Wednesday, December 9, 2009 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His collection of books suffered disastrous fires at the home called Shadwell in 1770 & at the Library of Congress in 1851

Dave Belote: 17200+8799=25999
Jove Graham: 17800+16601=34401 (New Champ)
Sarah Weinschenk: 4200-4000=200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Thomas Jefferson (Sarah – Ben Franklin)

Daily Doubles
Dave: 1600+1600
Dave: 5000+5000
Jove: 13800+4000

Coryats
Dave: 12800
Jove: 15400
Sarah: 4200

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 3800
Sarah: 6600
Sarah: 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here it is: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3242

The next three reruns already have game threads, so it will be bumps and not new threads for those ones.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

From the Archive as usual:
runs: Spanish Civil War, Animal Songs, Missouri, Roman Numeral Math :)
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: Republicans, silver, St. Joseph, Rodney Dangerfield (no respect!),
FJ: books + 1770 x Library of Congress = Thomas Jefferson. :mrgreen:
Had Antique Roadshow :x
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Man, these FJ!s just aren't twigging with me at all. What connection did I miss this time?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I almost switched to Bejamin Franklin since I didn't recognize Shadwell. I worried that for TJ the home should be Monticello. But I knew Jefferson sold a ton of books to the Library of Congress, so I figured I was safer sticking with him. When the first guess was revealed, it was Franklin and was ruled incorrect. So I knew I hadn't lost anything by by not switching to him, even if Jefferson turned out to be wrong. And of course he turned out to be right so I'm 2/2 this week.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 pm I almost switched to Bejamin Franklin since I didn't recognize Shadwell. I worried that for TJ the home should be Monticello. But I knew Jefferson sold a ton of books to the Library of Congress, so I figured I was safer sticking with him. When the first guess was revealed, it was Franklin and was ruled incorrect. So I knew I hadn't lost anything by by not switching to him, even if Jefferson turned out to be wrong. And of course he turned out to be right so I'm 2/2 this week.
You had little to gain in any case by switching to Bejamin Franklin, except for the chance to be told "I have bad news for you. You forgot an "N" in Mr. Franklin's first name and that means we can't accept that as a correct response because it affects the pronunciation, and it costs you everything you have."

I took "the home called Shadwell" to mean "this wasn't his most famous home; if it had happened there, we'd have used this clue on Po'er Players week".
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I took the "home called Shadwell" clue the wrong way, figured well Washington and Jefferson both have famous homes with other names, so we're probably looking for some other big name, let's go with Franklin. The Jefferson+books connection was not familiar to me but I'll remember it now!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Benjamin Franklin for me.

I really love the roman numeral math category. I imagine it would be tough to deal with some of those under the lights. I was only able to get two of them in the same reaction time as the contestants. It felt like I needed an extra 5 seconds on the others.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:34 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 pm I almost switched to Bejamin Franklin since I didn't recognize Shadwell. I worried that for TJ the home should be Monticello. But I knew Jefferson sold a ton of books to the Library of Congress, so I figured I was safer sticking with him. When the first guess was revealed, it was Franklin and was ruled incorrect. So I knew I hadn't lost anything by by not switching to him, even if Jefferson turned out to be wrong. And of course he turned out to be right so I'm 2/2 this week.
You had little to gain in any case by switching to Bejamin Franklin, except for the chance to be told "I have bad news for you. You forgot an "N" in Mr. Franklin's first name and that means we can't accept that as a correct response because it affects the pronunciation, and it costs you everything you have."
They're not going to hassle me over a missing n in Franklin's first name. Don't be silly.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Library of Congress consists of three buildings across the street from the Capitol: the Jefferson Building (the main building, it has a very classical look and is shown below), the Madison Building, and the Adams Building.

LOC.jpg
LOC.jpg (184.04 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Animal Songs $800 and a couple clues in Funnyman Who Played.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Republicans, Silver, Bronze, John Hancock, St. Joseph, Ohio, Calypso, Cormorant

I have been to the Underground Railroad freedom center. Coincidentally enough, it was in 2009! :o
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:00 am
They're not going to hassle me over a missing n in Franklin's first name. Don't be silly.
I did a little research because I wanted to make a joke about Bejamin being a different name, but lo and behold, it is actually a different name!

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-b ... 508075.htm

That's what happens when the parents have a cold when they tell the maternity nurse the name....
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:52 pm
I did a little research because I wanted to make a joke about Bejamin being a different name, but lo and behold, it is actually a different name!

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-b ... 508075.htm
I've also done a bit of research, and the following information has been culled from various sites:

The name "Bejamin" is most popular in China and Nigeria, and was first recorded in the USA in 1871. Its peak popularity here was between 1981 and 1988, when it was consistently among the top 3000 boys' names, but it has not cracked this milestone since. However, "Bejamin is currently topping the baby name charts in California at position #2,250 - and is the least popular in California at position #2,250." The name spelled backwards is Nimajeb, and a random rearrangement of the letters in the name (anagram) will give "Jbenaim".

Although the name is of unknown origin or meaning, "your name of Bejamin has created a most expressive nature, idealistic and inspirational, driven with a strong inner urge to be of service in some way that would uplift humanity as a whole". Alas, though, "There is 0 personality with the first name Bejamin" and on a scale of 1-5, it is rated 0.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pmand a random rearrangement of the letters in the name (anagram) will give "Jbenaim".
That reminds me of when a local five-and-dime called Ben Franklin closed, and their sign was changed to "Rib Nflannke".
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm The name "Bejamin" is most popular in China
I... don't understand this in the slightest.

My wife and I had a real hard time coming up with a baby name for our son, born two years ago. If I had even thought of "Bejamin" it would have made it onto the list.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:05 am
Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm The name "Bejamin" is most popular in China
I... don't understand this in the slightest.

My wife and I had a real hard time coming up with a baby name for our son, born two years ago. If I had even thought of "Bejamin" it would have made it onto the list.
Because in China, everyone be jammin'.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never met a Bejamin. For that matter, never met anyone who went by Benjamin, just Ben.

The problem on the Roman numerals is that I couldn’t see the clue after Alex read it. Had it been a DD, I could stop the tape and easily figure it out. But after the Canadian province anagram the other day I guess it was too much to ask.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pmThe name spelled backwards is Nimajeb
. . . and “Franklin” spelled backwards is Nilknarf.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.