Monday, October 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by da Doctah »

I thought of several plausible insects but 2010 meant nothing to me for single one out over the others: butterflies (would they have accepted that alone or required "monarch" to be specified?), killer bees, or maybe that was a peak year for 17-year cicadas? I have to admit cockroaches didn't occur to me.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

I keyed in on "Around 2010" and went with cicadas.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
earendel

Post by earendel »

Lefty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 amI guessed "Fast & the Curious". Not exactly a pun, I guess, but it seemed to go well with cats.
I thought I heard "Furriest", rather than "Furrious" and expected a judges' ruling that didn't come.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 am
Lefty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 amI guessed "Fast & the Curious". Not exactly a pun, I guess, but it seemed to go well with cats.
I thought I heard "Furriest", rather than "Furrious" and expected a judges' ruling that didn't come.
Kevin did say Furriest and it appears that he, and not Alex, was correct.
https://www.chiefmarketer.com/2009-pro- ... game-show/
Makes sense - it's a better pun than using a word that doesn't exist.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 am I keyed in on "Around 2010" and went with cicadas.
My wife and I also both said cicadas, too. Giving the year for no apparent reason seemed like a bit of a red herring.

I have seen photos of the millions of monarch butterflies that migrate to Mexico in winter, but it didn't cross my mind until Alex said it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm
It was not until going to the contestant responses and then reading the predictions at Fikkle that I began to realize that the clue was not as easy as I first thought. Perhaps there is an advantage for native Californians on it?
This is one of those finals where you either know it or you don't.
I don't live anywhere near there and have known about the migration of the monarchs for decades.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:43 pm How in the world was this a triple stumper? :shock:

Maybe they overthought it?

Kevin seems really good, though. Three for three on locking it up before final.
His competition has not been very strong for any of his wins. But yeah, 3-for-3 lock games is good performance for anyone under any circumstances.

Now to see if he's the first guy of the new season to lock up a ToC spot.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:48 pm I just saw Mexico + insect and locked in on Monarch Butterfly.
Lucky for you then, considering there's this rather well-known Mexican folk song called "La Cucaracha" (whose title translates to "The Cockroach")...
+1 for the "oof, tough question... cockroach?" crowd.
(I'm aware of the famous annual Monarch migration, but it didn't pop to mind)

As per this page, it seems the butterfly plate was issued from 2007-2012.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 am
Picked Off wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 am I keyed in on "Around 2010" and went with cicadas.
My wife and I also both said cicadas, too. Giving the year for no apparent reason seemed like a bit of a red herring.

I have seen photos of the millions of monarch butterflies that migrate to Mexico in winter, but it didn't cross my mind until Alex said it.
Tally another response of cicada. The mention of a year brought to mind either an anniversary of something or a periodic but not-annual happening.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Leander wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:21 pm While I know about butterflies wintering in Mexico, the state name meant nothing to me and the mention of 2010 seemed to be pointing to a specific event that caused the insects to be put on license plates. I drew a complete blank.
As dumb as it probably sounds, we in this household were thinking 2010 may connect to some sort of cicada brood and that was a guess that was made ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

+1 for Instaget.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 pm In the anagrams category, instead of ear & era I had nose & eons.
I'd be interested to see the ruling on that. The clue specifies "a long, distinct period of history", which is singular. But they might let that slide.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:20 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 am

Tally another response of cicada. The mention of a year brought to mind either an anniversary of something or a periodic but not-annual happening.
Ok, this is getting out of hand for the weekly poll to cover all bases. I made a poll just for this FJ.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5851
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:21 pm While I know about butterflies wintering in Mexico, the state name meant nothing to me and the mention of 2010 seemed to be pointing to a specific event that caused the insects to be put on license plates. I drew a complete blank.
I'm still a bit annoyed about that "Around 2010." First, why the imprecision? And then, why bring up the year at all since it doesn't mean anything if the butterflies are still there (unless you've memorized Michoacan license plates)? My best shot was "bees," and I fretted whether to pinpoint "killer bees." I'm sure this is more obscure than the winter place of monarchs, but we used to hear over decades that these bees were slowly making their way north (though they never seemed to arrive, and I'm not sure that the talk about them was still a thing by 2010). Clearly the story made more of an impression on me growing up than where the monarchs wintered...But probably not something Mexico would be celebrating, I admit... :roll:
The butterfly sanctuary was recognized as a UNESCO site in 2008 which likely spurred the decision.

There was also a lot of talk lately (or maybe just in the corners I frequent...) to how much The Wall(TM) would disrupt migratory patterns, including those of the Monarch.

I'd also think if a cockroach was such a (positive) national symbol, it would have been recognized long before 2010 on a plate...

Oh, also, the killer bees have arrived. Had to even call an exterminator to take out a -BIG- hive of them earlier this year. They weren't that killer though as long as you kept their distance. Bee guy had a bunch of dead ones on his suit tho by the end...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Division, (Bastille Day), Blue, Tiffany Haddish, Rocking Chair, Recital & Article, Main, (Virgo)
Douglas Squasoni
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Monday Night Football pre-empted J! here in the Los Angeles area. Shows are a day late all week.

I’m another in the cicada camp. Thought about some generic beetle, but figured that was too vague.

As soon as Alex gave his hint, I knew the answer. I knew of the annual migration to Mexico, but didn’t know the exact destination. So the hint in the clue wasn’t enough for me.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sadly, it was not the day of the locust.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Not-so-timely is today's Earth Science Picture of the Day:

Fuel for a Far-fetched Flight
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:01 am Not-so-timely is today's Earth Science Picture of the Day:

Fuel for a Far-fetched Flight
Even less timely, I went to Mission San Juan Capistrano today, it was awash in Monarchs. Little buggers don't take posing instructions well...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)