FJs for the 11/9/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/9/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 pm

This word for a type of building or institution comes from Greek for a place sacred to a mythical group of 9
61%
Vehicles in "2001: A Space Odyssey" featured this airline's logo, but the company went bankrupt in 1991
79%
2020 marks the 55th birthday of the first piece of equipment dedicated to this process, now used for regular screenings
57%
Both Wales & Bhutan have flags bearing one of these mythical creatures
91%
More than 100 years after it was first proposed, this monument was dedicated by President Chester Arthur  
86%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
27%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
HISTORIC NAMES $1600 box DD: In 1781 this German philosopher published his "Critique of Pure Reason", because he could
77%
AROUND THE WORLD $1600: The biblical city of Ephesus & the World War I battlefield of Gallipoli are both found in this country
72%
AUTHORS' HOMES $2000: In 1972 his daughter Jill sold Rowan Oak, the family home in Oxford, to the University of Mississippi
69%
TWA was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
13%
Eastern was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
2%
Mammogram/mammography was my correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue. (Definitely check the Wed. clue box above)
48%
Ultrasound was my guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue. (Your choice whether to check the Wed. box or not)
9%
Colonoscopy was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue. (Do not check the Wed. box since it was ruled wrong on the show.)
4%
I have seen the Washington Monument in person.
72%

Total votes: 90

alietr
Site Admin

Re: FJs for the 11/9/13 week

Post by alietr »

Flealick wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:27 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Saw Washington Monument, it was closed at the time and I couldn't go up it, to my considerable relief.
I guess different people have different forms of acrophobia, but I would imagine going up would not affect most acrophobics. Now if you're claustrophobic, I could see that. It is a somewhat confined space in the elevator and at the top.

This was an unfortunate reminder for me that I haven't seen the Washington Monument in a few months, which might be the longest stretch for me in almost 40 years.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: FJs for the 11/9/20 week

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t like heights. Climbing a ladder makes me nervous and I get the willies if I get close to the edge of a cliff.

But going up the Washington Monument wouldn’t bother me as I would be inside. I once went to the top floor of the Sears Tower and looked out the window with no problems.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Saw the monument last from a hotel room just a few weeks before that became an unlikely thing to do... :cry:
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Monday, got stuck on variations on “non-” and couldn’t get out.
Instaget on Tuesday. Big Kubrick fan, and have seen the movie on the big screen several times; the last several years it’s been showing up regularly on classic movie night at our local lux-o-plex.
Wednesday is still one of the stupidest FJ clues ever, and I’m counting my response of ultrasound.
Took me about half the think music to get there on Thursday and Friday, but was pretty confident in my answers.
Instagets on Turkey, Kant, and Faulkner.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MRI on Wednesday. Sigh

Have seen, walked completely around, and touched the Washington Monument, but have never been inside it. It was closed on one visit and we were too short on time the next.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:49 am I don’t like heights. Climbing a ladder makes me nervous and I get the willies if I get close to the edge of a cliff.
Out of curiosity, can you step on a glass floor or does that trigger it, too?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:49 am I don’t like heights. Climbing a ladder makes me nervous and I get the willies if I get close to the edge of a cliff.
Out of curiosity, can you step on a glass floor or does that trigger it, too?
If it is a long way down it does.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

I fully expected a killer category on Friday after four correct through Thursday with the only suspense coming on the Pan Am reveal. I started with Eastern as the more notable bankruptcy of the era, but decided Pan Am has been gone quite a while and would certainly make better Sci Fi gravitas.

Been to D.C. and Paris a few times, but just can't buck the lines for the Tour Eiffel or the Wash. Mon.

I don't have acrophobia but the glass floors (like the one over the Grand Canyon) do produce a weird emotion. My left brain reassures me that the glass is stronger than the concrete and steel around it (true statement for compressive strength). But my right brain tells me "must tighten sphincter" :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Had "Mammography" on Wednesday.

Walked past the Washington Monument a few times as a child.
I would prefer not to.