2020 in review and what's in store for 2021

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: 2020 in review and what's in store for 2021

Post by ParrotRob »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:30 am
ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:00 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:36 am I think that they wouldn't want Ken (or Brad, James, Pam, Colby, etc.) as the permanent host because that would make a whole lot of serious trivia players ineligible to be on the show.
One could make a pretty good argument that recent history suggests they're not exactly after a "whole lot of serious trivia players".
In that same argument, would you also mention "they took what they could get just to put on a show"?
I'd give you partial credit for that one. With a small handful of notable exceptions, the dearth of talent has been around much longer than the need to just put on a show at any cost. And the flip side of that is, even though it IS Southern California, I can't believe there's not more local talent than they've been mining this season.
--
Drowning in the pool
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:49 am
triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:30 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:36 am I think that they wouldn't want Ken (or Brad, James, Pam, Colby, etc.) as the permanent host because that would make a whole lot of serious trivia players ineligible to be on the show.
One could make a pretty good argument that recent history suggests they're not exactly after a "whole lot of serious trivia players".
In that same argument, would you also mention "they took what they could get just to put on a show"?
I'd give you partial credit for that one. With a small handful of notable exceptions, the dearth of talent has been around much longer than the need to just put on a show at any cost. And the flip side of that is, even though it IS Southern California, I can't believe there's not more local talent than they've been mining this season.
I'll give you partial credit as well.

Don't forget, the pool is segregated.

Someone else can do the math here, but we know they see 2500 people a year who go into the pool for 18 months.

I'm thinking with a rolling calendar, as many who drown are equally replaced by new people getting wet, so it remains constant at 2500. I also think if I'm wrong about that, there would be maximum capacity of the pool at 3750 people? We also right now have the situation of people who were froze in the pool, so that will skew the numbers for a while.

Either way, you need to remember that the middle-aged white guys are in their own pool, while everyone else is swimming together in another pool.

This dearth of talent they see is overwhelmingly the MAWGS, and they can't all be on the show or we wouldn't see the diversity of players on TV.

The show also can't put every James Holzhauer type on, the budget would be blown.

Also to consider is how not everyone that is good enough to pass the test, and lucky enough to get randomly drawn to audition, will have an interview that makes the contestant coordinators feel they will be good on TV.

I used to interview horribly, looking back I can easily see why I wasn't picked for years. All the auditions I've been on over the years, I've seen plenty of bad interviews, especially now that I can see the difference.

Finally, there is what potential players put on their papers. If there is something on there keeping them from being on the show, they might not realize it. There is also the portion where you are asked about yourself, and if you can't think of anything interesting about yourself, the producers sure aren't going to take the time to dig deeper on you.

So, yes, in some ways they are not going to put on a "whole lot of serious trivia players", but there are reasons behind that; but not because the show doesn't know who they are or can't find them.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

On another note, production will resume on January 11th. We know the show opened to contestants from the rest of the US in December, but with whatever rules are in place...maybe the show will put up those velvet ropes again?
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by gameshowfandanny »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:43 pm On another note, production will resume on January 11th. We know the show opened to contestants from the rest of the US in December, but with whatever rules are in place...maybe the show will put up those velvet ropes again?
Are you saying the first tapings of 2021 are on January 11?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:48 am
A number of us who auditioned at Trivia Nationals in 2019 came to pretty much the same conclusion.
I remember seeing the list of names for follow up auditions on FB and thinking basically the same thing. What they should do is take the top 10 of those names, and just have an absolutely stacked week. Drop them in 2 at a time over 5 days and have a week of battles. Sure it's unfair, but no more so than just ignoring them entirely.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:11 pm

Either way, you need to remember that the middle-aged white guys are in their own pool, while everyone else is swimming together in another pool.
Remember? I didn't know that was a "thing", so how could I "remember" it? Is this a documented "thing", or a speculated "thing"? :shock:
--
Drowning in the pool
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:06 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:43 pm On another note, production will resume on January 11th. We know the show opened to contestants from the rest of the US in December, but with whatever rules are in place...maybe the show will put up those velvet ropes again?
From what I’ve seen, that is the current schedule.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm

Remember? I didn't know that was a "thing", so how could I "remember" it? Is this a documented "thing", or a speculated "thing"? :shock:
You know as well as I do the show wants diversity in contestants and that is how they achieve it.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:54 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm

You know as well as I do the show wants diversity in contestants and that is how they achieve it.
I think that's a pretty heady allegation that I'd just as soon not be part of discussing in a public forum. If it's all the same to you, I'll just go on naively assuming we all compete on equal footing. Thanks.
--
Drowning in the pool
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm
And do you know when the shows taping that day will air and whether they are continuing the usual five shows a day? Mike Richards said in this interview with CNN the day Alex died, that for Alex's last week, they did three shows on one day and two on the second day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRbbscUYSU
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:11 pm Also to consider is how not everyone that is good enough to pass the test, and lucky enough to get randomly drawn to audition, will have an interview that makes the contestant coordinators feel they will be good on TV.

I used to interview horribly, looking back I can easily see why I wasn't picked for years. All the auditions I've been on over the years, I've seen plenty of bad interviews, especially now that I can see the difference.
A tad off topic, but the interview is the big reason why I've decided to not take the test in the last 7 years and ultimately decided not to apply for any game shows at all, including J!. My personality is somewhat fueled by my autism, and I tend to be a very good person at saying the wrong things at important points. (I went 35 months unemployed, applied for 725-ish jobs, got 13 interviews and 0 offers. I can tell my personality is grating and the wrong kind.) Also, I tend to be unable to come up with complete sentences in a row when speaking vocally, resulting in a vocal mess where I can only remember certain words I want to say, even if it's clear in my brain. I wouldn't pass the interview process. I also just lack the energy. You would see me on J! with no smiles, almost a nervous personality. I don't fit what most modern game shows are looking for.

Besides, there are a lot people smarter than my below average IQ personality out there who deserve a chance.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:15 pm
I think that's a pretty heady allegation that I'd just as soon not be part of discussing in a public forum. If it's all the same to you, I'll just go on naively assuming we all compete on equal footing. Thanks.
Based on my audition in 2017, women and minority candidates definitely measured up in ability. Of course they want telegenic candidates, and that's always going to be subjective. :|
Golf

Post by Golf »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm Remember? I didn't know that was a "thing", so how could I "remember" it? Is this a documented "thing", or a speculated "thing"? :shock:
Just look at the stats when WWTBAM with Regis chose their contestants via solely the phone game. Jeopardy doesn't want 75-80% male contestants so they adjust accordingly.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

DBear wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:20 pm
Based on my audition in 2017, women and minority candidates definitely measured up in ability. Of course they want telegenic candidates, and that's always going to be subjective. :|
That's kind of what I thought, too. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here.
--
Drowning in the pool
clprez

Post by clprez »

Have they indicated yet how long Ken will host and who are the subsequent interim hosts?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:13 pm

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm Remember? I didn't know that was a "thing", so how could I "remember" it? Is this a documented "thing", or a speculated "thing"? :shock:
Just look at the stats when WWTBAM with Regis chose their contestants via solely the phone game. Jeopardy doesn't want 75-80% male contestants so they adjust accordingly.
I remember Regis openly urging minorities to phone in because there were only whites on the show for a long time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

clprez wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:39 am
Have they indicated yet how long Ken will host and who are the subsequent interim hosts?
Have they even filmed any new episodes since November? I've been reading the holiday hiatus for scripted TV is being extended but not sure when it started, or if shows like J! would be included in that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:55 pm
DBear wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:20 pm
That's kind of what I thought, too. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here.
I have a feeling you might be reading what I wrote as "women and minorities don't measure up to MAWGs in ability". That is not at all what I meant or tried to imply.

My point was the makeup of those who take and pass the test, especially those who were at Trivia Nationals, are overwhelmingly MAWGs, and the same happens in the overall pool of potential contestants.

Look at the people who do get on the show, and you can see that it is not overwhelmingly MAWGs - this is the show balancing that out, and why I said the pool was segregated.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

clprez wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:39 am
all I've seen is resumption of taping on 1/11, nothing else about what that will look like. With COVID, everything can change at any time, so I'm not saying this is going to happen or not happen, just passing on what I've seen.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:11 pm Also to consider is how not everyone that is good enough to pass the test, and lucky enough to get randomly drawn to audition, will have an interview that makes the contestant coordinators feel they will be good on TV.

A tad off topic, but the interview is the big reason why I've decided to not take the test in the last 7 years and ultimately decided not to apply for any game shows at all, including J!. My personality is somewhat fueled by my autism, and I tend to be a very good person at saying the wrong things at important points. (I went 35 months unemployed, applied for 725-ish jobs, got 13 interviews and 0 offers. I can tell my personality is grating and the wrong kind.) Also, I tend to be unable to come up with complete sentences in a row when speaking vocally, resulting in a vocal mess where I can only remember certain words I want to say, even if it's clear in my brain. I wouldn't pass the interview process. I also just lack the energy. You would see me on J! with no smiles, almost a nervous personality. I don't fit what most modern game shows are looking for.

Besides, there are a lot people smarter than my below average IQ personality out there who deserve a chance.
to quote someone well respected in the trivia community, but I won't name here: "I wouldn't be surprised to see if most of us who attend TCONA would test somewhere on the Autism spectrum".

You are far from alone in the trivia world.