Wednesday, January 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Oyapock River forms part of Brazil’s 400-mile border with the territory of this European country

Lucy Ricketts: 31400-1=31399 (2x = $64,499)
Josiah Jenkins: 9400+8=9408
Cameron Whiteside: 2300+2103=4403

Correct response:
Spoiler
France (Lucy – Suriname)

Daily Doubles
Cameron: minus 200-500
Lucy: 18200+4000
Lucy: 25400+4000

Coryats
Lucy: 26200
Josiah: 9400
Cameron: 2800

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lucy: 6600
Josiah: 4200
Cameron: minus 900
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thank you to the dozens of annoying Sporcle quizzes I've done that insist that France is one of the countries of South America for getting this FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cameron did prop comedy in the chat segment and played some of the game in the red along with coming in third.

Josiah got to plug The $8 Game Show:

Lucy once again converted DD2 and DD3 and this time she got the runaway. Bet nothing is what some advocate in that position while others want the wager to be a buck above whatever 2nd place could double to. Lucy bet a buck to at least keep those happy who want to see something at risk.

Funny that the guys well outclassed in the match both solved the FJ! clue while the 2x champ could not. And not only that Lucy did not properly process what was wanted in the clue unless she has a serious problem placing Suriname on map.

I was overdue for a miss considering I had 8 in a row going and this was the right spot to miss one as far as I'm concerned since it was geography. My coin went the wrong way in matching Lucy's thought though I did write a European country.

In such a wide open category the precall game is hard. Instead I did something I could handle in making sure I knew all the S.A. places and for kickers I reminded myself to not forget about the Philippines. Heh, not as wide open a category as I thought, I guess.

Great title defense by Lucy who made it look easy with plenty of cushion to spare.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TJF needed the chat segment so I'll share it here as well since it will probably generate comments: https://archive.org/details/2021-01-13chat
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Did pretty bad in Lyrical C.V. NHO Levon. No idea who sang it or when it's from. Also couldn't pull out Nvidia.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Provocation & Convocation, (Mississippi Delta), Jack, Canton, Nitroglycerin, Sixth Sense of Humor, Shipwrecks, The Naked and the Dead, Mandy Moore
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,200 (45R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

DD3 was a coinflip between Bob Fosse and Jerome Robbins and ended up landing on the wrong side. Would not have wagered aggressively in that category anyway. I found the Pros/Cons tough because in most cases, one of the two halves had two (or more) possibilities that started with Pro or Con, then by the time I'm halfway done scanning through the possibilities, my 2 seconds are up.

Instaget FJ for this geography buff.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lucy put her lock at risk with her last DD bet. If she had missed it and Josiah had gotten the last clue, Josiah would have funded his podcast for years to come.

Instaget FJ for me, also thanks to Sporcle.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

had No Idea on Final. i put Spain Down just to have Something.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: NHAs, lots of 4/5s
Daily Doubles: :D :D :roll: (NFI)
trash: Delta DD, canton, nitroglycerin, Jeremy, 6th sense of humor, shipwrecks
FJ: France owns the only colony left, WECIB. :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm 56 R (Did pretty bad in Lyrical C.V. NHO Levon. No idea who sang it or when it's from.)
Elton John
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Shouldn't the answer to the Mary Tyler Moore clue be "Mary Richards", the character in the show, not the actor?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bkellysky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm Shouldn't the answer to the Mary Tyler Moore clue be "Mary Richards", the character in the show, not the actor?
The gave character names, so yeah, it should be.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:41 pm
bkellysky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm Shouldn't the answer to the Mary Tyler Moore clue be "Mary Richards", the character in the show, not the actor?
Agreed. If they wanted Peter, Paul and Mary Tyler Moore, the clue should have been FOLK TRIO BEHIND "PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON" WHO WORKED WITH ED ASNER & TED KNIGHT. I wonder if the correct response was on Ken's card but he was told to accept the other one as well.

I was also expecting them to take back some money from Lucy on her switch from sun storms to sunspots. Ken said he hadn't ruled against her, but he clearly made a Nnnn- sound before she changed her response.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Insta get FJ. Every sporcle quiz about South America refers to French Guiana as France.

I'm thinking the correct answer to the before-and-after was Peter Paul and Mary Richards, because the clue referred to Lou Grant and Ted Baxter, two fictional characters, not the actors.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Cameron's interview was A+. Two hooves up.

====

-2/5 in Types of Movies. I said "weeper" at $200 and "3D" at $600.

National Heritage felt upside down. I thought parish and delta were far easier than Civil War.

I've never heard it said "half staff", only "half mast".

Strangely, got only $1,000 in Flag.

NHO "Levon". That seemed like an extremely deep cut. I recognized "Lola" and "Jeremy" but haven't heard either song that I know of, so I couldn't pull the lyrics.

Oyapock doesn't sound French to me at all, so it must be Dutch Guiana. Netherlands it is and OH FUCK YOU.

Lach Trash: Canton, sixth sense of humor, shipwreck. Also got the "delta" DD.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:41 pm
Agreed. If they wanted Peter, Paul and Mary Tyler Moore, the clue should have been FOLK TRIO BEHIND "PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON" WHO WORKED WITH ED ASNER & TED KNIGHT. I wonder if the correct response was on Ken's card but he was told to accept the other one as well.

I was also expecting them to take back some money from Lucy on her switch from sun storms to sunspots. Ken said he hadn't ruled against her, but he clearly made a Nnnn- sound before she changed her response.
The way the clue is worded, it could be interpreted as an actor or producer working with fictional characters to tell a story. Moore's production company produced the show, so she was functioning as both actor and producer. And those characters were an integral part of the story she was telling.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm awful at geography, but I guessed France simply because French Guiana exists. I vaguely know it's on the north and sort-of-eastern part of South America, which to me probably meant it bordered Brazil. I briefly flirted with Great Britain because of the Falklands, but that body of water would be the Atlantic. Portugal was quickly swatted away as being a simple Brazil-Portugal Pavlov that wouldn't be interesting enough for FJ!.

So many negs for me. Profuse/confuse for profound/confound. Solar flares for sun spots. There are more, but I was unnaturally trigger happy today. Maybe Alex's voice calmed me down to keep me from buzzing in.

Not a fuddy-duddy, but I wasn't a fan of the hooves. Not in a "I'm going to quit watching" way, but in a "please use this as a spice and not as a main ingredient" kind of way.