Season 37 changes and predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Season 37 changes and predictions

Post by davopardy »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:57 pm
davopardy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:54 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:56 am Ken is 46. Alex was 44 when he hosted his first episode.

I agree about having someone commit long term. I thought TPIR bringing Drew Carey on was an odd choice, but he has been there 13 years now.
I think they need a 5-season host for a transition; then a potential 30-year host. Drew has been there 13 years, and there's still plenty of screaming he's no Bob Barker. It would also help the show ease into any other changes they might be thinking of making.
Here's my thing regarding TPIR, what those same people that are complaining about Carey not being like Barker don't understand is that as legendary as Bob Barker his shoes for someone to fill in when Bob retired was humongous. I think Carey has done a great job at hosting the show and even Barker himself said in an interview before he retired when he was asked about what advice he would give to the new host he simply said something to the effect of, "Just be yourself. Don't try to copy off of my style." He's right.

And this very same principle should be applied to Jeopardy! as well for Ken Jennings (if he is confirmed to be Alex's replacement) Alex's shoes is going to be big to fill and I think Ken Jennings should just be exactly who Ken Jennings is. Don't copy off of Alex's style and everything else. Just be yourself.

Unfortunately, whoever ultimately replaces Alex are going to be seeing complaints about not being like Trebek in his/her own presentation style just like the complaints Carey has gotten for 13 years over not being like Barker granted we are talking about two very different shows here, my point is still valid.
Ahh, the battles of legend. Kirk vs Picard. Joel vs Mike. Bob vs Drew. Alex vs TBD.
There are never winners, though. Best never to start if possible.
That's the whole point, you're never going to find a winner in any of these battles because the legends will win the battle most of the time.

Problem is the internet has allowed people to spew out opinions like that when it comes to game show hosts.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and in particular, in the popularity and longevity of the entertainment property affected by the substitution. Of the examples cited, the follow-ups were equally as successful and enjoyed, or nearly so, if not moreso.

Despite its long success, Jeopardy! is probably more fragile and vulnerable than most like to admit. The format of the show means very little if a personable and full-throated host is not on stage to read clues accurately and with panache, to interact amiably with contestants, and to charm the home audience. We should not discount the possibility that a poor choice of host could send the show the way of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: slow deterioration and cancelation.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:56 am Ken is 46. Alex was 44 when he hosted his first episode.

I agree about having someone commit long term. I thought TPIR bringing Drew Carey on was an odd choice, but he has been there 13 years now.
I think they need a 5-season host for a transition; then a potential 30-year host. Drew has been there 13 years, and there's still plenty of screaming he's no Bob Barker. It would also help the show ease into any other changes they might be thinking of making.
Here's my thing regarding TPIR, what those same people that are complaining about Carey not being like Barker don't understand is that as legendary as Bob Barker his shoes for someone to fill in when Bob retired was humongous. I think Carey has done a great job at hosting the show and even Barker himself said in an interview before he retired when he was asked about what advice he would give to the new host he simply said something to the effect of, "Just be yourself. Don't try to copy off of my style." He's right.

And this very same principle should be applied to Jeopardy! as well for Ken Jennings (if he is confirmed to be Alex's replacement) Alex's shoes is going to be big to fill and I think Ken Jennings should just be exactly who Ken Jennings is. Don't copy off of Alex's style and everything else. Just be yourself.

Unfortunately, whoever ultimately replaces Alex are going to be seeing complaints about not being like Trebek in his/her own presentation style just like the complaints Carey has gotten for 13 years over not being like Barker granted we are talking about two very different shows here, my point is still valid.
Speaking as someone who is the recapper for a certain fansite of The Price is Right that was well known for that attitude at one time, the attitude has shifted towards Drew's favour in the last few years. I think people are starting to be able to accept Drew on a more regular basis than they once were. Yes, there's still the stubborn people who have their biases. I personally enjoy Drew more than Bob. Drew has always come off as someone who is genuine and cares about everything and everyone. Bob Barker was well, Bob Barker.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

The role of a game show host is a pretty darn good gig. You are paid well, you can tape a bunch of shows at once, and it doesn’t keep you from other projects if you are so inclined.
goongas

Post by goongas »

yclept wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:08 am

The role of a game show host is a pretty darn good gig. You are paid well, you can tape a bunch of shows at once, and it doesn’t keep you from other projects if you are so inclined.
But most of the time, it is a fleeting job. Only a few shows have longevity. I read the new biography of Alex (not the autobiography). He never used to turn down work because he knew how fleeting the entertainment/broadcasting industry is. His panache and gravitas will be hard to replace.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Exactly. How many people made a career of just hosting one show? Even Alex had a number of hits and misses before striking gold with Jeopardy. He even had a couple side gigs in the early years.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 am

Speaking as someone who is the recapper for a certain fansite of The Price is Right that was well known for that attitude at one time, the attitude has shifted towards Drew's favour in the last few years. I think people are starting to be able to accept Drew on a more regular basis than they once were. Yes, there's still the stubborn people who have their biases. I personally enjoy Drew more than Bob. Drew has always come off as someone who is genuine and cares about everything and everyone. Bob Barker was well, Bob Barker.
I've noticed it as well with Drew.

I have a feeling that even long after Alex retires there will be stubborn people that will probably still prefer Alex as host over Ken (or whoever is Trebek's eventual replacement)

And besides how long did for original Jeopardy! fans (Flemming era) to accept Alex on a regular basis? If I recall, it took them a long time for them to do so (similar in timeframe its taken from Bob's retirement from Price to now with Drew as host)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I don't use Twitter much, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen any evidence of Ken toning things down lately there. Seems like Jeopardy! would probably prefer he not be too controversial on social media.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Confirming Zach Newkirk will not defend his title on Monday: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/09/seas ... er-14.html
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

davopardy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm
And besides how long did for original Jeopardy! fans (Fleming era) to accept Alex on a regular basis? If I recall, it took them a long time for them to do so (similar in timeframe its taken from Bob's retirement from Price to now with Drew as host)
I don't know about that. You're talking about basically 10 years from when daytime Jeopardy ended until the syndicated version with AT started. That's a lot of memory to expect from TV Watchers. I don't remember anybody complaining that Alex wasn't Fleming, and Alex was already a familiar personality for having done game shows for over 10 years in the United States.

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:14 pm Exactly. How many people made a career of just hosting one show? Even Alex had a number of hits and misses before striking gold with Jeopardy. He even had a couple side gigs in the early years.

Allan Funt?

Allen Ludden?

Pat Sajak?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:56 pm Confirming Zach Newkirk will not defend his title on Monday: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/09/seas ... er-14.html
"Begin" not "being" in the last bullet point.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:56 pm I don't use Twitter much, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen any evidence of Ken toning things down lately there. Seems like Jeopardy! would probably prefer he not be too controversial on social media.
You tell me if this counts as "toning things down."

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:27 pmI don't remember anybody complaining that Alex wasn't Fleming
You're joking. There are still people who complain Alex isn't Fleming.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:41 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:27 pmI don't remember anybody complaining that Alex wasn't Fleming
Including one who expresses it in their screen name.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I always thought that user was just a fan of Wide World of Sports announcer Bill Flemming. Or perhaps Batboy: The Musical playwright and filmmaker Brian Flemming.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

trainman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:56 pm I don't use Twitter much, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen any evidence of Ken toning things down lately there. Seems like Jeopardy! would probably prefer he not be too controversial on social media.
You tell me if this counts as "toning things down."

He's not wrong.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:41 pm
We can thank the internet for the continuous complaints about Alex isn't Fleming.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Now that the globe intro made a comeback, I wonder if Mike Richards will revive some of these other Jeopardy! traditions that were part of the show during the 80s and 90s and were retired from Season 14 onward:
  • The set background changing its color to red for Double Jeopardy! and Final Jeopardy! but changing back to blue at the conclusion of an episode.
  • The dollar figures popping in at the start of the Double Jeopardy! round but with the current loading pattern and sound effect
  • The laser whoosh sound effect that was used at the top of the show from Seasons 1 – 13* and again from Seasons 18 – 24.
Don't get me wrong, some of the changes that Harry Friedman made to Jeopardy! I actually liked; such as the addition of the Clue Crew; doubling the clue values to their present amounts; and especially lifting the 5-day limit for returning champions, which paved way for super-champions (most notably Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer). But the aforementioned elements, some of us Jeopardy! fans miss and wish can be brought back sometime.

*The whoosh sound was removed from the intro when the sushi bar set was put into use two months into S13.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Jeopardy confirmed Zach's absence by posting a YouTube video of his last win tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Wo4iXZCL8

They say
He'll return to Jeopardy! later in the new season when it's safe to travel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Given all of the extra space afforded by HDTV, I wish they'd keep the scores on the screen in a corner.