Friday, October 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Friday, October 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I must say, though I did get it right, THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN... for $800 seemed really undervalued. There were quite a few hoops to jump through in such a short clue.

Charge of the LB/Balaklava = Crimean War
Crimean War = mid-19th Century
Mid-19th Century = Queen Victoria

I suppose you could associate the Crimean War directly with Victoria, but the category felt like it lent itself to figuring out the year of the event and equating that with the monarch.

Felt more like a Final with the 3 steps I took, not 800 bucks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Victoria had a 63 year reign so even a vague idea of when the war was fought should give you the solve.

I went 3/4. I guessed Liz I for Magellan but I would have gotten Henry VIII on a rebound if she had been eliminated.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm Victoria had a 63 year reign so even a vague idea of when the war was fought should give you the solve.
I agree, it was more the first hoop was determining what the poem/battle was referring to. A battle with a Russian name leaves quite a few wars to choose from.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Weirdly, right after the "apple pie" neg I thought to myself, "I bet it's pizza". In the moment that seemed so right I almost mentally buzzed in to guess. Maybe I even did so and I should help myself to the points. I'm not sure, so I didn't count it. But I agree this is a real WECIBLMGYAL* clue. I remember in the '70s Chevy ran ads with the jingle "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet". Pizza, though very much an American thing, did not make the list. Ruling out 12-inch baseballs and Chevrolets leaves you with two good guesses (with the edge going to hot dogs which are KNOWN to come in "footlong" form) and a lot of wild ones.

---------------
* What Else Could It Be? Let Me Give You A List!
The idea that this clue is controversial is bizarre. Since when is delivery of hot dogs or apple pies a popular thing? Whereas pizza delivery is a great American tradition. Does it surprise anyone that pizzas can be prepared, completed, frozen, and shipped, yes, anywhere in the world...?
https://www.globenewswire.com/fr/news-r ... e-Day.html
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Roku and the Bottom Two in Actors & Their Roles.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ah!, Pearls, Ai, Vacuum, Steam, Pizza, To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before, Don't Go There, Elvis Costello, You Can't Go Home Again, Queen Victoria, (China), (George III), John F. Kennedy, Old Ironsides, Lockheed Martin, Henry VIII
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said flags. A food product never crossed my mind.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Weirdly, right after the "apple pie" neg I thought to myself, "I bet it's pizza". In the moment that seemed so right I almost mentally buzzed in to guess. Maybe I even did so and I should help myself to the points. I'm not sure, so I didn't count it. But I agree this is a real WECIBLMGYAL* clue. I remember in the '70s Chevy ran ads with the jingle "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet". Pizza, though very much an American thing, did not make the list. Ruling out 12-inch baseballs and Chevrolets leaves you with two good guesses (with the edge going to hot dogs which are KNOWN to come in "footlong" form) and a lot of wild ones.

---------------
* What Else Could It Be? Let Me Give You A List!
The idea that this clue is controversial is bizarre. Since when is delivery of hot dogs or apple pies a popular thing? Whereas pizza delivery is a great American tradition. Does it surprise anyone that pizzas can be prepared, completed, frozen, and shipped, yes, anywhere in the world...?
https://www.globenewswire.com/fr/news-r ... e-Day.html
I guessed sandwiches, as 12 inches put to mind a certain ad campaign. ;)
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:00 am
flemmingfan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 am Here's an annoyance of mine FWIW, AT telling the contestant (Kirstin in this case), "You picked the right one" I can't recall the answer/question but to my mind he is assuming she didn't KNOW the answer and was guessing. And that's all I have to sat about that.
J25 - Kansas
You picked the right state.

Should that go in the archive? I don't usually include those kind of remarks and only consider it a variation on Alex's affirmations.
To clarify a bit, if she picked the right state, what would be the wrong state? I have only heard of "Bleeding Kansas".
corpus_callosum
Contributor

Post by corpus_callosum »

Oddly enough, I had just watched a random youtube video on Lockheed Martin's F-22 and F-35, so this was an insta-get for me. The main premise was that the F-22 is the most powerful air superiority fighter in the world, sold only to the US and not even any allies. Since it's so expensive and there's no matching threat from Russia or China, the Defense Dept. stopped production and opted instead for Lockheed Martin's F-35 as a strike fighter for air to ground missions.

Aaron Copland is one of my favorite composers, and I also went for Rodeo based on the "pioneer celebration." If I'd re-read the clue closely about ballet, should have realized it was Appalachian Spring, which Copland originally called "Ballet for Martha" [Graham].

I thought George IV for Napoleon - didn't realize good ol' King George III reigned that long.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Lauren tried to cover by $100 instead of $1. Typically, that isn’t a big deal. Yesterday, it could have been. Of course, there is no reason for Aaron to bet $0 in that spot, but many players have done silly stuff like that even if it doesn’t make sense to do so. Crazy.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 pmSince when is delivery of hot dogs or apple pies a popular thing?
I know it's not popular, but... I have friends who throw a party for Major League Baseball Opening Day every year, mailing out invitations, and a couple years ago, the invitation was a "make-your-own-Chicago-style-hot-dog" kit they'd put together themselves, including all the ingredients.

(This year's invitation was custom boxes of Cracker Jack, including the special toy surprise... but the party ended up being canceled.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm You've probably heard of "Ring" doorbells but it hasn't registered. They get mentioned a fair amount in reports on neighborhood crimes and whatnot. Police canvassing nearby homes to see if anyone's Ring got a good picture of the burglar or his license plate. That kind of thing.
I've heard of smart doorbells and doorbell cameras, but not once have I heard them referred to by a brand name, "Ring" or otherwise.

And yes, I recognize "Simple Gifts" through the "Lord of the Dance" version.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

yclept wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:10 am Lauren tried to cover by $100 instead of $1. Typically, that isn’t a big deal. Yesterday, it could have been. Of course, there is no reason for Aaron to bet $0 in that spot, but many players have done silly stuff like that even if it doesn’t make sense to do so. Crazy.
Yes, she just rounded up. But she should have noticed where she would be if she got it wrong. And while a zero bet from second in a crush situation (especially with no third place player) isn’t likely, it is possible. This is why you should just make the MSB from the lead. Adding anything can just lead to trouble.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:14 am I know it's not popular, but... I have friends who throw a party for Major League Baseball Opening Day every year, mailing out invitations, and a couple years ago, the invitation was a "make-your-own-Chicago-style-hot-dog" kit they'd put together themselves, including all the ingredients.
And when it comes to care packages, which is what this basically is, the troops are happy for anything they get, so there really is no "popular".
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 am
trainman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:14 am I know it's not popular, but... I have friends who throw a party for Major League Baseball Opening Day every year, mailing out invitations, and a couple years ago, the invitation was a "make-your-own-Chicago-style-hot-dog" kit they'd put together themselves, including all the ingredients.
And when it comes to care packages, which is what this basically is, the troops are happy for anything they get, so there really is no "popular".
I would hope and assume that our troops may be served hot dogs, apple pie, and pizza from time to time. The point here is the idea of the event. That's why the group that sent them, Pizzas 4 Patriots, existed.
When someone uncovers the articles about Afghanistan 8 Apple Pies or Hot Dogs 2 the Hot Zone, I'll concede that there was a grab bag of responses for this clue...
It seems that many people latched on to "Fourth of July" to find their response. I focused on "an order was placed to deliver" and saw the response as obvious. Apparently that was the writers' thinking as well.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:58 am
econgator wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 am
I would hope and assume that our troops may be served hot dogs, apple pie, and pizza from time to time. The point here is the idea of the event. That's why the group that sent them, Pizzas 4 Patriots, existed.
When someone uncovers the articles about Apple Pies 4 Afghanistan or Hot Dogs 4 the Hot Zone, I'll concede that there was a grab bag of responses for this clue...
It seems that many people latched on to "Fourth of July" to find their response. I focused on "an order was placed to deliver" and saw the response as obvious. Apparently that was the writers' thinking as well.
I don't think anyone ever claimed the response was not factual or that the clue was "controversial" as you called it above. It's just that what you saw as "obvious" was not that way to everyone. This happens from time to time, it's not the end of the world. People were merely pointing out that there were many wrong ways a reasonable person might go with this clue. The writers are (I assume) not expecting players to necessarily know of this delivery of 30,000 pizzas but they perhaps thought, as you say, that the mention of "delivery" would point people toward pizzas. But indeed, the Fourth of July reference overrode that in a lot of peoples' minds and sent them toward other responses. My cursory research showed that Pizzas 4 Patriots sends pizzas for both Super Bowl Sunday and July 4, had they mentioned the former rather than the latter it may have been much more likely to make people think of pizza.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Also, would it be normal for miltary bases to have ovens? I know there are kitchen facilities but any image I have of military cooking from tv or movies never involves baking. First video I found, it's tough to immediately spot any ovens in this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIGKiv1D_0Q
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:35 pm Aanchal is now the first player alphabetically in the Archive, surpassing Aarin Martinez.
Nice find. From a strict data sorting perspective, all those who went by their initials come first:

A.C. Hawley
A.J. Monaco
A.J. Motley
A.J. Schumacher
A.K. Subramanian
A.V. Greene
Aanchal Ramani
Aarin Martinez
Aaron Ammerman

Going the opposite direction from the end:

Zorn Pink
Zora Shinn
Zoey Orol
Zoë Assasie
Zlatan Hodzic
Zinie Chen
Ziad Ali
Zia Jones
Zia Choudhury
Zelda Pulliam

The first hometown by alphabetical order is Aberdeen, Idaho, where Mandy Walters Whitaker was originally from. Kathleen Nance was from Zirconia, North Carolina.
Any home countries earlier than Canada? Latest in the alphabet country not counting the United States?
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 pm

I don't think anyone ever claimed the response was not factual or that the clue was "controversial" as you called it above. It's just that what you saw as "obvious" was not that way to everyone. This happens from time to time, it's not the end of the world. People were merely pointing out that there were many wrong ways a reasonable person might go with this clue. The writers are (I assume) not expecting players to necessarily know of this delivery of 30,000 pizzas but they perhaps thought, as you say, that the mention of "delivery" would point people toward pizzas. But indeed, the Fourth of July reference overrode that in a lot of peoples' minds and sent them toward other responses. My cursory research showed that Pizzas 4 Patriots sends pizzas for both Super Bowl Sunday and July 4, had they mentioned the former rather than the latter it may have been much more likely to make people think of pizza.
The "controversy" seemed to concern whether pizza is as American as apple pie, hot dogs, or Chevrolet... :)
The July 4 event is in the Guinness Book, so I imagine that's where the clue came from.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 pm Also, would it be normal for miltary bases to have ovens? I know there are kitchen facilities but any image I have of military cooking from tv or movies never involves baking. First video I found, it's tough to immediately spot any ovens in this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIGKiv1D_0Q
I'd have to think anything more than a truly temporary setup would include oven(s).