Tuesday, October 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 13 COLONIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Pride in the document under which this future state was governed from 1639 to 1662 led to its official state nickname

Brian Adams: 15400-5900=9500 (3x = $44,901)
Christa Gush: 10600-4801=5799
Casey terHorst: 3600-1201=2399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Connecticut (Brian – Pennsylvania) (Christa – Virginia) (Casey – Kentucky)

Daily Doubles
Brian: 5000+3000
Brian: 11400-5000
Brian: 7200+3000

Coryats
Brian: 16400
Christa: 10600
Casey: 3600

Combined: 30,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brian: 10600
Christa: 4200
Casey: 1200

Edit: Had to change Terhorst to terHorst.
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Brian was 2/4 on big clues and today that was enough as his opponents were both 0/1 on the wagering clues.

Yesterday Brian led for the FJ! round and bet enough to be $200 over 2nd place doubling.

Today Brian would have been $100 over 2nd place doubling if correct.

Whether $100 or $200 over, Brian would be below Christa's starting point of 10600 on a miss. Christa had Casey more than doubled for a lock on second. Instead of sitting pat, which is one way to play the round, Christa did the wager that comes up a lot in thinking the leader may be the one to bet zero and she attempted to get to 15401, a buck above Brian's starting point.

Brian is not going to bet zero as whether Christa saw Brian play the Friday game or not, the two games this week have given an indication that Brian bets.

Eh, who needs to know how to complete a famous Hardy title? Just be the best player of the three and you can win. Nice run of games by Brian as winning three is not easy.

The FJ! category had me make sure I knew all 13 colonies. I knew not to have VT or ME in the mix and was surprised to see Casey have KY as one.

The FJ! clue had me right for the wrong reason as I had a Charter Oak path to a quick solve. That's okay as J! does not requite someone to show their work.

I checked the recording and Christa's (4200) little light at the bottom was on at the start of the DJ! round instead of Casey's (1200) for how Alex could overlook who should have picked first even though the score displays were right in front of him. Someone in the control room probably got a talking-to at some point.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 pm The FJ! category had me make sure I knew all 13 colonies. I knew not to have VT or ME in the mix and was surprised to see Casey have KY as one.
At worst a contestant has a 1 in 13 chance of success. In theory anyway.

Christa's wager turning a win into a loss cuts like a knife.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6853

Only 7 TS though enough to win from the 4th podium as Brian had to cover Christa and missed the FJ! clue.

6W for Brian including a DD has me doubting he can get two more wins to make the ToC. On the plus side Brian's Coryat and clues right per game are trending the right way.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $35,800 (43R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Can't say I loved these boards, but I feel like I'm starting to turn a corner on movies/music/pop culture. Of course, as soon as I say that I'm bound to get blanked on a TV category tomorrow.... :lol:

On FJ, I was stuck between the Constitution State and the Charter Oak State; it was Connecticut either way so I felt good about it.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 pm The FJ! clue had me right for the wrong reason as I had a Charter Oak path to a quick solve. That's okay as J! does not requite someone to show their work.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one to do that.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Solomon a TS? :(
Another Cygnus X-1 reference 8-)
Near instaget FJ :mrgreen:
I see what you did there, Golf :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wonder what they would have done if she hit a DD on the first clue.

Nothing for me on FJ. I started in Georgia and worked my way up but didn’t get there in time. Put down NY just to have something. At least it fit the category.

Years of reading Peanuts pays off a second day in a row.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

lstone19 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 pm The FJ! clue had me right for the wrong reason as I had a Charter Oak path to a quick solve. That's okay as J! does not requite someone to show their work.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one to do that.
Poll request: I got Tuesday's FJ right for the wrong reason (or through Charter Oak, or something to that effect)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That was my path, too.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

econgator wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 pm
That was my path, too.
Same here
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Somehow I never knew that Solomon was the son of David. Also couldn't ferret out any details in the Magi pic. It just looked like "someone handing something to someone" and I couldn't zoom in.

I clammed on "pilot" because I couldn't suss out what Greek letter it began with. Ended up bombing the category. The clues just weren't connecting somehow.

Also 0/5 in Telegram.

Didn't recognize any of the titles in Book of Job.

Also clammed on ABBA because they are the total opposite of "outrageous" to my eyes and ears.

South America for $400 felt like a coinflip on São Paulo/Rio de Janeiro and I saw literally nothing to narrow it down.

No guess on FJ! Only got 13 to pick from, but it wouldn't matter since I would have picked the wrong one even with 15 guesses. I didn't even know Connecticut had a nickname.

Lach Trash: root
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Surprised to see Little Bighorn come up again as a neg for Wounded Knee

Time ran out as I got to Delaware, the First State. Proud to be first! Why not!

Blanked on Cygnus. Boo hiss!

Thanks to previous poster for clarifying what led to the error at the start of DJ
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Like Brian, I said Pennsylvania (the Keystone State) almost immediately...forgetting about Connecticut....and was surprised all three contestants waited so long to start writing. As the answers were revealed, I saw why!
davey

Post by davey »

Yes, I learned tonight that I never knew why CT was called the Constitution State - but it was the only document in a state nickname I could think of. I sort of remembered that DE was the first state that ratified the US one, but that created only a little trouble in my mind tonight, thankfully....
I was irritated by Brian's response for the Sony recorder - then I read that Betamax was also called Beta. Still, the category was ...Starts With...... I would have found it hard to let that go... :roll:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

May have been a broadcast hiccup, but I listened about six times and never heard Brian get the "L" in Tierra del Fuego -- it always sounded like de Fuego. I have to assume the staff heard it better than I did.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:30 pm May have been a broadcast hiccup, but I listened about six times and never heard Brian get the "L" in Tierra del Fuego -- it always sounded like de Fuego. I have to assume the staff heard it better than I did.
I didn't go back and listen again, but I had the same reaction at the time, made a mental note to make sure I didn't add an "l" where it didn't belong (though I was pretty sure I hadn't).

The Documentary category referred to a PBS documentary called "The Plastics Problem," congrats on the contestant for finding a way to make her answer even more alliterative and still correct (they asked for the problem, not the title of the movie, so "Plastic Pollution" still is correct).