Thursday, November 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, November 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bluejaylink »

My first thought was Bernese Mountain Dog and someone else in the room said St. Bernard before I could get there.

I precalled some sort of Alsatian vs. German Shepherd question.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,000
47 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: socks, Barney Miller, Black Star Line, tuberculosis, Gibraltar

Two big--but common!--mistakes by Emily at the end of DJ! possibly cost her the game. Going all in on DD3 and solving the two remaining $2000 clues would have put her in the lead heading into FJ! Instead, she goes McNitt on the DD, solves the bottom clue in 19th Century Plays, then attacks Environmental Agreements from the top, leaving the two highest-value clues unrevealed. Yikes. I feel like we need some sort of Herm Edwards/Eminem mashup for these kinds of situations.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

I also thought it would be either Bernese Mountain Dog or St. Bernard, and figured they would go with the more obvious choice.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I didn't like the wording of the clue for which the correct response was "wastes". Mercury and asbestos are not wastes, per se. I would have been happier with the clue if it had ended, "...these, which might contain asbestos or mercury".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 am I didn't like the wording of the clue for which the correct response was "wastes". Mercury and asbestos are not wastes, per se. I would have been happier with the clue if it had ended, "...these, which might contain asbestos or mercury".
Very good point. I don’t feel so bad about my answer of materials now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 am I didn't like the wording of the clue for which the correct response was "wastes". Mercury and asbestos are not wastes, per se. I would have been happier with the clue if it had ended, "...these, which might contain asbestos or mercury".
That's a good point. For me the difficulty was more simple, and not necessarily a problem with the clue. I think of "waste" as a collective noun. Nuclear waste. Hazardous waste. Singular and referring to the whole mess. Since the clue was obviously going for a noun in the plural, I dismissed waste as a possibility.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am
That's a good point. For me the difficulty was more simple, and not necessarily a problem with the clue. I think of "waste" as a collective noun. Nuclear waste. Hazardous waste. Singular and referring to the whole mess. Since the clue was obviously going for a noun in the plural, I dismissed waste as a possibility.
Yes. The clue was quoting the name of the treaty, but the get rate would surely have been a lot higher if they could have changed "these" to "this."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After a blank stare on the TV category earlier this week I was glad to pick up $2000 of LT on Barney Miller.

Alex talking about pancreatic cancer was rough after hearing him looking forward to Thanksgiving. I wonder how many more of these we will have the next few weeks.

Instaget FJ.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In a weird bit of reverse Baader–Meinhof this same night I watched an old 1950s Popeye cartoon with my daughter, in which the villain (not Bluto, for once) climbed to the top of a Swiss Alp only to find a St. Bernard at the top (spoiler, really, Popeye in a suit) and my daughter asked, "What's that?"
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am
I guessed 'materials' because of the familiar word HAZMAT (and, by the way, wouldn't 'HazMat' be a more sensible rendering? I can imagine someone handling HAZMAT in the thought that he'd gain the powers of six classical gods or heroes).

Likewise, Emily's toad in the hole was wrong because it's wrong but it seems like a reasonable response otherwise,

My one get in the AMA category was Billie Eilish, though I might possibly have got the Jonas Brothers with a picture. I did at least recognize all but Portugal the man.

I'd been unaware of Einstein's aversion to socks but I did know that No Pants Day is in January (though not through participating).

The DD in 19th Century Plays was sort of tricky. I did guess Ibsen though because "Norwegian" would make it too easy while I think for Strindberg they would have specified "Swedish".

I'd always thought of the thumb as a finger, but apparently not. I guess that's why the Beast with Five Fingers was considered a monster.
I'm smart and I want respect.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:54 pmHit and miss in the AMA category. I clammed on Eilish since I wasn't sure if she'd had another hit yet, and on Jonas Brothers because I know there are only three of them yet there were five people in the footage.
Pretty sure there's a fourth JoBro--he was known as "the bonus Jonas"--but I'm not looking it up cuz who needs that in their search history.

Re the Einstein/socks question, the 8th of May is also known for an activity that, done properly, involves no clothing whatever.
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

reddpen wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:54 pmHit and miss in the AMA category. I clammed on Eilish since I wasn't sure if she'd had another hit yet, and on Jonas Brothers because I know there are only three of them yet there were five people in the footage.
Pretty sure there's a fourth JoBro--he was known as "the bonus Jonas"--but I'm not looking it up cuz who needs that in their search history.

Re the Einstein/socks question, the 8th of May is also known for an activity that, done properly, involves no clothing whatever.
Can you help with the May 8 reference?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:01 am
reddpen wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Can you help with the May 8 reference?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... urse%20Day
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks. I will bring it up to my wife in a few months.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:14 am Thanks. I will bring it up to my wife in a few months.
you might be better off doing it in any other state besides the one you live in
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Lefty wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:39 pm I'd been unaware of Einstein's aversion to socks but I did know that No Pants Day is in January (though not through participating).
I am surprised that this isn't better known. My understanding is that AE wasn't averse to socks but simply considered them redundant, something like "Hey, I'm wearing shoes. Why do I need socks?"

I referenced this in a family text after I posted a pic of my quarantine hair. One response was basically, "You're turning into Einstein." My response: "Not quite Einstein. I still wesr socks." Some of them got it.

I stumbled upon Einstein socks a month or so ago and had to have a pair just for the irony.
OCSam