2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:50 pm Tom Hanks movie: Greyhound - adaptation of C.S. Forester's The Good Shepherd
Not to be confused with The Good Shepherd from 14 years ago starring De Niro, Damon, and Jolie( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343737/ )
Explains why they couldn't use the title
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I don’t foresee this being J! Fodder, but Thursday, September 10, 2020, marked the first time ever that the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, and WNBA all played on the same day.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

A minor point that I think is neat but probably doesn't rise to the level of the other thread: Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor won an Emmy this year for their score for HBO's Watchmen. This puts both of them at 3/4 of an EGOT, each being a Tony award away from completing the four-award set. Dare we hope for a Nine Inch Nails jukebox musical?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:31 pm A minor point that I think is neat but probably doesn't rise to the level of the other thread: Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor won an Emmy this year for their score for HBO's Watchmen. This puts both of them at 3/4 of an EGOT, each being a Tony award away from completing the four-award set. Dare we hope for a Nine Inch Nails jukebox musical?
Gone Girl: The Musical!

From the same Emmy awards,
Laurence Fishburne and Jasmine Cephas Jones [won] Best Actor (and Best Actress) In A Short Form Comedy Or Drama Series, respectively, for their work on #FreeRayshawn
which is a Quibi show.

We now live in a world where Quibi is legitimate trivia fodder.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:51 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm Phosphine has been found in the atmosphere of Venus which might be a signature of potential life as, on Earth, it only comes from biological sources.
https://gizmodo.com/scientists-detect-a ... 1845051001
I've heard that (*koff koff*) penguin droppings are especially high in phosphine.
Stop being ridiculous. Nothing could survive on Venus.
But it's not -on- Venus, it's -above- Venus
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm Phosphine has been found in the atmosphere of Venus which might be a signature of potential life as, on Earth, it only comes from biological sources.
I've heard that (*koff koff*) penguin droppings are especially high in phosphine.
Well, how's a penguin gonna get way up there, then?

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:And a study into the discovery of a new condition, Misophonia: "the distress at hearing other people make chewing sounds"
Podcast hosts love to invoke misophonia when talking about the complaints they get (or potential complaints they might get) about audible chewing sounds during their shows.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:42 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 pm
Well, how's a penguin gonna get way up there, then?
Spoiler
Because the atmosphere is thick enough that it's just like swimming. That would slow a normal bird down, but not us. We zip right through it. It's a Penguin Paradise I tell you!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Current Events thread can help with J! and with an even faster turnaround the Slate News Quiz as material from the phosphine and QEII posts came up today. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... nalds.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 am The Current Events thread can help with J! and with an even faster turnaround the Slate News Quiz as material from the phosphine and QEII posts came up today. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... nalds.html
Their employee beat me this week, which happens very infrequently. But I still beat the average.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:36 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 am The Current Events thread can help with J! and with an even faster turnaround the Slate News Quiz as material from the phosphine and QEII posts came up today. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... nalds.html
Their employee beat me this week, which happens very infrequently. But I still beat the average.
She beat me 419-418. So close ...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Rumors flying Tom Hardy will be the next James Bond.

Unlike previous rumors in recent years, this one seems more likely to happen.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Emmys were okay to watch while always behind the live showing to allow for necessary fast forwarding. When letting the recording get ahead I managed to see both the Lakers buzzer beater by Anthony Davis and Cam Newton (now QBing the Patriots) not be Tom Brady.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We tried the first four or five episodes of Schitt's Creek, couldn't stand it, and gave up on it. I don't get it either.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Did I notice that no network show won in any category? Is this the first year that's happened?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:37 am Did I notice that no network show won in any category? Is this the first year that's happened?
This was the first year that no network show won an award on the main telecast, but only because fewer awards were given out there this year. SNL won the "best variety sketch series" award that usually is given out on the main show, but this year that one was shunted to the "Creative Arts Emmys" where most of the technical awards, plus stuff like the guest actors and animated and children's programming, are handed out.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:05 am We tried the first four or five episodes of Schitt's Creek, couldn't stand it, and gave up on it. I don't get it either.
I have not watched it myself, but I have heard from more than one person that it's one of those shows (like Parks & Recreation or the American Office) where the show doesn't really start to get good until season 2.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A quote from the Titans story that Bamaman shared in the main thread: "The Minnesota Vikings said in a statement that the team had not received any positive results as of Tuesday morning."

The Vikings have not had any positive results the whole shot season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm The Vikings have not had any positive results the whole shot season.
As a Falcons fan, I feel your pain.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Donald Trump has tested positive for COVID-19.
Douglas Squasoni