Tuesday, November 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 pm ...

I had to pause for way longer than I should have when replying "What is Star....", but I picked the right one. Reminded me of that "Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf meme with a picture of Picard.
That was a Pavlov neg for me as I blurted The Twilight Zone for "Sci-fi" and "1960s series". As I was saying it I was telling myself I don't remember that name for an episode. Oh, Star Trek, I don't know that show's episodes at all. My bad. If the clue had been about Lost in Space then I would not have made such an error.
You know what's funny? For some reason I thought of The Twilight Zone too, probably because Shatner was in "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from that series. I did regroup in time to get the clue right, even after the long pause I always give myself for Star Trek/Wars.

Looking up that episode of The Twilight Zone, they even asked for the specific title 12 years ago, but in connection with the 1983 movie. I can't say I'd remember the title - just that Shatner was in an episode where I think he sees someone on the wing of a plane.

And, going back to tge original clue, I'm pretty sure I actually got it because it was also title of a South Park episode that partially parodied Star Trek.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:51 pm I completely sympathize with Dan not quite getting there either. Dan lost $1000 because of it and all I lost was a little pride and short streak.
I sympathize too, though this time my brain managed to cough up Javert. But the miss didn't cost Dan: he bet 0, so Holly's get and big wager left him in third regardless of his Miz miss.
In and out of the pool four times
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Amd I'm Javert do not forget my name.png
Amd I'm Javert do not forget my name.png (468.32 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Is it overly pedantic of me to point out that in "Eponymous Elements $800" Andy (slightly, not enough to make his response wrong) mispronounced philosopher George's name? The city (and the element) is "BERK-", but the philosopher is "BARK-".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another well played game, and a two-day champ who looks quite strong. I liked this FJ: policeman from a 19th c French novel. I’d like to see a poll question about where people got Javert’s name from. I’ve never seen Les Mis but I’d wager that I’m in the minority.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 am Another well played game, and a two-day champ who looks quite strong. I liked this FJ: policeman from a 19th c French novel. I’d like to see a poll question about where people got Javert’s name from. I’ve never seen Les Mis but I’d wager that I’m in the minority.
Request seen though there are a lot of options with book, theater musical, movie, soundtrack, cast recording, J! clues, pub trivia, entertainment TV shows, some person in one's life talking about the work... and as seen above, a meme.

reddpen: Oops, you're right, Dan's zero wager locked him in for third, right or wrong.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am Is it overly pedantic of me to point out that in "Eponymous Elements $800" Andy (slightly, not enough to make his response wrong) mispronounced philosopher George's name? The city (and the element) is "BERK-", but the philosopher is "BARK-".
Wikipedia's article on George Berkeley says that the British pronunciation (I assume of BARK-) has "evolved" into American pronunciation of BERK-, but only references the city. But that, along with Andy's answer of "Berkelium or Berkeley", demonstrates that the clue is a little bit of a mish-mash when it's done in real time. There's the philosopher, the city, and the element, all of which are very similar. Decoding exactly which one is asked for is tough. I imagine Alex gave Andy a slight grimace or "Go on..." off-camera that prompted him to add the "or Berkeley", or perhaps he corrected himself in real-time before Alex ruled him technically incorrect, as I've heard contestants are instructed to do.

I've always maintained that, in life, while proper pronunciation is nice to have, when you mispronounce words, it's usually because it's a word you've encountered while reading. And reading is a good thing, right? Who's more learned - someone who catches a 5 minute PBS segment on Berkeley and hears the right pronunciation, or someone who read a few chapters in a philosophy book in a college class but hears the right pronunciation from the professor once or twice, but it doesn't stick due to others in the class pronouncing it like the college?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was pretty confident FJ was the antagonist in Les Mis, but the only character names coming to me were Valjean and Cosette, so I put down Quasimodo just on the off chance it could be correct.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am
Foretopman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am Is it overly pedantic of me to point out that in "Eponymous Elements $800" Andy (slightly, not enough to make his response wrong) mispronounced philosopher George's name? The city (and the element) is "BERK-", but the philosopher is "BARK-".
Wikipedia's article on George Berkeley says that the British pronunciation (I assume of BARK-) has "evolved" into American pronunciation of BERK-, but only references the city. But that, along with Andy's answer of "Berkelium or Berkeley", demonstrates that the clue is a little bit of a mish-mash when it's done in real time. There's the philosopher, the city, and the element, all of which are very similar. Decoding exactly which one is asked for is tough. I imagine Alex gave Andy a slight grimace or "Go on..." off-camera that prompted him to add the "or Berkeley", or perhaps he corrected himself in real-time before Alex ruled him technically incorrect, as I've heard contestants are instructed to do.
The start of the clue, and its main clause, is Last name of philosopher George,. A misreading is par for the J! course, but as written it's straightforward.
That it has a distinctively British pronunciation, for J! purposes is (unlike berkelium) immaterial... ;)
This guy's pretty forgiving...
https://youtu.be/hi6TbMEk_T4
(Check out the beginning, and about 2:50)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am
The start of the clue, and its main clause, is Last name of philosopher George,. A misreading is par for the J! course, but as written it's straightforward.
That it has a distinctively British pronunciation, for J! purposes is (unlike berkelium) immaterial... ;)
This guy's pretty forgiving...
https://youtu.be/hi6TbMEk_T4
(Check out the beginning, and about 2:50)
I didn't mean to say it was misleading - if you read it carefully, yeah, it's clear they wanted Berkeley. But if you're a contestant who has been answering rapid-fire trivia questions for the last 20 minutes or so, pumped full of a mixture of adrenaline and caffeine, and your goal is to win all the buzzer wars, that clue's a bit of a trap - but, yeah, not because of bad writing. There have been some poorly written clues this season, but this isn't really a great example of a poorly written clue.

And I know rules are rules, but in terms of knowledge demonstration, "Berkelium" for "Berkeley" demonstrates sufficient knowledge other than a brief misreading of the clue, mainly because "Berkeley" is a fairly well-known city/university (although less well-known as a philosopher). The other way around, I'd be significantly less generous - you might know that they're going for "the element named after Berkeley", but that could be something like "Berkinium", which shows a knowledge gap, since fewer people have (I imagine) heard of berkelium than Berkeley.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gypsum, Curiouser and Curiouser, Hawaii, (Recant), Fidelio, Franz Schubert, Blue Bells
Douglas Squasoni