Tuesday, November 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An 1862 novel says this character "would have arrested his own father…and would have denounced his mother"

Andy Wood: 19800+999=20799 (2x = $47,598)
Dan Burg: 9400-0=9400
Holly Bishop: 8000+7999=15999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Javert (Dan – Joubert)

Daily Doubles
Andy: 1800+1800
Andy: 10600-5000
Andy: 8000+3000

Coryats
Andy: 21800
Dan: 9400
Holly: 8000

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andy: 10200
Dan: 3000
Holly: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex opened talking about the third lectern and continued it when talking to Holly. In November it's:

1+3+1+3+2+3+3+1+3+2+3+1 for the winning position

I matched the contestant for second choice correct response on the hookah clue in WONDERLAND.

EPONYMOUS ELEMENTS had a Sg clue, yay.

One of the ads was a promo for this week and it included that there will be one of those video categories for the upcoming AMAs.

The FJ! category had me expecting Hugo or Dumas. The FJ! clue had me face the dreaded blank on the correct name. I knew exactly who it was. I pictured the right actor from the 2012 film. I went to get the name and it was not there. Nooooo! Using every trick I know of deep breath, eyes closed, clearing my mind... nothing worked.

Trying to get there I had the bad guy from Aladdin keep coming to me. I knew I was in the neighborhood and could only write Javard before time was up. I completely sympathize with Dan not quite getting there either. Dan lost $1000 because of it and all I lost was a little pride and short streak.

Nice title defense by Andy stepping up his game from the comfort of the champ's spot and John dispatched. Andy had to work a little extra for the runaway when DD2 had one of those word origin type things hiding in THE 15th CENTURY. I figured it out in time while understanding that was not the nicest surprise for a second box DD.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ran City Sites, Wonderland, Eponymous Elements, & 15th Century.
Speaking of Elements, a certain board member should be happy with a particular clue. ;)
:D :D :D on DDs
FJ: Had to pivot from Jean Valjean to Inspector Javert. :mrgreen:
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I'm wondering what would be the worst misspelling of this FJ! that would still be accepted.
Spoiler
zha-VAIR?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

mahatma wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:38 pm I'm wondering what would be the worst misspelling of this FJ! that would still be accepted.
Spoiler
zha-VAIR?
Spoiler
Nope, but only because Zhavair is a different name:

https://www.names.org/n/zhavair/about
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:04 pm
mahatma wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:38 pm I'm wondering what would be the worst misspelling of this FJ! that would still be accepted.
Spoiler
zha-VAIR?
Spoiler
Nope, but only because Zhavair is a different name:
https://www.names.org/n/zhavair/about
Well, that was a little bit facetious, but using that reference,
Spoiler
Javert, Javer and Javerre
are all different names.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Blank "Um".

No idea how "ursine ranger" failed to get me to Smokey Bear.

Not only was $400 my only miss in TV Spin-Offs, it was also my only NHOI. That seems to be happening a lot lately and I have no idea why.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: gypsum (finally got it right!), Hawaii, bluebell. Also got the "recant" DD.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Another "multi-media" clue in FJ!. Lots of ways to get there - the novel, the musical, the movie-musical. Although, asking for the character's name pretty much requires you to have actually seen, heard, or read the source material - or remember it from a past clue. He's by no means a minor character, but I don't think of him as one of the "top 100 fictional characters you should know", either. His name pops up in the archive 14 times, but 13 of them are in the clue. Only once has he been a response, pairing him with Jean Valjean. I've listened to the CD since 1986 and can probably recite the whole thing verbatim if given the musical background, so it was fairly easy for me.

Curium for a DD? Seemed easier than that level of clue. Scientific family is almost always the Curies.

I had to pause for way longer than I should have when replying "What is Star....", but I picked the right one. Reminded me of that "Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf meme with a picture of Picard.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 pm ...

I had to pause for way longer than I should have when replying "What is Star....", but I picked the right one. Reminded me of that "Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf meme with a picture of Picard.
That was a Pavlov neg for me as I blurted The Twilight Zone for "Sci-fi" and "1960s series". As I was saying it I was telling myself I don't remember that name for an episode. Oh, Star Trek, I don't know that show's episodes at all. My bad. If the clue had been about Lost in Space then I would not have made such an error.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 pm

That was a Pavlov neg for me as I blurted The Twilight Zone for "Sci-fi" and "1960s series". As I was saying it I was telling myself I don't remember that name for an episode. Oh, Star Trek, I don't know that show's episodes at all. My bad. If the clue had been about Lost in Space then I would not have made such an error.
Same Pavlov neg here!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

By second 25, I just gave up and wrote "Russell Crowe". Easy LL get, and entirely possible a different day in a different 30 second window, I get it...but not this day.

The wrong answer I wish I could've given was 'Camembert', the Javert from the Animaniacs' "Les Miseranimals" segment...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 pm

Same Pavlov neg here!
Me, too...but I immediately knew my mistake..."It's the one with Joan Collins!"

Good evening, dear Inspector. Lovely evening, my dear
I know this man, my friends, his name's Inspector Javert
So don't believe a word he says 'cos none of it's true
This only goes to show what little people can do!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spoiler
zha-VAIR?
I think they should have taken Dan's rendering of "Joubert". I would have spelled something similar, but put "Inspector Jabert" or "Inspector Jabeir" and maybe even added the parenthetical (Les Miz) underneath if time and wits prevailed.

I'm not sure how to score myself in the poll, but I know this character from a compulsory reading assignment and it is one of the only works of fiction I've had to read where I don't want a refund for the time invested. I completely forgot about the spelling with the "v" because of always sounding it with the "b" in my head.

I didn't get Copernicus and the fake element because it's just another imposter. I have a plutonic relationship with elements that have never existed and phony planets. I really enjoyed the poem at the interview.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Y'all rang?

It would be funny if someone responded "Who is Java?" to FJ, because they only knew the character's name from Colm Wilkinson's pronunciation of it in his performances of "Who Am I?" I got it and spelled it right, but with some trepidation due to thinking Les Misérables was an 1830s novel. I guess it's because it leads up to events in 1832 France.

Holly didn't do so well guessing flowers :( I can't throw stones on the first one, since I also said the first "um" flower that came to mind (assuming that's what she did), nasturtium. But even with the ice cream clue, I would expect a picture of blue flowers to dissuade someone from guessing the name of a pink flower. The lights do funny things.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:36 pm No idea how "ursine ranger" failed to get me to Smokey Bear.
It got me as far as Yogi Bear, at which point my brain, satisfied it had the right answer, stopped looking.
Not only was $400 my only miss in TV Spin-Offs, it was also my only NHOI. That seems to be happening a lot lately and I have no idea why.
The fan base for that show definitely skews older than the median, so we're probably not its target market.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,400
50 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: gypsum, Hawaii, recant (DD), Fidelio, bluebell

They'd probably kick me out of Hawaii had I not known which island Kona is on. They'd never let me back in Texas if I hadn't gotten bluebell.

Another 1960s + sci-fi + notable episode titles = The Twilight Zone here.
Sprinkles are for winners.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Newhausen wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 pm The fan base for that show definitely skews older than the median, so we're probably not its target market.
"The Good Fight" was also the newest show in the category, and the only one that was produced for a streaming service (CBS All Access). The others all aired on broadcast TV (either network or syndication).