FJs for the 12/21/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/21/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 pm

After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941
78%
He famously remarked, "We are all the President's men", giving Woodward & Bernstein their title
88%
After giving birth in Paris, American Marjorie Karmel wrote "Thank You" him & co-founded an organization now named for him
67%
He is quoted as saying, "Another such victory over the Romans, and we are undone"
70%
His headstone, using a line from one of his scripts, says, "I'm a writer but then nobody's perfect"
50%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
WORLD LIT $1600: This Utopian land of Samuel Butler's was located in New Zealand
43%
THE AFRICAN EXPLORER $2000: On July 21, 1796 Mungo Park became the first European to sight this long West African river
23%
SCIENTISTS $1600: In 1628 this Brit published his study "On the Motion of the Heart and of the Blood in Animals"
35%
Hannibal was my incorrect guess for the FJ! clue that reran on Thursday.
10%
Hitchcock was my incorrect guess for the FJ! clue that reran on Friday.
12%
Trebek's attempt at a German accent helped me solve the FJ! clue that reran on Tuesday.
25%
HISTORIC SUPREME COURT DECISIONS? $2000: A "fearsome" kilt wearer dukes it out with a '70s sitcom junk dealer - I had (dread) Scott though not Sanford.
3%
HISTORIC SUPREME COURT DECISIONS? $2000: A "fearsome" kilt wearer dukes it out with a '70s sitcom junk dealer - I had Sanford though not (dread) Scott.
35%
At least one of the five games was new to me to see for the first time.
52%
I am certain I had seen all five games prior to this week.
22%

Total votes: 60

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: FJs for the 12/21/20 week

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:32 am One thing to mention that I always find astounding, no matter how many times I'm reminded: Henry Kissinger is still alive. Yes. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Alive and still being consulted like a guru... :roll: And still working to rid himself of that accent, no doubt... :)
https://www.businessinsider.com/henry-k ... on-2020-11
.... and was very recently told, "You're fired."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/26/politics ... index.html
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Missed with Hitchcock and Congo. Had Kissenger without Alex's accent. Had Scott without Sanford.

Don't remember seeing any of the games -- had a long period of time when J! wasn't on the menu due to life, kids, work, travel.......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Euphonium wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:29 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:37 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:10 pm
Not sure how the German accent would have helped; the category was literally GERMAN AMERICANS.
"German Americans" need not imply German-born
How widespread is this usage?

This particular FJ is the only instance of GERMAN AMERICANS I found in the archive, but I found one example of Irish Americans and one of Italian Americans as regular board categories, from which all ten correct responses were American-born.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D

I'm not at all certain I had seen all five games previously, but I also cannot say that one or more of the games was definitely new to me.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

I've been to Billy Wilder's grave, so that was a gimme. I prefer Jack Lemmon's headstone, though, two graves over (with Carrol O'Connor in between), which just says "Jack Lemmon/In" in the style of opening credits. I also was amused that next to Wilder on the other side was Peter Falk, and across from him was Simpsons co-creator Sam Simon, along with a cenotaph for his (still alive, last I checked) dog, Columbo.