What ought to happen next?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: What ought to happen next?

Post by Robert K S »

That equation changes yearly. With the percentage of cord-cutters on the rise, and 5G right around the corner for all but the most rural American communities, the future of TV networks, local OTA broadcast, and cable TV in general is going to look a lot like the present looks for local newspapers. Mike Richards and Sony are going to have some tough decisions to make about the future of the show during the tenure of the next host. Patreon isn't going to cover the production costs and prize budget.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:37 pm Oh, the other thing that needs to happen: They need to provide a reasonably priced streaming option for cord cutters who don't get TV reception. There are a LOT of people who are saddened by Alex's death but who truthfully haven't seen him in years. They like him, but not enough to take on a ridiculous cable bill just to watch the one show. Make a deal with Netflix or Hulu to stream current shows. Not old shows. Not shows on a one-day delay (though that would be better than the current situation). Make them available by 7:30 on game day at the latest.

I don't know what their current contracts will allow them to do. But if they can legally make this streaming arrangement, they need to do it NOW. Fire the Sony exec's nephew who got put in charge of Crackle and turn that into a legitimate option if you want. Many many many people will want to see Alex's last games, but they're not going to take on a cable bill to do so. Get those viewers now and you might hang on to some when the new host shows up.
I agree with this 100% in principle. In particular, J! enthusiasts should have some kind of backup when preemptions happen, because, as Alex once said...oh, you know the quote.

The problem is the syndie packages. Whether it's because "it's the way it always has been" or "everyone else is doing it" (both of which are weak arguments on their own), syndication and streaming don't mix. I imagine that's because the stations that pick up the packages don't want people to go online and watch, sapping the revenue from local ads. There's probably some exclusivity clause that says "Station X in this market is the only place you can watch syndie show Y - no other stations, and no reruns."

But the syndie market just don't respond to streaming. I don't think you can stream full episodes of any of the daytime court shows, talk shows, or entertainment magazine shows online or on demand. But I may be a little wrong on this - 25 Words or Less is available on Tubi. The episodes may lag a week behind (they have 40 for their current season and J! has done 45, but I don't know if they started later). So it IS possible.

I'd gladly wait a week and watch an advertiser-supported stream online if there's a preemption. It would make it nicer for contestants, too - if it's preempted in your market, TBTP can give you a special password to the streaming site to unlock the current day's episode when it would normally air, so you can still host your watch party - as long as you have an HDMI cable or a smart TV.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Regardless of any decisions the grand poo-bahs make regarding any future streaming, one thing I would hope they can do is somehow convince the TV contract-holders to allow Jeopardy to put up the final Alex episode on YouTube where practically anyone would be able to find and watch it. Only this episode, as a favor to longtime viewers.

Delay it a week or month or two if you have to in order to satisfy the contract-holders and such, but put it up!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:57 pm I hope they increase the prize money. I read somewhere online that Alex was making more than the contestants every show but I don’t know the details or if that’s even true.
It's been reported that Alex was making 10 million a year. If that's true, that's about $45,000 per episode. So unless the contestant was having a really record-setting day, Alex got more. Somebody should total up what the show gives out in prizes in a year.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:34 am Regardless of any decisions the grand poo-bahs make regarding any future streaming, one thing I would hope they can do is somehow convince the TV contract-holders to allow Jeopardy to put up the final Alex episode on YouTube where practically anyone would be able to find and watch it. Only this episode, as a favor to longtime viewers.

Delay it a week or month or two if you have to in order to satisfy the contract-holders and such, but put it up!
I remember J! put up an episode on YouTube for a limited time recently, maybe when Emma beat James? I imagine they would do the same, if they can, for the last episode.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

goongas wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:34 am Regardless of any decisions the grand poo-bahs make regarding any future streaming, one thing I would hope they can do is somehow convince the TV contract-holders to allow Jeopardy to put up the final Alex episode on YouTube where practically anyone would be able to find and watch it. Only this episode, as a favor to longtime viewers.

I remember J! put up an episode on YouTube for a limited time recently, maybe when Emma beat James? I imagine they would do the same, if they can, for the last episode.
Yes, that was James' defeat to Emma when they put the episode on YouTube for a week. I remember they did the same thing for both games of the 2019 Tournament of Champions finals.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:37 pmBut if they can legally make this streaming arrangement, they need to do it NOW.
They can't, due to their contracts with the various local stations that air the show.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I wonder if local stations can legally stream the show. Real time, contemporaneous with the broadcast, commercials and all. That probably interferes with their contracts with cable companies. Sigh.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:48 pm
trainman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:37 pmBut if they can legally make this streaming arrangement, they need to do it NOW.
They can't, due to their contracts with the various local stations that air the show.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I wonder if local stations can legally stream the show. Real time, contemporaneous with the broadcast, commercials and all. That probably interferes with their contracts with cable companies. Sigh.
Real time streaming is exactly how I watch without cable. CBS all access.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:23 am
JayK33 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:36 pm Also what does this mean for returning contestants? Would they now be allowed to go on again?
Probably not. Many other shows had multiple hosts. Eligibility rules of only being on there once have always applied.
The Price is Right bucked that trend about ten years ago. They changed their rule to allow returning contestants after a ten-year waiting period. And I believe it may have been Mike Richards who instituted that rule.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:57 pm I think the next host should be a hologram of Alex Trebek.
If you're going there, it might be easier to borrow Doc Brown's DeLorean, go back 20 years, and bring that version of Alex back with you.

Maybe make it 19 years back to get the freshly shaven Alex. Better continuity that way. :P
--Peter
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

So what does everyone think about this LeVar Burton hype going around?

In my opinion, he sure does check a lot of boxes. He's an endearing figure for a lot of us with a great voice and experience hosting a TV show (though not a game show). I really only have 1 con and thats his age of 63.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing against Burton, I just don’t get the hype. But my exposure to him is limited to Roots.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm Nothing against Burton, I just don’t get the hype. But my exposure to him is limited to Roots.
People's exhibit A for the defense is the petition for Burton with many signatures.

The prosecution counters with this: https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/ ... 7883170816
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I do also question how many of the people who signed that petition actually have a vested interest in Jeopardy and its continued success, and not just Star Trek/Reading Rainbow fans who just want an excuse to see more of him.

I'm going to lean towards the latter on this one.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm Nothing against Burton, I just don’t get the hype. But my exposure to him is limited to Roots.
People's exhibit A for the defense is the petition for Burton with many signatures.

The prosecution counters with this:
He could have spelled Trebek correctly, at least.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 pm

The prosecution counters with this: https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/ ... 7883170816
He could have spelled Trebek correctly, at least.
it doesn't change the pronunciation, so I believe the judges would (usually) rule in favor of the contestant.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Trebeck.png
Trebeck.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:26 am Image
[LIKE] [THUMBS UP]
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I predict they will use Ken Jennings as the interim host (at least) until they sign a replacement for Alex. I wouldn't mind seeing Ken get the position permanently, but I have a feeling they might be looking to change things up and select someone who's non-white and/or non-male.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure many others feel this way, but I think many millennials like myself grew up watching "Reading Rainbow" and were greatly impacted with a love of reading and learning from that show like Jeopardy! LeVar Burton is very similar to Alex Trebek in many ways, telegenic, calming presence, and articulate. Even on his podcast you get that same relaxing vibe, which I recommend. Also he promotes and rewards lifelong learning, which obviously translates very well on Jeopardy! I don't think its a matter of people wanting to see Burton in something new, but more that he would be a solid pick to be the next J! host and be able to continue the tradition that J! and Alex Trebek represents because he is a perfect embodiment of those same qualities. Also J! always wants more diversity for the show, so that doesn't hurt either. Honestly I feel he just checks many of the boxes that qualify to be a good successor, and he'd be my top choice if I had a say in the matter. I really feel that he would make Alex proud, which many lifelong J! fans like myself want to see!

I also feel Pat Kiernan would be a solid pick as well, especially since he has probably one of the most comparative hosting duties to J! under his belt with Grand Slam, and he would keep the Canadian host tradition alive.