Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm Poll request on the fashion designer DD. My train of thought was not even in the right universe, and judging from Brayden's response, neither was his. That one struck me as one that would have been tough even as a FJ.
I immediately thought of architecture but "collections" brought me right back to the runway. Plus, Louis Vuitton is a noted fashion house!

Instaget FJ, but only because this fact came up in a fairly recent DD, and I was gobsmacked to learn the name Carolina derives from Charles

I had a sloppy game but at least I got a lot of the trash that the kids left out.

Kelly Clarkson? I was surprised by that stand and stare
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I don't know her story, but if Molly had an option of doing the College Championship and opted for the regular game, props for that!

Actually, now that I think of it she may have taken the shot to be on with Alex.

"Celine Dion" was a WAG for me, but it seemed plausible given the year

Something that occurred to me--what's the procedure if a wrongly-ruled-correct response that's not discovered until a few clues later enables a player to get the Daily Double? Do they go back and replay from that point? What do they do about the fact that the DD's location has been revealed? They could just move it to another random location, but that would still upset the balance somewhat because of all the (now-revealed) clues it can't be.

Not going to pull the trigger on this litmus paper coin-toss

I have literally never seen it spelled "Ojibway" and that "Ojibwe" could be spelled that way never crossed my mind

Way to go Manisha! Rooting for you to be the final champion of the Trebek era.

Coryat: $39,800

J: 23R5P. Missed DD (had no clue, racking my brain to think of what LVMH might stand for in case there's a clue there but no luck). 5/5 on Condiments and Happenings. 4/4 on Maps. 4/5 on No. 1 Hit.

DJ: 20R6P. 1/2 on DDs (knew Selective Service easily, couldn't make the connection with Carrie). 5/5 on Law. 4/4 on Colorful Science. 3/4 on Norwegians. 3/5 on Oy.

FJ: Instaget

LT: Road map, Hegira, Yesterday, Yellow Dwarf, green algae, redshift, Ghostbusters
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Congrats to Brayden on a great run. Ghostbusters was nearly the key to a runaway game, oddly enough.

FJ had me lost looking to make two Carolinas fit in one slot while Georgia took up space. Rough.

If you know your Jeopardy history, tonight’s game came with a free $800!

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=267
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:53 pmPeople's exhibit A was the 50/50/90 he took on guessing a Pole. Molly managed to make it a 3-sided coin by adding Everest to the mix.
I 50/50/100 that every time (meaning I always pick the wrong explorer or the wrong pole, and somehow never manage to get them both wrong and cancel out the wrongness).
mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pmMy train of thought was not even in the right universe, and judging from Brayden's response, neither was his.
The mention of Euro in the clue threw me so far off course that all I could think of was coin collecting.
TriviaBug wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:46 pm - I'd bet a lot of money that a large percentage of people would have said "haj" for "hegira"
- The Texas annual event, I thought a specific name was needed instead of the generic "state fair"
- IMO "Ojibwe" is a more familiar spelling than "ojibway"
- The "like" 1K clue that Brayden got with "some" - I needed two readings to understand what was being asked
- I also said hajj
- I also thought a more specific event
- I tend to see "Ojibwa" more than either, but I have seen "Ojibway" enough times to get it
- I've reread the $600-$1000 clues in that category and I still don't understand what is being asked in any of them
econgator wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm How do three very intelligent people not know what color the sun is?
For some reason it never occurred to me that the color names for stars like "red dwarf" and "yellow dwarf" were literal reflections of the color. I mean, are white grapes actually white?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm [Playing from the archive] I got this FJ! right pretty quickly, but I first had to persuade myself that they weren't going for one of the Carolinas and New York (named for James II, brother of Charles II, who was Duke of York before becoming king). Then I decided that there was no way it could be just one of the Carolinas, and so had to be both.
If someone had written down NY and one of the Carolinas, would that be considered correct?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm Archive playthrough:

Coryat $29,000 (35R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $5200 + FJ = 4th podium win

Man alive, these boards were tough. I felt like I was playing TOC Finals boards. I feel bad for Brayden that he got taken out by them.

I am a little surprised that FJ was a TS, though.

Poll request on the fashion designer DD. My train of thought was not even in the right universe, and judging from Brayden's response, neither was his. That one struck me as one that would have been tough even as a FJ.
Probably didn’t help they just had three conversations about collecting “things”.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm How do three very intelligent people not know what color the sun is?
Too much time inside studying for Jeopardy! Should've taken a breather and walked around the big blue room for a minute or two. :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm I usually do well in grammar categories, but Adverbs from $600 down was a total word salad to me. I couldn't at all grasp what the clues were even trying to say. I've never heard anyone say "driving near 50 miles an hour" or a variant thereof.
Some. They wanted "had to drive SOME 50 miles". I said "near" and I think they'd have accepted that along with "like".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm Some. They wanted "had to drive SOME 50 miles". I said "near" and I think they'd have accepted that along with "like".
I've never heard anyone say any of those except "like", then.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

*pushes glasses up nose* The sun's light is actually white once you get out of the atmosphere ok!!!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

For the "Texas event", there is at least one more correct answer, and possibly more. While the accepted answer was "state fair", by which I assumed the contestant meant the Texas State Fair, there is also the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, AKA HLSR. It meets all the qualifications:

Clue: "The prize steer at this annual Texas event routinely sells for 6 figures in the Youth Livestock Auction"

HLSR:
* It's held annually, in Feb/March
* It's in TX
* It has a youth livestock auction, with a prize steer
* It routinely goes for 6 figures. Last year was $367,000.

Am I missing something, or would this also be accepted?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: maps (4), Colorful Science (4), Of the Law, Norwegians (4) :)
Daily Doubles: :? (Joined mas3cf in finding the clue incomprehensible, guessing lawyers), :D :D
trash: roadmap, yesterday, yellow dwarf, green algae, red shift, Ghostbusters (how in the world is this a TS? :o ),
FJ: Said "The Carolinas" :mrgreen:
judges: near for some--adverbs :?:

hegira was a horrible clue. Who's not going to be negbaited with hajj? :x
Was Brayden trying to say Eton? Recorded in the archives as Eden. :idea:
Last edited by DBear on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm ...
Was Brayden trying to say Eton? Recorded in the archives as Eden.
No idea and went with the CC. I did the same with Wolff.

Brayden: Help, please.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:33 pm
    opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm Some. They wanted "had to drive SOME 50 miles". I said "near" and I think they'd have accepted that along with "like".
    I've never heard anyone say any of those except "like", then.
    I said “near” as well.

Also, the R in RICO stands for “racketeer,” not “racketeering.”
    Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm Was Brayden trying to say Eton?
    That's what I thought it was, and it certainly would have been an in-the-vicinity response to the clue.
    econgator
    Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:27 pm
    DBear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm Was Brayden trying to say Eton?
    That's what I thought it was, and it certainly would have been an in-the-vicinity response to the clue.
    Was definitely Eton.
    Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm
    Foretopman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm [Playing from the archive] I got this FJ! right pretty quickly, but I first had to persuade myself that they weren't going for one of the Carolinas and New York (named for James II, brother of Charles II, who was Duke of York before becoming king). Then I decided that there was no way it could be just one of the Carolinas, and so had to be both.
    If someone had written down NY and one of the Carolinas, would that be considered correct?
    That's really splitting hairs there. New York is named in honor of the Duke of York. Yes, he eventually became king, but he wasn't at the time. Obviously, we'll never know how they would have ruled.
    Lefty

Post by Lefty »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm
    hegira was a horrible clue. Who's not going to be negbaited with hajj? :x
    Was Brayden trying to say Eton? Recorded in the archives as Eden. :idea:
    The Battle of Jericho was won on the playing fields of Eden.

Nothing wrong with the hegira clue. It was appropriate for the bottom row (unlike "what color is the sun?").

Remember "Lewis Carroll" was derived from "Lutwidge, Charles".
    I'm smart and I want respect.
    jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm
    I immediately had issue with this clue as I was pretty sure I had always heard that NC/SC were named for the same person. Majority of sources seems to indicate this is Charles I, though there are some others that claim Charles II. Very, very few authoritative looking things (that I've been able to find) seem to alllege that the states are named for BOTH Charles I and II, so I'm not sure this clue is factual, even though it is still solvable.

And later reading the post from Foretopman I realized that's another huge flaw, I think a response of NY/NC or NY/SC absolutely shoud be correct. The clue is written in present tense "The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649", it doesn't say "named for a king", so even though the Duke of York wasn't a king when NY was named, I would say New York absolutely honors the person that we now know as James II, so nothing about this clue makes this a wrong answer.
    davey

Post by davey »

astrohip wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:14 pm For the "Texas event", there is at least one more correct answer, and possibly more. While the accepted answer was "state fair", by which I assumed the contestant meant the Texas State Fair, there is also the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, AKA HLSR. It meets all the qualifications:

Clue: "The prize steer at this annual Texas event routinely sells for 6 figures in the Youth Livestock Auction"

HLSR:
    * It's held annually, in Feb/March
    * It's in TX
    * It has a youth livestock auction, with a prize steer
    * It routinely goes for 6 figures. Last year was $367,000.

Am I missing something, or would this also be accepted?
    Works for me...But I don't know what's "generic," per other posters, about the "Texas State Fair," aka the "State Fair of Texas." That's the name...
    I almost said opaquey before the right word came to me.... :oops:
    I was glad they recognized that "like" was an adverb, since it allowed me to take "near."
    I will miss Alex's post-:30 hints. It took "both states have the same name" for me to see the right responses. Obvious in retrospect, though "a king and his father" made me sure I needed 2 first names.
    Last edited by davey on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Bamaman
    Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FWIW, Wikipedia says both Carolinas are named for Charles I.