Thursday, January 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lstone19
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, January 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by lstone19 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:00 pm For the record, the four songs are Aquarius, Let The Sunshine In, Easy to Be Hard, and Good Morning Starshine. Sing along with the Fifth Dimension!
The Fifth Dimension released Aquarius and Let the Sunshine In as one song. Wikipedia says the fourth song was Hair (recorded by the Cowsills).

And a thumbs up to your lyric quote from the song!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:00 pm The soundtrack of the movie, or the cast album of the musical?
Cast album.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm hard to get above sea-level, Dutch-sounding name, WECIB.
At the very least it could be any Scandinavian countries. Or possibly South Africa, which has double A's all over the place.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Nice to at least have one instafinal this week, but it doesn't make up for me blanking on Larry Hagman and Gregory Hines. Those stung, especially as a big fan of the latter :oops:
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

A little sad to hear Alex mention at the start of the show that "Jeopardy remains the same" on today's show when discussing how Christmas is so different with technology and shopping online. Anyone else get a little chill from that?

Like for many hear, FJ! was an instaget. Doesn't hurt that I'm the right sign, and that I literally lugged some bottled water today from grocery shopping.

My Duolingo Japanese lessons helped me with kirigami - the verb "kiru" means to cut, while you can probably guess now that "oru" means "to fold". And "gami" is a consonant change from "kami", which means "paper".

For the life of me, I will never know why I always say "Gregory Peck" when I mean "Gregory Hines".

Embarrassing error that I caught in time - when Larry Hagman popped up, I immediately went "Gerald Ford". I mean, the category TELEVISION obviously should have steered me away, but by the time Alex got to "astronaut", I'd straighted out my response.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Yoshie had bet everything on the last DD, she would have led Tracy $16,800 to $16,600 into FJ, but she led $13,800 to $13,400 yesterday and bet $7,000, so who knows, she may have won more today from her second-place comeback than she would have from the lead.

I think I shared an article about Bryson DeChambeau sometime last year, but when I saw the clue about him tonight, all I had was "the guy from that article."

edit: it was a Twitter thread, not an article, and I shared it in September.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

After having last nights episode pre-empted by scenes of sedition, it was good to get back to the calm presence of Alex. It’s still so hard for me to fathom that mere days after this episode taped he was dead. Yes, there are a few signs of ill health visible, but I am in awe of his ability to project an air of business as usual to the proceedings.

I thought that all three contestants showed that they belonged on that stage, not something that I’ve always been able to say this season. Yoshie was fortunate that her all-in FJ wager paid off. Pretty easy FJ for anyone older than 30.

And Mark B: I would have picked you up on DeChambeau too :mrgreen:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

lstone19 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:16 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:00 pm For the record, the four songs are Aquarius, Let The Sunshine In, Easy to Be Hard, and Good Morning Starshine. Sing along with the Fifth Dimension!
The Fifth Dimension released Aquarius and Let the Sunshine In as one song. Wikipedia says the fourth song was Hair (recorded by the Cowsills).

And a thumbs up to your lyric quote from the song!
Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In is two songs but one recording track. So that means there were five songs from the musical that made the charts.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:47 pmIf I had a nickel for every time I've ridden in a car with my dad or grandfather at the helm and asking, "How many do you think are dead there?" when passing the slew of visible tombstones...

It was always good for a family chuckle, "All of them!"
With my dad--assassinated by pancreatic cancer in 2017--the line driving past a cemetery was "People are just dying to get in there."
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:47 pmYay, another football stumper clue. Hope the SNF guys are watching. If I was Al I would tease his partner on air for the next televised game.
It's a fun thought, but those two may not be on air again till next September. Do any playoff games get the SNF slot? And now having looked it up, I see there's a game Saturday night between Tampa Bay and Washington on NBC, so who knows?

I'm not a huge fan of Al Michaels, but this board may not be the ideal space to reproduce the lengthy letter I wrote William Safire back in 2003 after Michaels on air enlisted the eminent grammarian in correcting the late Howard Cosell's use of the word "sublimate."
In and out of the pool four times
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:00 pm The soundtrack of the movie, or the cast album of the musical?
Cast album.
I've got both, plus a collection called "DisinHAIRited" consisting of songs that were over time taken out of the show.

The off-Broadway cast album on vinyl was the first album I ever bought with my own money. (That's limiting it to "grown-up" records; I'm sure I bought some Chipmunks albums before that.)
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm
What was the TOM for Portugal in Queens for $200?
The mention of the Iberian Peninsula limits the choice to two countries - Spain and Portugal. The mention of Brazil pins it.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 pm NHO Robert Baratheon. That seemed like an opaque TOM in the top box.

What was the TOM for Portugal in Queens for $200?

0/5 in Jocks.

Ran Mythology and Science & Math.

Any reason I should know where Vaalsenberg is? That sounds like it could be anywhere.

Musical + 1968 + astrological = ??? I know "Age of Aquarius" and I know Hair. I couldn't tell you anything at all about Hair.
Brazil
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Have only seen "Hair" once, about a decade ago, but ended up on stage for the finale along with most of the rest of the audience. That made FJ a cinch today. I've been delaying the inevitable and pretending AT would just keep on chugging along. Friday will be surreal when it finally ends.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Didn't we just have a clue about the John Updike "Rabbit" series, or was is in one of the repeats?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

reddpen wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:48 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:47 pmIf I had a nickel for every time I've ridden in a car with my dad or grandfather at the helm and asking, "How many do you think are dead there?" when passing the slew of visible tombstones...

It was always good for a family chuckle, "All of them!"
With my dad--assassinated by pancreatic cancer in 2017--the line driving past a cemetery was "People are just dying to get in there."
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:47 pmYay, another football stumper clue. Hope the SNF guys are watching. If I was Al I would tease his partner on air for the next televised game.
It's a fun thought, but those two may not be on air again till next September. Do any playoff games get the SNF slot? And now having looked it up, I see there's a game Saturday night between Tampa Bay and Washington on NBC, so who knows?

I'm not a huge fan of Al Michaels, but this board may not be the ideal space to reproduce the lengthy letter I wrote William Safire back in 2003 after Michaels on air enlisted the eminent grammarian in correcting the late Howard Cosell's use of the word "sublimate."
There have been tweaks to the playoff schedule in recent years. This year NBC has two games on Wild Card weekend, both in primetime due to the field being expanded. Saturday night will have Mike Tirico and Tony Dungy on the call while Sunday night will have Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth. NBC also does one of the four Divisional Round Games so Al and Cris will have one more game next week. (though it won't be Sunday in primetime)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:09 am Didn't we just have a clue about the John Updike "Rabbit" series, or was is in one of the repeats?
It was the 2017 repeat that aired last Friday. DD1:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5518
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

I thought it was highly inappropriate of Yoshie to bring up a story about cemeteries when Alex was in the condition he was in. It made my skin crawl.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

PeteMoss wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm I thought it was highly inappropriate of Yoshie to bring up a story about cemeteries when Alex was in the condition he was in. It made my skin crawl.
This seems a bit hindsight 20/20 to me. Yes, Yoshie knew Alex had cancer. She certainly wouldn't have known he'd be dead by the time this show aired.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:22 pm
PeteMoss wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm I thought it was highly inappropriate of Yoshie to bring up a story about cemeteries when Alex was in the condition he was in. It made my skin crawl.
This seems a bit hindsight 20/20 to me. Yes, Yoshie knew Alex had cancer. She certainly wouldn't have known he'd be dead by the time this show aired.
Is was on her list of topics. Alex didn’t have to ask her about it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 am Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In is two songs but one recording track. So that means there were five songs from the musical that made the charts.
Well, more like 4¼, based on how much of "Let the Sun Shine In (The Flesh Failures)" is actually included in that Fifth Dimension song.

But, yes, the clue would have been more technically correct if it had said "4 songs taken from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10..."