Glenn Kagan Sues Sony For Age Discrimination

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Glenn Kagan Sues Sony For Age Discrimination

Post by SwanShadow »

Didn't see this posted here anywhere, so I'll just leave this here.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-lab ... ch&index=0
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Glenn Kagan Sues Sony For Age Discrimination

Post by MattKnowles »

Anybody know who is in charge of auditions now? And their favorite candy or flowers?

Best wishes to all parties involved. I like Jeopardy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Aggghhh...I hate this crap. If you treat people right when you terminate them, they will never sue you.

That said, Glenn always struck me as one of the good guys. He didn't treat contestants like meat. I also like Rocky, so...not sure what to think. But when someone has worked for you for three decades or more you don't just toss them out with the trash.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Glenn ran my Chicago audition session, and he represented the show extremely well at that stage of the game and then later on at the studio. He was the first staffer to welcome the fresh meat onto the lot, and his warmth and professionalism helped break the ice and set the tone for the day. He clearly enjoyed his job and was proud to work on the show, so I'm very sorry to hear about this.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

squarekara wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 pm Glenn ran my Chicago audition session, and he represented the show extremely well at that stage of the game and then later on at the studio. He was the first staffer to welcome the fresh meat onto the lot, and his warmth and professionalism helped break the ice and set the tone for the day. He clearly enjoyed his job and was proud to work on the show, so I'm very sorry to hear about this.
Ran my audition this year back in March even.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There is an outpouring of support for Glenn in other corners of social media as well. Glenn is someone who devoted his life to the show and has been, for contestants, a face of the show for nearly as long as Alex himself. It goes without saying that my own experiences with Glenn were extremely positive.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Glenn ran my audition last year too. This is a shame. Seemed like a very nice guy, and we had a bit of banter about his dad having also been a dentist and how despite him hating dentists he at least didn't hate his dad, or something like that :D
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Both at the audition and on the show, Glenn helped to build my confidence and maintain my energy. Now that both he and Maggie are gone, I wonder if players get the same friendly, helpful vibe from the newer contestant coordinators.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

pinkfreud wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm Both at the audition and on the show, Glenn helped to build my confidence and maintain my energy. Now that both he and Maggie are gone, I wonder if players get the same friendly, helpful vibe from the newer contestant coordinators.
Me too. All the staff were great, but Glenn and Maggie were beyond dynamic and really fostered the camaraderie. Even my mom has a story about how Glenn cracked her up as they waited around together.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Glenn ran my audition as well. Afterward, we had a fun banter about one of the categories I got in my mock game - "THE PEN IS MIGHTIER" :)
--
Drowning in the pool
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

This is just horrible. Glenn was a great contestant coordinator who devoted half his life to the show. I enjoyed talking with him about traveling in the South Pacific during my second audition.
Getting fired without cause might be the worst thing that can happen to someone.
Hoping for a third lap
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Glenn not only ran my LA audition, but I got The Call from him. He was a wonderful presence on set.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

I got The Call from Glenn, but didn't get to meet him either at auditions or tape day. We talked for an hour, and there was a later followup about something. He was warm and caring, an excellent show representative. I'm hurting for him, that it came to this. Sucks even worse that it's been made a news item.
Pending...
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:46 pm Glenn not only ran my LA audition, but I got The Call from him. He was a wonderful presence on set.
Likewise, likewise, likewise.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Look. The show clearly knows what it is doing. I’m sure there’s a sensible explanation.

:? :? :?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you peek behind the curtain at a lot of companies you like you will probably see a lot of things make you cringe.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

He was the best of their crew. It’s a shame he was fired. Some quirky cat lady ran one of my auditions. I liked Glenn tons better.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

What happened to Glenn Kagan further proves why my parents want me to go into the public sector (working in the government as a civilian worker) rather than working in the private sector.

Say what you want about our government but the government cannot and will not fire anybody for something like what Glenn, unfortunately, got fired for. In fact, the only time the Federal, State, and City Governments can fire anybody is there was a legitimate cause to be fired.

Having said that, good for Glenn to sue Sony but at the same time, its situations like this that I'll gladly take the rewards of working in the public sector any day of the week over spending half of my life working for one company, enjoying what I do only to be terminated because of age. That's not right.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

I miss everyone from the coordinator crew a few years ago: Glenn, Maggie, Tony, Robert. What a ridiculous fun bunch of characters. Glad Corina (who I think had just joined at the time) is still there.
goongas

Post by goongas »

davopardy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:33 pm What happened to Glenn Kagan further proves why my parents want me to go into the public sector (working in the government as a civilian worker) rather than working in the private sector.

Say what you want about our government but the government cannot and will not fire anybody for something like what Glenn, unfortunately, got fired for. In fact, the only time the Federal, State, and City Governments can fire anybody is there was a legitimate cause to be fired.

Having said that, good for Glenn to sue Sony but at the same time, its situations like this that I'll gladly take the rewards of working in the public sector any day of the week over spending half of my life working for one company, enjoying what I do only to be terminated because of age. That's not right.
Have you been watching the Federal government recently? Scientific people trying to help people in a pandemic are getting fired/pressured to leave.

If they wanted to get rid of Glenn, they should have given him severance at the very least instead of invent some nonsense.