Friday, January 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, January 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:55 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 pm Good get by Yoshie on New South Wales. A nice present to Alex on his last day to have a contestant who knows Canadian geography. :D
Ummmm, what?
Get off my hook. Don't make me throw you back.
opusthepenguin

Re: Friday, January 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOIL

Post by opusthepenguin »

yclept wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:45 amJeopardy isn’t made for a larger than life host, though you need to know when to mix in the humor and when to be straight laced.
Or, as Alex might point out, strait-laced. Well put.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:59 pm I went with "isomer" for Final. Turns out it's from the Greek for equal + share.
I couldn't decide between the two until I made the connection with "topography."
I bet the writers expected players to get it from Utopia, famously coined from the Greek for "no place". I would have thought that Greek for "equal" is less well known, except in certain fields like meteorology and economics.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:23 pm It will be interesting to see what they do with the opening credits Monday.
It will also be interesting to see how long the "Forever in our hearts, always our inspiration" card continues to be displayed at the end of the show. I'm guessing at least the rest of the current season.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:25 am Evidently, Discontinuity was a stumper and not Solzhenitsyn. Seems like Mark made a boo boo, but I checked the Archive again and it is fixed now.
Discontinuity was an instaget for me. As far as I'm concerned, there's no other word that can possibly follow Mohorovicic.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:59 pm I went with "isomer" for Final. Turns out it's from the Greek for equal + share.
I couldn't decide between the two until I made the connection with "topography."
I bet the writers expected players to get it from Utopia, famously coined from the Greek for "no place". I would have thought that Greek for "equal" is less well known, except in certain fields like meteorology and economics.
I had the opposite thought: to me, the Greek for "equal" was the easier part. It comes up in words like isomer, isotope, isobar, isotherm, isohel, isosceles, isostatic, isoelectric.... that said, the lion's share of those are science words, and I am a scientist so I might be biased. :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Anyone who knows what a weather map will know isobars and isotherms, and the rest was easy.

I hope for Will Wegman's sake that he lives nowhere near Yoshie.

Sad to see it end, of course. I can't say much more than he will be sorely missed.

I love this picture of him clowning around on the beach at the Galapagos, with Kelly unaware of what was going on behind her (until she was clued in). That's Alex to me.

Trebek on the Beach.png
Trebek on the Beach.png (486.01 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

The game: sorry to see Cliff lose on that DD wager, but it was a gutsy move and he probably glides to a win if he gets it.

Got Alex’s final final with plenty of time but little confidence. Happy to end this horrid week (in many ways) with a correct response.

The rest: It was a sad night in this home as I’m sure it was everywhere else. The tribute was well done. I always thought Alex would go forever, and the lag between his death and his last episode let us keep the illusion for a while longer.

To second some earlier comments, one day I hope Jeopardy is broadcast from the Alex Trebek Studio on the Johnny Gilbert Set — like in college basketball. Name the set and the floor for the show’s nearly four-decade mainstays.

I have always been a Ken fan and of course I’ll keep watching. But an era ended today and it will never be matched.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Deciding between isomer and isotope. Went the wrong way.

RIP Alex.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:44 am
I had the opposite thought: to me, the Greek for "equal" was the easier part. It comes up in words like isomer, isotope, isobar, isotherm, isohel, isosceles, isostatic, isoelectric.... that said, the lion's share of those are science words, and I am a scientist so I might be biased. :lol:
The sense of topos as place also shows up in far more words than topography. We’ve got topology, ectopic and topic itself.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:44 am
Was I the only one where 'basic' was the biggest hit? That was some tortured wording to avoid the word 'element'...and what are different forms of the same element? Isotopes. Etymology then confirmed it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:19 pm https://youtu.be/cam71ti_lHk
Showoff. I already posted a link to video of this but I'm not a big mucky muck mod so the video doesn't appear inline in my post. You have to click on the link and go offsite.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Aw, man. I hit Ctrl+F and searched for "sorry" in the thread before bothering grabbing the clip and uploading it to YouTube. I also searched YouTube and reddit first. Somehow my search did not find your mention. I would not have done this if I had seen yours. And take my word for it that I tried!

Chalk it up to GMTA.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Okay, I just went back and searched again to figure out why I didn't find yours. You went with an interesting spelling of "sorry".
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Opus, I tweaked a forum permissions setting that may have given less-muckities like yourself the ability to have videos embedded when you post the links. Can you try yours again to test it?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:56 pm I second Bob’s motion. “From the Alex Trebek Studio, this...is...Jeopardy!.
Multiple thumbs up for that intro.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:55 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 pm Good get by Yoshie on New South Wales. A nice present to Alex on his last day to have a contestant who knows Canadian geography. :D
Ummmm, what?
I'm glad you said it. I'm guessing some ancient inside joke that neither you nor I am getting.
--
Drowning in the pool
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:15 pm
I had a very empty feeling when it was over.
Yeah. That.

:cry:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:15 pm I end the Alex era with no guess on FJ.
For me the last FJ of the era was an insta-red-herring. I wrote down "isomer" and stared at it for 20+ seconds before having my "ah-hah!" moment just in time to draw my line through "mer" and replace it with "tope."