2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Pelosi has threatened impeachment if the 25th amendment isn’t invoked.

An issue with the 25th is that four departments currently don’t have an official Senate approved heads (Chao just quit) so I don’t know if acting Secretaries could vote.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:49 pm I agree but I fear invoking the 25th amendment would only make him more of a martyr and make his followers even crazier. I follow several mainstream news pages (and one far right one) in the heart of Trump country and they are already pretty bad.
Yeah, I've got to agree. We're two weeks out from having a new President. I'm really hoping at this point the shenanigans are done with.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:25 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:49 pm I agree but I fear invoking the 25th amendment would only make him more of a martyr and make his followers even crazier. I follow several mainstream news pages (and one far right one) in the heart of Trump country and they are already pretty bad.
Yeah, I've got to agree. We're two weeks out from having a new President. I'm really hoping at this point the shenanigans are done with.
In life, only three things are certain: death, taxes, and Trump not being done with his shenanigans.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Trumpism will control the GOP for years to come, even after he dies. I honestly believe the Democrats don’t win those two Senate seats if he had gracefully conceded after the election.

I just wonder how a Congressional district that is home to actual rocket scientists is represented by Mo Brooks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm
In life, only three things are certain: death, taxes, and Trump not being done with his shenanigans.
Point taken. I just don't really think there's time to remove Trump using either the 25th Amendment or impeachment.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Maybe if I rush production I can make a quick profit on I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO SHENANIGAN t-shirts. Get your pre-orders in now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:49 pm
Point taken. I just don't really think there's time to remove Trump using either the 25th Amendment or impeachment.
I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope nothing happens tomorrow. Pelosi is probably a Jeopardy fan, so we may be in luck.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

At Candlestick Park there was no entrance to the visitors locker room from the visitors dugout. Instead it was a long walk along the first base line. The kind of greeting that Lasorda received during the stroll was always a highlight of a Dodgers game as it could be like a star wrestler popping the crowd.
Golf

Post by Golf »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:11 pm Tommy Lasorda, longtime manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers and member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, has died at the age of 93.
I ran into Lasorda about 25 years ago, he looked old then. Good for him for making it to 93.

And of course nice call on the PH in game 1 of the 1988 WS.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lasorda was one of a kind. From a Braves fan, RIP Tommy.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 pm President Trump was impeached for a record 2nd time.
Impeachments per year served:

Trump 0.5
A. Johnson 0.26
Clinton 0.125
All others 0
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I realize this may be more for Reretaken Down than the current events discussion thread, but what are some other uncommon things that several people have done once, but only one has done twice? Robert Lopez's double EGOT is the only thing I can think of.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FDR was elected to two terms twice.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Peyton Manning won his first Super Bowl with his current team twice.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Rod Laver twice completed the Grand Slam in singles play.
Jim Lovell traveled to the Moon twice without landing there.
Ron Hassey was the catcher for two different MLB perfect games.
Eddie Arcaro won the Triple Crown on both Whirlaway and Citation.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Roger Clemens twice struck out 20 batters in a game. Kerry Wood and Max Scherzer each did it once.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 am Siegfried Fischbacher, of Siegfried & Roy, dies at age 81 of pancreatic cancer.
You're lion!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Richard Burton married Elizabeth Taylor twice.

Recommend moving this thread to a new thread.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

A Newsweek poll on January 6th showed that 45% of Republicans supported the assault on the Capitol. Another Newsweek poll today shows that 69% of Republicans believe that antifa was involved or responsible for the incident.

I’m used to inconsistency and double talk but this level of gold medal mental gymnastics is something else.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think that obviously political posts should be in Reretaken Down instead of this thread. Not a criticism of you, Matt, I just think it will work better that way.