Monday, January 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:15 pm
For you to only discover tonight that Ken does not have the "pipes" of Alex surprises me since Ken has played so many games of J!
I certainly had noticed it but it wasn't front-and-center in my mind until Ken became the host. Alex's authoritative voice was definitely part of the Jeopardy experience. Bob Barker's authoritative voice was less essential to The Price is Right experience and I guess it doesn't matter that Drew's voice is higher.

Have you noticed how similar in pitch the voices of Barack Obama and Donald Trump are?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

My dad wanted Holzhauer to subhost. Great first episode for Jennings otherwise. He seemed pretty good.

8/10 (B)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

alamble wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 pm
AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:43 pm It was so weird not Having Alex as the Host but i thought Ken did Fairly well. i thought he may have been reading the clue a little too quickly, but the contestants understood him and thats all that matters.
This is where Ken's extensive experience moderating NAQT matches was made most clear; they burn through questions lickety-split and you tend to get dinged by the team coaches in your reviews if you aren't reading fast enough. I would expect the majority of the boards to be cleared while Ken is at the helm.
Ditto this, a hundred percent. Ken really came off as quizbowl moderator tonight. Whether or not he grows into it remains to be seen, although I think it’s very possible.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm Ken was easily a 7/10 as host if not higher. We saw all the clues and Ken did well with the chat segment to demonstrate he can work his own brand of humor into that part of the show.
Great start. Of course it's impossible to not compare him to Alex and it felt like he was rushing a bit, but he'll calm down. Of course a positive to his rapid-fire approach is they got through all the clues easily!

Not knowing much Spanish probably helped me on this FJ. I've heard Las Vegas is "the meadows," so that was really all I needed to get there.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Well done, KJ.

I suppose there was some unnatural delivery that might be based on nerves, etc.., but I think he is within 90% of where he will end up after he gets his sea legs (we did have an idiom category :lol:). As he did his opening tribute, I paused it to ask twelvefootgirl if he was reading it from a cue card, but I'm sure he had it committed to memory. The rest of his game, I think his delivery was just a little forced to make sure his diction and enunciation were perfect, which they absolutely were. I have always dealt with foreign nationals, and I speak to them without running on words and pronouncing all the sounds - they much appreciate it! (I did catch myself saying "gonna" lately :evil: ). Anyway, conversational English is a nightmare, and I am amazed that anyone can comprehend English as a second language.

On FJ, I got tangled up with The Hills are Alive and then RTFA to see it was a "title" song. I have a decent Spanish vocabulary, but didn't know Vegas meant meadow. Nonetheless, it was WECIB for 1964, and a hit song/ not so hit movie. Plus, Elvis married the twelvefootcouple at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel in 2001, and it was one of our 3 song package. So there's that 8-) .

Since there is no minutiae too minute for this board, did anyone else have an issue with the timing of the closed captions? On our feed, the response was displayed before the clue was answered - maybe about a five second jump start. I don't know if these things are pre-loaded and synced, or our DirecTV feed is just roached. I verified that last week's eps were normal, and they were also our DirecTV feed.
floridagator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:26 pm
Have you noticed how similar in pitch the voices of Barack Obama and Donald Trump are?
I haven't noticed BHO/DJT, but I do hear BHO when Biden speaks, but without the pregnant pauses.
I think BHO voice is a little softer and has a deeper undertone than DJT,who tends to be more animated, but they well could be just a tone apart. This is the domain of TPH.
As someone with terrible pipes, I usually notice people's voices. I'm amazed my baby granddaughter can go to sleep with my Missouri Waltz, which is an awful song, even sung on pitch and in time :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

There's something about this forum and the homophone categories. It's a frequent issue.

Ken did really well. The game should be fast paced. That's part of the fun. I thought he read much faster in the game today than he did as a guest presenter in earlier episodes.

Tanay played really well.

I missed FJ and a lot of other clues. This will be a good one for me to study.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ParrotRob wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 pm Also, repel and rappel are homophones? Ok.
Yes, at least according to Oxford.

re·pel
/rəˈpel/

rap·pel
/rəˈpel/
Yeah, I guess it's just in the way I say it. Repel is close to ruh-pel, whereas rappel is more like rah-pel.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Good win by Tanay. I feel like I’ve seen that FJ question somewhere recently. Not great first night. It seemed like tryout ken chuckled at the 3rd contestants wrong answer. He spoke too fast but also like he had a donut stuck in his throat.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

In this game, I was reminded of a game earlier this season in which Marni Nixon was mentioned for the first time ever. It was a pleasant surprise to see a clue about Keith Haring, one of my favorite artists, who had been mentioned only twice before in Jeopardy history. As a young lad, I remember getting a kick out of pictures of his cartoon stick figures that a coworker of my mother had in her office.

FJ took some sussing out, but I remembered the $200 clue in this game: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6581
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pmThis is the domain of TPH
I've spent four years trying NOT to listen to Trump's voice...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 pm
I would say in another week you don’t have to worry about it but I suspect you will hear him a lot more the next four years.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

The Columbus affiliate pre-empted the show for an Ohio State football special, so I had to wait until the middle of the night to watch it.

I thought Ken did a pretty good job. J! posted a video in which Ken said the best advice he got was from his wife. To paraphrase, don't compare yourself to Alex, think about how you did and how Alex did on his first show. Good advice for us as well. For a first show, it was good.

I found myself through most of the first segment listening to Ken's voice and cadence instead of paying attention to the clues. It's weird because Ken's voice is so much different than Alex's. I didn't notice that he was reading faster, as others have said, but I did notice him varying the ways he indicated a correct response. You want enough of those that it's not monotonous, but not so many to be ridiculous. He struck a good balance.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ken did a solid job in his first episode. There is no doubt that he played it “straight”, but we know from watching him play that he can be whimsical. I expect to see more of his personality come out in his clue reading as the days go by. It is impossible to really compare his or anyone’s style to Alex’s.

For those who love seeing all 60 clues get played, Ken will probably get through the material quicker, though he didn’t have to deal with celebrities reading answers or other categories that tend to slow the game down. It also helps that there wasn’t any long stretches of “stand and stare” clues.

I always felt that Alex wasn’t a big fan of the interview section - Ken appears as if he will be a bit more engaged in the stories...whereas Alex would often give a quick “alright...” after many interviews.

I have wondered if any of the guest hosts would be more into the strategic wagering elements of the game. Perhaps strategic wagering talk doesn’t appeal to the average fan, though. Anyway, this was another example of where going the True DD route in the Jeopardy round is rarely a bad strategy.

Overall, no major complaints. He let the game breathe, didn’t try to bring attention to himself, and kept things moving.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

On a scale of "Never Watch Again" to "Won't Affect My Viewing One Bit", Ken was absolutely at the far end of the "Won't Affect". I thought his pace was fine, and yes his voice is a bit high. That's easy enough to adjust if you want to put in the effort. My radio voice was deeper than my normal speaking voice (though not to extremes). His tribute at the beginning was nicely done. He generally acquitted himself admirably.
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:21 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 pm Also, repel and rappel are homophones? Ok.

re·pel
/rəˈpel/

rap·pel
/rəˈpel/
Yeah, I guess it's just in the way I say it. Repel is close to ruh-pel, whereas rappel is more like rah-pel.

Not just you. I do the same.

I enjoyed Ken's hosting much more than I thought I would. I was afraid his voice would be distracting, but I was quickly able to put it in the background and concentrate on the clues. And I think his opening won over a lot of people.

I went about FJ backwards. I immediately had Las Vegas, knowing it meant "the meadows". Then I tried to think of a song with Vegas... came upon the right response, and only then did i think oh yeah, duh, "viva" is "long live". :lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Maybe he will spend a couple of weeks as a guest host at Jeopardy. He's got the time, and he has game show experience from over a decade of hosting The Apprentice. I wonder if his habit of repeating adjectives would be too annoying for Jeopardy. "Covid is a terrible, terrible thing." "No that's very, very wrong. The correct answer is feldspar."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
Maybe he will spend a couple of weeks as a guest host at Jeopardy. He's got the time, and he has game show experience from over a decade of hosting The Apprentice. I wonder if his habit of repeating adjectives would be too annoying for Jeopardy. "Covid is a terrible, terrible thing." "No that's very, very wrong. The correct answer is feldspar."
I like hosts who didn't get impeached.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
I like hosts who didn't get impeached.
... shortly to add 'twice'.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Congrats to Ken for climbing yet another J mountain. He did well for his first time, and was warm and appropriately reverent. Timing at home was strange after becoming SO used to Alex's delivery. Congrats to Tanay for not getting rattled after the early DD wipeout.

Of course it's not the same, and it never will be, but J is better than no J.

1/1 FJ for the new era. I was obsessed with this movie as a kid.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

billiej wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:44 am
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:21 pm

re·pel
/rəˈpel/

rap·pel
/rəˈpel/
Not just you. I do the same.
I'm pretty sure that I say ree-pel a lot of the time, depending on context. I would ree-pel an invasion and use insect ree-pellant. It seems to matter if the verb or noun form is the most important word in the phrase and should be emphasized. I will have to do a self-audit over my next 30 uses. That should take me to the grave, unless I can rehpel the grim reaper :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.