Ken Jennings is. Don't copy off of Alex's style and everything else. Just be yourself.

Unfortunately, whoever ultimately replaces Alex are going to be seeing complaints about not being like Trebek in his/her own presentation style just like the complaints Carey has gotten for 13 years over not being like Barker granted we are talking about two very different shows here, my point is still valid.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davopardy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:54 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 am

Here's my thing regarding TPIR, what those same people that are complaining about Carey not being like Barker don't understand is that as legendary as Bob Barker his shoes for someone to fill in when Bob retired was humongous. I think Carey has done a great job at hosting the show and even Barker himself said in an interview before he retired when he was asked about what advice he would give to the new host he simply said something to the effect of, "Just be yourself. Don't try to copy off of my style." He's right.

And this very same principle should be applied to Jeopardy! as well for Ken Jennings (if he is confirmed to be Alex's replacement) Alex's shoes is going to be big to fill and I think Ken Jennings should just be exactly who Ken Jennings is. Don't copy off of Alex's style and everything else. Just be yourself.

Unfortunately, whoever ultimately replaces Alex are going to be seeing complaints about not being like Trebek in his/her own presentation style just like the complaints Carey has gotten for 13 years over not being like Barker granted we are talking about two very different shows here, my point is still valid.
Ahh, the battles of legend. Kirk vs Picard. Joel vs Mike. Bob vs Drew. Alex vs TBD.
There are never winners, though. Best never to start if possible.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)