Wednesday, October 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Picked Off »

Find someone who loves you as much as J loves photos of Christopher Robin and his bear.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Tongass National Forest should be on everyone's radar at this point since the Trump administration recently proposed allowing roads to built there, which will open the area to logging.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Alex introduced the FJ category of “movie appearances” as a popular category, “particularly for final.” But I can’t find a single use of this category ever before in the archive, for FJ or otherwise. Am I missing something?
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 pm Alex introduced the FJ category of “movie appearances” as a popular category, “particularly for final.” But I can’t find a single use of this category ever before in the archive, for FJ or otherwise. Am I missing something?
He said "subject," not "category."
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm
Woppy T wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 pm Alex introduced the FJ category of “movie appearances” as a popular category, “particularly for final.” But I can’t find a single use of this category ever before in the archive, for FJ or otherwise. Am I missing something?
He said "subject," not "category."
That makes sense.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I couldn't think of a guess for Final Jeopardy. I got to "appeared in movies, not an actor" and just blanked.

Contronyms: "It can mean an assortment of different types, or one type in particular" -- I said selection.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got spoiled on the results of this game because yesterday afternoon I went to look up a clue's wording from Friday's game, and I made sure to click Mark's link from that game's thread rather than potentially spoil myself in a couple of ways by navigating through J! Archive, only to see "Kevin Walsh game 2" on Friday's game and recognize that he must have won his fifth game, prior even to having seen his fourth game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:51 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:28 pm So, in CONTRONYMS for $1000, how do we feel about "series"?

Here's the wording of the clue: "It can mean an assortment of different types, or one type in particular"

So the first half of clue seems to fit "series" just fine.
I actually think it's the first half that's problematic. Dictionary.com defines series as "a number of things, events, or people of a similar kind or related nature coming one after another."
What about a poker series having different types of poker?
A series of events?
The items in virtually any group will each differ in some way. The defining characteristic of a series, though, is that the items are grouped according to the characteristic they have in common.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:37 pm Contronyms: "It can mean an assortment of different types, or one type in particular" -- I said selection.
That one might just work.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:37 pm Contronyms: "It can mean an assortment of different types, or one type in particular" -- I said selection.
Agreed.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 am
Agreed.
Thirded
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No guess for me on FJ.

Is this the first time (since the five game limit was dropped) Alex has said five wins gets you an guaranteed spot in the TOC
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:36 pm No guess for me on FJ.

Is this the first time (since the five game limit was dropped) Alex has said five wins gets you an guaranteed spot in the TOC
Well, technically speaking, it still doesn't. The ToC tracker on the official site says:

Presence on this list does NOT guarantee an invitation to compete in the Tournament of Champions. Other eligibility rules apply and final selection is up to the producers' sole discretion.

Of course, 99% of that is there in case a contestant gets into legal trouble. There was a woman in the 80s who was generally unpleasant, challenging all her wrong answers, and who had actually appeared on a game show less than a year before her J! appearance (or whatever the time limit was.) She also used a fake SSN, I think. I also think someone who appeared on J! in the 2010s got arrested after his J! appearance for a sex offense. I forget the exact details, and googling "jeopardy" and anything legal is a mess. They want to make sure that it's known that there's technically no "automatic" criteria, and they can skip over people if need be.

I know they also generally have an alternate for the ToC - this makes sense. If someone's sick or has a delayed flight, they can't stop production, and it's pretty tough to make it work with 14 players. I also vaguely recall reading that the alternates are invited to the next year's ToC, but again, I could have either a bad source or a bad memory.

But as far as "5 wins and you're in", I think that's been an understood criterion for as long as I can remember - they take 4-time champs if they really need to tape a ToC and there aren't enough 5 timers.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:05 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:00 pm I was surprised Kevin received credit for his response on DJ29 SWEDEN LOWS--& HIGHS for $1600: Low: in a twist like one out of his "Millennium" mysteries, some fans think this author was murdered in 2004

https://youtu.be/LUI3CY8SZvM

What do you hear him say?
Spoiler
Mrs Penguin and I very clearly hear him saying Who is STEVE Larsson, rather than the correct Stieg Larsson. We went back and listened again and heard the same thing. The CCs have him saying Stieg. Once I saw that, I correctly surmised there would be no reversal before FJ. A reversal would have left him still in the lead, so the outcome of the game was not affected.
Funny... When I wanted to believe he said Steve, I heard Steve. Then when I wanted to believe he said Stieg, I heard Stieg. After one more watch, I hear Stieg.
The final sound is a bit muddy, but he gets the benefit of the doubt cause I don't believe he would think the Swede's name was Steve... :roll:
The weird thing is, if you watch his mouth it looks like his lips close between the first and second name, which you wouldn't normally do between "G" and "L" sounds. But on the other hand, I find it implausible that anyone would misremember this author's name as "Steve". It's much more likely to encounter the name of an author by seeing it spelled out rather than hearing it spoken.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:00 pm I was surprised Kevin received credit for his response on DJ29 SWEDEN LOWS--& HIGHS for $1600: Low: in a twist like one out of his "Millennium" mysteries, some fans think this author was murdered in 2004

Spoiler
Mrs Penguin and I very clearly hear him saying Who is STEVE Larsson, rather than the correct Stieg Larsson. We went back and listened again and heard the same thing. The CCs have him saying Stieg. Once I saw that, I correctly surmised there would be no reversal before FJ. A reversal would have left him still in the lead, so the outcome of the game was not affected.
Funny... When I wanted to believe he said Steve, I heard Steve. Then when I wanted to believe he said Stieg, I heard Stieg. After one more watch, I hear Stieg.
The final sound is a bit muddy, but he gets the benefit of the doubt cause I don't believe he would think the Swede's name was Steve... :roll:
The weird thing is, if you watch his mouth it looks like his lips close between the first and second name, which you wouldn't normally do between "G" and "L" sounds. But on the other hand, I find it implausible that anyone would misremember this author's name as "Steve". It's much more likely to encounter the name of an author by seeing it spelled out rather than hearing it spoken.
As weird as it may be, I think that's what he's saying. YouTube lets you slow the playback down to 1/4 speed. As you note, you can see his lips close between the end of the first name and beginning of the second. An experiment for everyone who thinks he says "Stieg": try saying Stieg Larsson while bringing your lips together between the first and second name. Play the video back at normal speed and try to say the name along with Kevin while doing that. Good luck and report back. There's no way to say "Stieg Larsson" while moving your lips as Kevin does at the same speed.

My best guess is that he knew the correct name and misspoke.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am
Mathew5000 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 am

Spoiler
As weird as it may be, I think that's what he's saying. YouTube lets you slow the playback down to 1/4 speed. As you note, you can see his lips close between the end of the first name and beginning of the second. An experiment for everyone who thinks he says "Stieg": try saying Stieg Larsson while bringing your lips together between the first and second name. Play the video back at normal speed and try to say the name along with Kevin while doing that. Good luck and report back. There's no way to say "Stieg Larsson" while moving your lips as Kevin does at the same speed.

My best guess is that he knew the correct name and misspoke.
It is "weird," I agree, but lip reading is notoriously unreliable. I have good hearing, so I prefer to not look but listen up close to my speaker, where it's clearer that he's voicing a g.
Even if we were judges on the show, it doesn't matter. With such an ambiguity and disagreement, unless the player is asked to repeat it's not fair to overrule. I wouldn't object to asking him to repeat the first name only, but it has to happen immediately, and the show (usually) moves too fast for that.