Thursday, November 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DOG BREEDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Alpendog was a proposed name for this dog breed

Andy Wood: 19000+8201=27201 (4x = $91,999)
Emily Brogren: 13600+13000=26600
Tuan Nguyen: 13200+401=13601

Correct response:
Spoiler
St. Bernard

Daily Doubles
Andy: 5000+5000
Tuan: 6200+6200
Emily: 7600+4000

Coryats
Andy: 14400
Emily: 11200
Tuan: 9000

Combined: 34,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andy: 13000
Emily: 2000
Tuan: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex opening with remarks about World Pancreatic Cancer Day hit home today.

Andy had 11800 after the first segment and only added 1200 in the next 15 clues. 6000 for Andy in the DJ! round was not much though his cushion was sufficient to have the lead after Tuan doubled up on DD2 and even if Emily had farmed DD3 instead of leaving 3600 on the table.

The FJ! category had me try one precall of Dalmatian. The FJ! clue was exactly what I needed after missing the previous two FJ! clue. It had to be right because if it was not then the writers were being cruel tricky so-and-sos.

Four games and Andy is 2+L+2+1. No 3 in his line yet and often that will finish a champ when it occurs. Good for Andy to get by the after lunch game that often can dethrone a champ.

For the ToC possibilities:
Spoiler
College Nibir
Teacher Ben
8x: Jennifer, Karen and MacKenzie
5x: Sam, Paul and Kevin
4x: Ryan

That's 9 spots spoken for.

4xers waiting to see if they get in: V3 (89,001), Sarah (89,300), Zach (85,669), Andy 91,999 and returning to try to sweep the week
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6871

That was a pleasant surprise for the AMA category to have two clues with words only. Of course the writers quickly made up for it with three images in the art category.

It almost always happens that when the three players are correct for the FJ! clue that their responses will not be quite identical.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Never heard of blue zone being used in that context. Guessed Green Zone.
Ran All That & African-American History. :)
No bagels, getting TLC in the AMAs.
:D :( :D on Daily Doubles. Guessed arm for vein. :?
No trouble with FJ :mrgreen:
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Enjoyed this game, props to all three contestants. Dog breeds is not exactly a category I'd like to see in FJ, but "Alpen" --> St. Bernard I can handle. Dachshund did come to mind briefly, however.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 pm
Spoiler
College Nibir
Teacher Ben

4xers waiting to see if they get in: V3 (89,001), Sarah (89,300), Zach (85,669), Andy 91,999 and returning to try to sweep the week
Left off your list is 19x: Jason to make 10 AQ bids thus far. Curious to see what TPTB will do about Zach, if that hasn't been decided already.

In any case, it's always great to see players succeed that use strategy to their favor. Congrats so far and best of retro-luck to Andy tomorrow!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 pm Enjoyed this game, props to all three contestants. Dog breeds is not exactly a category I'd like to see in FJ, but "Alpen" --> St. Bernard I can handle. Dachshund did come to mind briefly, however.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 pm
Spoiler
College Nibir
Teacher Ben

Left off your list is 19x: Jason to make 10 AQ bids thus far. Curious to see what TPTB will do about Zach, if that hasn't been decided already.

In any case, it's always great to see players succeed that use strategy to their favor. Congrats so far and best of retro-luck to Andy tomorrow!
Yup, bad oversight on my part and should've started with the big win totals before going to the tourney champs.

When Zach plays again we may not know about it when he tapes if he plays his cards close to the vest. The week his game(s) air the word will be out as soon as the weekly lineup is posted on the J! site as many (not me - did not look at Friday players until this afternoon) instantly look ahead. And it's probably more obsessively this season in looking for Zach to appear again.

California is clamping down with more restrictions, so I would not be surprised if J! has to stretch airing the last 26 Trebek games into 2021.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

This was an exciting game. Andy looked like he was going to blow everyone away but his challengers (and me, playing from the fourth podium) eventually got on a roll and gave him a run for the money. I blanked on FJ...very disappointing since I've been a dog lover all of my life.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Easy FJ!s this week, IMO, and I almost think this one could have been a $200 clue. I had Pomeranian, Shih-Tzu, Corgis (J! loves the Queen), and Golden Retriever as random precalls, but there's just too many to really make a precall worthwhile. Anyone who's seen a cartoon as a child knows St. Bernards bring hapless avalance victims brandy...or else they make a martini for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-J0xPfbRr0

I peeked at the wagering before the game, so I was surprised to see that Andy got a pretty big lead (and would subsequently lose it) with that first DD.

I ran the AMA category, but I required the first 2 of the 3 videos to get the right answer. I know Eye-lash and the Jonas Brothers on sight, but the songs they used in the clues were foreign to me. And I only knew Portugal. the Man because I hate-looked-up the song they played. For some reason, that song is like ASMR to me - annoying. But to each his own.

"Name the other digit besides a finger" in OUT OF BODY for $1600? I mean, I guess "toe" is an option, but still...

Couldn't get the right answer on the "Gibraltar" clue - just had "Where I saw a macaque steal a sign from a tour bus near the caves". By the "Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?" rule, I was right.

Anyone else notice this exchange?

Andy: "Who is Will Hunting?"
Alex: Good.

Was it a correction of the response, or an affirmation of the response?

Some day, some contestant is going to reply "Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters." I need that to happen.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Trebek's introductory speech was unintentionally foreboding.

Ran Out-of-Body Experience. 19th Century Plays was a bagel.

Hit and miss in the AMA category. I clammed on Eilish since I wasn't sure if she'd had another hit yet, and on Jonas Brothers because I know there are only three of them yet there were five people in the footage.

I've heard of kettle chips, but didn't know that there was a brand specifically called Kettle. I've seen "sweet onion" chips (incidentally, the one brand I like is also kettle-cooked), but never "Maui onion".

Good Will Hunting is one of those movies where I know literally nothing other than the title, so the fact that the character is also named "Will Hunting" eluded me. I ended up getting only Rick in that category.

Environmental Agreements was very poorly pinned. I also said "materials" because it seemed to fit far more squarely than "waste" did.

Alpendog -> Alps -> skiing -> Saint Bernard? I think I'm getting better at this.

Lach Trash: socks
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Heh, Kettle Chips. I picked up a bag of these earlier this week (spoiler for size)
Spoiler
They're no Salt & Vinegar, but still tasty.

Precalled Rhodesian Ridgeback for giggles
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 pm Heh, Kettle Chips. I picked up a bag of these earlier this week
I had no clue they were a brand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got FJ, but it could have just as easily have been the Bernese Mountain Dog or the Swiss Mountain Dog.

Love Kettle Chips.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:22 pmAnd I only knew Portugal. the Man because I hate-looked-up the song they played. For some reason, that song is like ASMR to me - annoying. But to each his own.
I blame fun. for starting the trend of "vaguely indie-ish act with gratuitous periods in their name".

Honestly, I don't mind that song. I'll at least take it over the umpteenth dreary, slow-paced EDM sludge where everyone on it sounds like they're dying. THAT, I blame on Marshmello.

However, I would rather listen to fun. or Marshmello than "7 Years" by Lukas Graham. That's probably the lifetime award winner for "song that I can't even hate-listen to because it repulses me THAT MUCH".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 pm I blame fun. for starting the trend of "vaguely indie-ish act with gratuitous periods in their name".
India.Arie?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Ozymandias(Only know that as a Shelley poem.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Kettle, Socks, Barney Miller, George M. Cohan, Canadian National, Black Star Line, Tuberculosis, Wastes, Gibraltar
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 pm Heh, Kettle Chips. I picked up a bag of these earlier this week (spoiler for size)
I've seen those too. I think the path was obscured because I've seen kettle-cooked chips in other brands too.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yup, Andy looked like he was going to run away with this one until the others found their buzzer mojo. I was worried about FJ until I saw the clue. Another well-played game despite a few issues with wagering.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Today's FJ category is always a tough one for me, but fortunately the clue was gentle.

+ said Dr. Manhattan, wasn't able to switch to Ozymandias in time.