Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SECRETARIES OF STATE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Dirk Stikker, Dutch foreign minister 1948-1952, wrote, "Churchill’s words won the war"; this American’s "words won the peace"

Charlie Fonville: 15400+8000=23400
Amanda Minafo: 7600-7600=0
Henry Baer: 17200+13800=31000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
George Marshall ( Amanda – Trum)

Daily Doubles
Charlie: 200+1000
Henry: 4200+4200
Henry: 14800+2000

Coryats
Charlie: 14800
Amanda: 7600
Henry: 14200

Combined: 36,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Charlie: 7400
Amanda: 3200
Henry: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A boardie can consider this game an unofficial shout out with LET'S GET HAMMERED and INTERNAL ORGAN PRACTICE even though it was not his kind of church organs.

Charlie can watch the game and see a whole bunch of spots where he could have been the one leading for the FJ! round and returning to play tomorrow. You gotta know stuff like middle names of presidents and you gotta know when you don't know stuff as Charlie's bricks off the rim set up Henry to be Barkley Rodman.

For the remind-alike game I'll give Henry, ABC's David Muir.

The FJ! category had me skip the precall game since I knew I would at least recognize whatever name was used. Being Monday I should have used the break to warm up as I had some rust.

I spent twenty seconds trying to recall the name Cordell Hull that would not come to me even with detours to Nimitz and Rickover which (I don't know why) have done the trick in the past. I tried a quick brainstorm and had to swat away later ones Vance and Dulles. With time almost up I reread the full clue and understood who it was with just enough time to write the last name thanks to ink pen speed. It's a home solve while I may have choked or run out of time in the studio. [Wipes brow] I'll take it since it counts, though embarrassed at the length it took.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:49 pm

I spent twenty seconds trying to recall the name Cordell Hull that would not come to me even with detours to Nimitz and Rickover which (I don't know why) have done the trick in the past. I tried a quick brainstorm and had to swat away later ones Vance and Dulles. With time almost up I reread the full clue and understood who it was with just enough time to write the last name thanks to ink pen speed. It's a home solve while I may have choked or run out of time in the studio. [Wipes brow] I'll take it since it counts, though embarrassed at the length it took.
I had Cordell Hull immediately and mic dropped. Even if I had stopped to think about Marshall, not sure how I would have led myself to pick the right one (other than the lemma: if you are coinflipping between two possibilities on FJ, go with the better-known one)
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Was debating between Cordell Hull and Marshall and went with Hull as felt a better fit for the word peace (~ UN) and the category (longest serving Sec. of State). I can live with this miss but I agree with the previous post. When in doubt, go with the simpler option.

I hate clues like this when no effort is made to eliminate equally valid answer(s). Still remember http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2078 from my early days of watching. I do not know how you would choose the intended answer over
Spoiler
Kipling or London.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6876

The CCer is probably older and whiter than I am? "You" in the song title instead of "U"? :lol:

Yeah, Charlie lost five toes, in how many times he shot himself in the foot.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

TriviaBug wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm Was debating between Cordell Hull and Marshall and went with Hull as felt a better fit for the word peace (~ UN) and the category (longest serving Sec. of State). I can live with this miss but I agree with the previous post. When in doubt, go with the simpler option.

I hate clues like this when no effort is made to eliminate equally valid answer(s). Still remember http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2078 from my early days of watching. I do not know how you would choose the intended answer over
Spoiler
Kipling or London.
I'm with you about that earlier FJ. I think there was plenty to point to Marshall here, what with his Nobel Peace Prize, the Marshall Plan, the tenure of that Dutch foreign minister, and the fact that Stettinius succeeded Hull before the war was over. I know of Hull's involvement in founding the UN, but if I can only pick one, there's no question about which.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Lefty wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:37 pm I think there was plenty to point to Marshall here, what with his Nobel Peace Prize, the Marshall Plan, the tenure of that Dutch foreign minister, and the fact that Stettinius succeeded Hull before the war was over. I know of Hull's involvement in founding the UN, but if I can only pick one, there's no question about which.
You are right about the tenure part but "words" actually lead me away from Marshall as I reasoned the Marshall Plan involved action/building, so it must have been Hull for his involvement in drafting the Charter of the UN (hence "words"). Note that he was a Nobel laureate too.

But I get it - if you ask a hundred quizzers, the majority would swing to Marshall in a regular Jeopardy game.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ran Hammers, Internal Organs, 6-letter GG words, Behind the Music, Arthurian characters, Astronauts, :)
:D :D :D on DDs
Trash: hatch, Born to Run, Mordred, Kruger
FJ: Marshall (wag) :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My apologies to TPH for TPH being my only miss in hammers.

Instaget FJ. Never considered anyone else.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm Instaget FJ. Never considered anyone else.
Mine wasn't quite the instaget, but his was the only name I could come up with from that time. I've certainly heard of Cordell Hull, but if it were him, there's no chance I would have come up with him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:31 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm Instaget FJ. Never considered anyone else.
Mine wasn't quite the instaget, but his was the only name I could come up with from that time. I've certainly heard of Cordell Hull, but if it were him, there's no chance I would have come up with him.
Same here on Hull. I didn’t know he was involved with setting up the UN. I happened to hear the Marshall Plan mentioned on a radio show today so he was already fresh on my mind.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm proud that I pulled out a solve for this FJ! during the BOM-BOM. I played precall with the recent non-current-administration secretaries, with Reno, Albright, Powell, Rice, Clinton, and Kerry. Obviously that did no good. For some reason I was stuck on Haig, which I knew wasn't old enough - he was under Reagan. After 20 seconds, I realized that with a clue this "non-current", it had to be one of those facepalm clues, where even non-trivia experts would recognize the name and think that it's something they SHOULD know, so that it's not a frustrating clue. Well, what proper name goes with peace and WWII? Marshall Plan. Was there a Marshall who was Secretary of State? Uh, I honestly didn't know, but I put it down. A solve is a solve.

Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" strikes again tonight, with "Russians in Afghanistan". I wonder what the longest stretch of J! with no mention of an event/person from that song has been.

Clark County, Nevada - when did they tape this?!?!?! Also, Dolly Parton- when did they tape this?!?! Oh, and technically, Sheena Easton's song is titled "The Morning Train (9 to 5)" to avoid confusion. I had a fun fact about the Dolly song in a made-up FJ! clue - the percussion sounds like a typewriter, but it's actually something completely different.

I said to wiggle the doorknob, instead of jiggle. Or maybe it was the opposite. Either way, I'm giving it to myself. The category confused me at first, because I thought it was 6 letter words with TWO pairs of double Gs, which isn't linguistically possible.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:36 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SECRETARIES OF STATE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Dirk Stikker, Dutch foreign minister 1948-1952, wrote, "Churchill’s words won the war"; this American’s "words won the peace"

Charlie Fonville: 15400+8000=23400
Amanda Minafo: 7600-7600=0
Henry Baer: 17200+13800=31000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
George Marshall ( Amanda – Trum)

Daily Doubles
Charlie: 200+1000
Henry: 4200+4200
Henry: 14800+2000

Coryats
Charlie: 14800
Amanda: 7600
Henry: 14200

Combined: 36,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Charlie: 7400
Amanda: 3200
Henry: 2600
Congratulations to a fellow Caltech alum. --Bob
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" strikes again tonight, with "Russians in Afghanistan". I wonder what the longest stretch of J! with no mention of an event/person from that song has been.
Also John Glenn. And is astronaut/Ohio senator really $2000 level clue?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Internal Organ Practice and 6 Letter Double G, but 0/5 in Russian Interference, Arthurian Characters, Astronauts.

I got myself in the Hammer category but my only other get was $200. In true TPH fashion, I managed to brainfart all of the other three.

"Bill and coo" made me WTF. Poll request?

Behind the Music for $2,000 was huuuuuuuuuuuuge negbait for "Born in the USA". Couldn't shift gears after that neg even with 2/3 of the title staring me in the face.

No guess on FJ! "George Marshall" is about the most generic name on the planet so, despite as often as it's come up, it has not registered in my brain even once.

Lach Trash: hatch
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I toured, and got accepted at, Clark University during my college application process a few years ago. Wasn't a great fit location wise so I ended up enrolling elsewhere, but it was cool to see the school come up on J! tonight regardless. I hesitate slightly to ask for a poll request because it's only Monday, but I'd love to know how you folks fared with that clue (or maybe how many got it with confidence, not just on an educated guess). Not a lot of TOM with that one, IMO.

Slam dunk FJ, make it 10 for the last 11 (hopefully I don't jinx myself haha). Big ups to Henry for doubling up when he had the chance in a category he clearly liked, and winning the game as a result.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm "Bill and coo" made me WTF. Poll request?
Yeah, that's a new one on me.