A very great idea that came to me

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

A very great idea that came to me

Post by jlgarfield »

Hi, all. In light of the news that Pluto TV is starting up a new channel devoted to classic Bob Barker eps of The Price is Right, this had me thinking.

I wish Pluto TV had a Classic Jeopardy! channel (what it would be named, I'm listening). If GSN can have a channel there, then there's room for some throwback Jeopardy!.

It's a nice way to keep Alex Trebek's legacy with us.
talkingaway

Re: A very great idea that came to me

Post by talkingaway »

I'd love that idea. However, I have a feeling Alex episodes will be hard to come by for awhile, other than in the syndication package that shows last season's episode of J! on a 364-day delay, or on the weekend syndication package. TPTB know there's a heightened interest in J!, and they want eyeballs on the new episodes - the ones that air at 7 or 7:30 in most east coast markets. And secondarily, they want you to watch the second half-hour of J!, if it's available in your market. If you make "classic Alex from 1990" a viable option, people will gladly tune out the new host(s) and watch old episodes.

Of course, it presents an interesting option for the syndicated package. Will next year's package (or even later this year's) throw in a few weeks of really old, SD episodes? Probably not, but I'd love it.

It's interesting - I lost GSN for about 3-4 years, and just noticed I got it back. It's now literally 100% cheaply-produced GSN original game shows that look like they're taped in the exact same studio with the exact same camera setup. Not to say they're bad - I find the new Jennings show interesting. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, and maybe I'm longing for childhood, but i feel like the golden era of game shows was in the 70s and 80s - more like the stuff that's on Buzzr. Sadly, those shows tend to look dated, being in 4:3 SD - and questions can be either really easy, or a little too dated when it comes to "current event" topics.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Great idea! Have your people call their people and get this set up.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

Something like that could work especially considering that Jeopardy! is distributed by CBS Television Distribution (a sister to Pluto TV) I think Pluto and Sony can work something out where they can launch a 24/7 channel dedicated to classic episodes of Jeopardy!

Also wouldn't it be fair for Pluto to give Wheel its own 24/7 channel too as well? I mean if you're going to give Jeopardy one you might as well give Wheel one as well.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ That's also a good idea. :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

What they really need is a “You’re in the Picture” channel.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:35 pm
It's interesting - I lost GSN for about 3-4 years, and just noticed I got it back. It's now literally 100% cheaply-produced GSN original game shows that look like they're taped in the exact same studio with the exact same camera setup. Not to say they're bad - I find the new Jennings show interesting. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, and maybe I'm longing for childhood, but i feel like the golden era of game shows was in the 70s and 80s - more like the stuff that's on Buzzr. Sadly, those shows tend to look dated, being in 4:3 SD - and questions can be either really easy, or a little too dated when it comes to "current event" topics.
Don't want to hijack this thread...but did want to comment.

When I made the conversion to digital cable in the late 1990s, it solely because Game Show Network (as it was then called) carried the old classic game shows that were such a treat to watch on my days off from school...and the only way to get Game Show Network was to have digital cable. Their entire Sunday night was called "Sunday Night in Black and White", airing the old shows from the 1950s. Eventually, they got around to the 3-week sequence of the original The Price Is Right (Bill Cullen hosting) where a young gentleman from the town where I now live won everything in sight, from an airplane and a lifetime supply of soup to an elephant. (Yes...at one time in tiny Simpsonville, there was an elephant grazing in a field, courtesy of The Price Is Right). A medical clinic now stands in its place.

Those classic older game shows are all long gone now from GSN's schedule (although GSN does air 2 weeks of "What's My Line" and "I've Got A Secret" around the Christmas holiday). We don't have Buzzr on our cable system but I understand they now show a lot of the old classic game shows.

What is Pluto TV?
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ They're an internet television service.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

jlgarfield wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:27 pm ^ That's also a good idea. :)
I'll put it this way, Pluto could be the new pre-2004 GSN, with these classic game shows. They already have BUZZR (so that's the bulk of the Goodson-Todman, Al Howard, and Reg Grundy stuff; sans Scrabble) now add in TPIR from much of the Barker era and now with this idea of giving both Merv Griffin game shows their own channels, I think this could make Pluto TV the destination for Game Show fanatics like us to go to for getting their classic game show fix.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

davopardy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:12 pm
I'll put it this way, Pluto could be the new pre-2004 GSN, with these classic game shows. They already have BUZZR (so that's the bulk of the Goodson-Todman, Al Howard, and Reg Grundy stuff; sans Scrabble) now add in TPIR from much of the Barker era and now with this idea of giving both Merv Griffin game shows their own channels, I think this could make Pluto TV the destination for Game Show fanatics like us to go to for getting their classic game show fix.
and if sony does give J! and wheel their separate channels on pluto tv, the archive will eventually get filled in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dell3234 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:59 pm
and if sony does give J! and wheel their separate channels on pluto tv, the archive will eventually get filled in.
Not quite. They probably wouldn’t release the Barbara Lowe games or the Seniors Tournament game where the player was DQd.
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:01 pm
Not quite. They probably wouldn’t release the Barbara Lowe games or the Seniors Tournament game where the player was DQd.
technically most of the missing games expect those above
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Oh what an amazing day that will be. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jlgarfield wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:13 pm
Oh what an amazing day that will be. :)
Would that be a battle royal of archivists vs. scrapers?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:15 pm What they really need is a “You’re in the Picture” channel.
You laugh, but this has been running continuously on GoComics.com since January 1, 2015:

"The Comic Strip That Has a Finale Every Day"
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

Was he saying it seriously or just joking?
davey

Post by davey »

davopardy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 am
Was he saying it seriously or just joking?
Neither. He was stating a fact. Nobody could watch J! 24 hours a day. He was supposed to say that the phone number was available 24 hours a day, and he screwed up the line.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Sorry to bring this up again, but in all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if such a channel comes up in the next few years.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Some things are too nice for us to have.