Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pm
cf1140 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 pm SHAKESPEARE'S TRAJEDIES

This play has multiple scenes set in Wales

Though these may be off because I didn't triple check any research
Spoiler
Richard II and at least one, possibly two, of the Henry IV plays also have several scenes in Wales.
Spoiler
Good catch. The category limits us to TRAJEDIES, so we can't go with one of the Histories. But those would definitely be attractors or distractors to those who knew that detail.

Another attractor/distractor to anyone who knows almost nothing about Cymbeline may be King Lear. That's the one that got me, anyway. Lear is a Welsh name. It's not clear where the play takes place but I think it's probably the West Midlands of England rather than Wales. (Cair Lerion is the Old Welsh name for Leicester, a West Midlands city, because some legends say it was founded by Lear.) But it's not like the setting is described as DEFINITELY NOT WALES. So with 30 seconds to make a guess, Lear seemed at least close.
Spoiler
Cymbeline is often said not to be a tragedy (is there a point to the misspelling?) and Richard II is usually called one.
Spoiler
Both good points. I just discovered the Wikipedia entry for Cymbeline states, "Although listed as a tragedy in the First Folio, modern critics often classify Cymbeline as a romance or even a comedy." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbeline)

And I'm sure that, if he'd been able to watch the series, Richard II would have probably considered the Henriad to be pretty tragic.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:42 pm
davey wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pm
cf1140 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 pm SHAKESPEARE'S TRAJEDIES

This play has multiple scenes set in Wales

Though these may be off because I didn't triple check any research
Spoiler
Richard II and at least one, possibly two, of the Henry IV plays also have several scenes in Wales.
Spoiler
Good catch. The category limits us to TRAJEDIES, so we can't go with one of the Histories. But those would definitely be attractors or distractors to those who knew that detail.

Another attractor/distractor to anyone who knows almost nothing about Cymbeline may be King Lear. That's the one that got me, anyway. Lear is a Welsh name. It's not clear where the play takes place but I think it's probably the West Midlands of England rather than Wales. (Cair Lerion is the Old Welsh name for Leicester, a West Midlands city, because some legends say it was founded by Lear.) But it's not like the setting is described as DEFINITELY NOT WALES. So with 30 seconds to make a guess, Lear seemed at least close.
Spoiler
Cymbeline is often said not to be a tragedy (is there a point to the misspelling?) and Richard II is usually called one.
Spoiler
Both good points. I just discovered the Wikipedia entry for Cymbeline states, "Although listed as a tragedy in the First Folio, modern critics often classify Cymbeline as a romance or even a comedy." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbeline)

And I'm sure that, if he'd been able to watch the series, Richard II would have probably considered the Henriad to be pretty tragic.
It's discussions like this that make me appreciate how relatively rare it is for us to have these sorts of nitpicky complaints about the clues that make it to air. I know it seems like we point out problematic clues ALL THE TIME. But given the volume of clues day after day, the writers almost always get it right. So kudos to them.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

THE OSCARS

One of two 11-letter words to appear in titles of Best Picture winners.
Spoiler
What are Millionaire and Shakespeare?
mujason

Post by mujason »

HISTORY AND COLLEGE SPORTS

These two states joined the Confederacy but have no current members in the Southeastern Conference.
Spoiler
Virginia and North Carolina
-Jason
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

mujason wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:07 pm HISTORY AND COLLEGE SPORTS

These two states joined the Confederacy but have no current members in the Southeastern Conference.
Spoiler
Virginia and North Carolina
Spoiler
I said Texas with a high degree of confidence, didn't realize aTm was in the SEC now. So much movement between conferences these days, it's impossible to keep up!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

NAMES

It is the 2nd most common family name in China and the 22nd most common surname in the US.
Spoiler
What is Lee? (also romanized as Li from the Chinese)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MERGERS

Organizations sharing this three-letter acronym that were founded in 1886 and 1959 underwent mergers in 1955 and 1970, respectively
Spoiler
What is AFL? (American Federation of Labor, American Football League)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

FOOTBALL

For the first time since Madden NFL 17 this quarterback will be included in the Madden NFL 21 version and his TD celebration will be the Black Power fist.

Correct response:
Spoiler
Colin Kaepernick
My coin landed here instead of current events.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 pm FOOTBALL

For the first time since Madden NFL 17 this quarterback will be included in the Madden NFL 21 version and his TD celebration will be the Black Power fist.

Correct response:
Spoiler
Colin Kaepernick
My coin landed here instead of current events.
I'll be curious to see what they do in 2024, as they have already used Madden NFL 25 for the 25th anniversary edition.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

COMPOSERS

Composer of Mississippi Suite, Metropolis Suite, and Niagara Falls Suite
Spoiler
Who was Ferde Grofé?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:26 am COMPOSERS

Spoiler
Who was Ferde Grofé?
I liked this one. My thought process was: "Well, I'm not familiar with these pieces, but they're the kind of things that [correct response] would write."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can't say I've ever heard of the guy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:52 pm Can't say I've ever heard of the guy.
He's best known for his "Grand Canyon Suite" (which is why I got it right).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:53 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:52 pm Can't say I've ever heard of the guy.
He's best known for his "Grand Canyon Suite" (which is why I got it right).
That I do know. Just wasn't aware of who did it. Thanks!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:56 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:26 am COMPOSERS

Spoiler
Who was Ferde Grofé?
I liked this one. My thought process was: "Well, I'm not familiar with these pieces, but they're the kind of things that [correct response] would write."
I remembered considering the purchase of this LP back in 1981--for the other piece listed, of course. I hadn't heard of the Mississippi Suite before and don't know if I've heard of it since. But this was enough:
Spoiler
That's a little gussied up from the cover I recall. I don't think the Great Performances sub-label originally had pictures. It was all text. But that's the correct old-timey typeface on depressing medium beige. I only bought a few of those--maybe only one--because it felt as though the performance would have to be spectacular to overcome the presentation. The only one I recall owning was George Szell conducting the Moldau, some Bartered Bride dances and Dvorak's Carnival Overture and four of his Slavonic Dances. It was a good record, but depressing to look at. With other LPs, I'd stand the cover up against the stereo so it was visible while the music played. That was part of the aesthetic package. With this one, I'd bury the cover back in the stack so I didn't have to look at it.

Anyway, even though I didn't purchase the LP with the Mississippi Suite, I always remembered the title and was thus able to name two pieces by the composer in question where most Classical geeks could only name one.

I ended up later buying a different version of the famous suite--if I recall, an Angel LP with Maurice Abravanel conducting the Utah Symphony. But it didn't have Mississippi as filler. Instead it had Copland's El Salon México, a fine rowdy piece that I enjoyed quite a bit.

I am now listening, for the first time ever, to the Mississippi Suite. YouTube has the very version I rejected 39 years ago. The suite has its charms, but it definitely seems like background music.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

BOTH NAMES, PLEASE

This Belgian man first came to the isolated settlement of Kalaupapa in 1873, the same year that this Norwegian physician made a related discovery
Spoiler
Who are Father Damien and (Gerhard Armauer) Hansen?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

NFL GEOGRAPHY

The most populous state that is home to only one NFL team
Spoiler
What is New York? (Bills only. Jets/Giants play in NJ)
Harder:

The most populous state that is not home to any NFL team
Spoiler
What is Virginia?
Golf

Post by Golf »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:50 pm NFL GEOGRAPHY
Harder:

The most populous state that is not home to any NFL team
Spoiler
What is Virginia?
Spoiler
The Washington Football Team has it’s headquarters (and practice facility) in Virginia.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:50 pm NFL GEOGRAPHY

The most populous state that is home to only one NFL team
Spoiler
What is New York? (Bills only. Jets/Giants play in NJ)
Come on, you know the show would never try to get away with a stunt like that. I did think about your response, but only as a "gotcha" kind of joke. "Home" is not a term of art in this context where everyone agrees it always means "wherever the team is physically when playing games designated as 'home' games." It's at least arguable that the state in the team's name is the one they consider "home". In my opinion, the latter definition is the more usual one. That's why this clue works in an irritating bar-bet-guaranteed-to-start-a-fight way.

And that's why there's no way you'd ever see it in this form as an FJ. If you did, two things would immediately happen:

1. The Jets and the Giants would immediately issue press releases or tweets or whatever saying that they consider both states to be "home".

2.The TwitterFacebookverse would descend in righteous (and in this case correct) fury, pointing out that it's not up to some snot-nosed Jeopardy! writer to determine that the word "New York" in the names of those teams has no meaning.

If the clue could be re-worded to make it clear we're talking about the states where the teams play (as opposed to the state they call home) it might work.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think it would have been a fine FJ for Sports Jeopardy.