Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Yeah, she's definitely got that saucy thing going.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Oh god, no! You know, before going on the show, I kind of imagined myself being all cool and comfortable in front of the cameras, but the intros are just terrible! The camera feels like it's on you FOREVER, and I just *could not* figure out how to smile like a normal human being. I felt like I was making weird alien faces and I couldn't stop it from happening!! D: D: So awkward!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Yes, the camera stay on you long, but you pulled it off.... there was an eye twittering that you did at the end of this one that I had to watch twice, it was perfect.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

mswanson wrote:Oh god, no! You know, before going on the show, I kind of imagined myself being all cool and comfortable in front of the cameras, but the intros are just terrible! The camera feels like it's on you FOREVER, and I just *could not* figure out how to smile like a normal human being. I felt like I was making weird alien faces and I couldn't stop it from happening!! D: D: So awkward!
Very nice work so far Margaret. Keep it up. I'm just curious as to whether you all received any words of advice prior to FJ along the lines of "we need a complete response", which would lead one to bull moose rather than just moose. I was waffling between the two; you know how they are about incorrect "extra" information and I thought TR may well have said just moose.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

So, who's the prophet now, Trebek?? The little thing he mentioned at the top of the show about my winnings' trajectory was something I'd brought up jokingly during the credits stand-around after Friday's game, and I was a little surprised that he'd remembered—or that someone listening in on the mikes (mics?) had noted it—since this show was taped the next day. But glad I could make good on it, and gladder that I finally came away with a win that I didn't feel like I had to explain in some way.

I thought the FJ seemed too easy, so the sort of concerned look that I had on my face when the camera panned over during the think music was me wondering if there were some trick to it that I was missing—could "Bull Moose Party" be a variation of the original quote? Might he have actually said just "bull" or "moose" and then it evolved later? (and no, mrparadise, they made no additional notes other than to tell us the usual "Who/What is" going into FJ for this one). Turns out I was overthinking it, and it really was just bull moose. So, good!

My buzzer mojo was indeed a little better this time, though Deniz definitely made me work for it! I know you always hear contestants say it, but it is so frustrating when people ask later, "Why didn't you get that one question?" and you're like, "IT WAS THE BUZZER! I SWEAR!" But what can you do. And I finally, finally found a Daily Double! I am grateful that they let me get away with that one, because I really was digging a bit. I was thinking, "But WHAT IF it's Nicholas I??? Mayyyyybe I'll just pause after Nicholas and look Alex right in the eye for a second, hmmmmmmm???? No? Keep going? Okay!!" So, thank you, AP European History teacher from 15 years ago! Something stuck... kind of!

Deniz was one of the leftovers from the first day's contestants and someone I got to hang out at the hotel with, and he is a real peach. He's like a 70-year-old man trapped in a 26-year-old's body, and I absolutely mean that in the best possible way. He is also personal friends with Chekov from Star Trek, who came to the studio the first day to watch him!! Deniz was great on the buzzer, totally charming, and sharp as a tack—so what if he can't pronounce "slalom"? ;) I hated having to beat him, but hey, girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Plus, I did take him out for post-taping In-n-Out burgers that night, so I think we're square.

All in all, a fun game for me, and definitely made me feel better about the previous two wins!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I never knew Nicholas II actually abdicated. I always thought he left office when the bullets entered his body. He was my guess, but I wasn't certain.

Twice in one game we have a reminder to study short lists when prepping for the show. One is UN Secretaries General and another is recent Popes. The ones post-WWII come up a lot, especially from John XXIII onward.

Congrats on your win, Margaret. I'm about to watch your next game. Retro good luck and all that sort of thing.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Not that I would even think of trying, but...

Margaret is really really hard to root against. :D

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Aww, thanks, everyone! I'm going to try really hard to win another one tonight, okay?
(Although I already promised the opposite to the TWOP poster who accused me of being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl {which, pssssshhh!} and wanted my face off his/her television immediately, sooo....)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

He thinks you're a real-life Manic Pixie Dream Girl and *doesn't* want you on his TV???

I for one am a big fan of weird alien faces, so it's been fun watching your run.
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

mswanson wrote: Deniz was one of the leftovers from the first day's contestants and someone I got to hang out at the hotel with, and he is a real peach. He's like a 70-year-old man trapped in a 26-year-old's body, and I absolutely mean that in the best possible way.
Spot-on accurate. (He's one of my close friends from college).
alamble

Post by alamble »

mswanson wrote:
Deniz was one of the leftovers from the first day's contestants and someone I got to hang out at the hotel with, and he is a real peach. He's like a 70-year-old man trapped in a 26-year-old's body, and I absolutely mean that in the best possible way. He is also personal friends with Chekov from Star Trek, who came to the studio the first day to watch him!!
I'm gonna assume you're referring to Anton Yelchin, and not Original Chekhov, Walter Koenig. Still pretty cool, Yelchin's a great actor.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

alamble wrote:
mswanson wrote:
Deniz was one of the leftovers from the first day's contestants and someone I got to hang out at the hotel with, and he is a real peach. He's like a 70-year-old man trapped in a 26-year-old's body, and I absolutely mean that in the best possible way. He is also personal friends with Chekov from Star Trek, who came to the studio the first day to watch him!!
I'm gonna assume you're referring to Anton Yelchin, and not Original Chekhov, Walter Koenig. Still pretty cool, Yelchin's a great actor.
No, no! That's why it was so cool! Original Chekov!!
BoK

Re: Bullets over Broadway

Post by BoK »

BobF wrote:
I'm tempted to say 10, but then both Romney and Obama would go out and get shot in the chest 27 times - which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I'd like to welcome our new lurkers in the Secret Service.